Newsletter #2

https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/ultima-online-newsletter-2?fbclid=IwAR1ePPN5RXQNcO3Wyv35NTcZnuCDYZF922Gvv7Ikp5TxzRAzhrw1ba4tu4Q

Not sure if I’m happy about this NL since I’m not interested in Legacy. 

Ossein Ram and Frostmite? Really?

What about dinosaurs? Triceratops perhaps?

QoL update? That would also be nice

Discuss kindly 

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    @Kyronix @Bleak ; Go back to the original idea of adding saddles and saddle bags to all pets.  I have confidence in the artists.  Lock em in the Dungeon until they have it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I would demand that seasons etc are out on production shards aswell but I fear something will get broken in the process 
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    I'm not sure why the weather and climate enhance is a NL release but not a general production release. 
    edited October 2020
    Pawain said:
    @ Kyronix @ Bleak  Go back to the original idea of adding saddles and saddle bags to all pets.  I have confidence in the artists.  Lock em in the Dungeon until they have it.
    If dragon is rideable i think it can attract some players to come back. 
  • qweryqwery Posts: 23
    I'd love to see the Climate system implemented on the usual shards.
    And... if I could ride the Capybara, I'd like to ride the Dragon Turtle.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I like the perpetual summer weather - it's actually spot on where I live! LOL
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    Pawain said:
    @ Kyronix @ Bleak  Go back to the original idea of adding saddles and saddle bags to all pets.  I have confidence in the artists.  Lock em in the Dungeon until they have it.
    You're right @Pawain ;

I'll add, why vanity mounts aren't 5 slots trainable? I mean it worth 1000 sov and I know a lot of people who would spend cash to get them but since they are useless for tamers, they don't buy it. It's easy to make them like average stats pets. They are sitting on a pile of cash and they doesn't seems how to gather it.

edited November 2020
    Aayla said:
    Pawain said:
    You're right @ Pawain 

I'll add, why vanity mounts aren't 5 slots trainable? I mean it worth 1000 sov and I know a lot of people who would spend cash to get them but since they are useless for tamers, they don't buy it. It's easy to make them like average stats pets. They are sitting on a pile of cash and they doesn't seems how to gather it.

this is just the same as all other weapons / armors that are selling in the store. The one you get from drop ("free") is always way more powerful than those you buy from store with real money. 

The revenue model of mobile / online game nowadays is to sell the most powerful equipment in store (I think everyone knows how Tencent is making money) but UO has been running the opposite for many years. In fact, they let other people to be benefited by running those gold / powerscrolls / gear selling web sites. 

Can you imagine how much money they could have been made if cameo or as simple as gold can be bought from the store? How about bringing back Castle or Tower deed in the store because we have so many land now (sorry Alt but on the other hand it won't hurt existing castle owner as people won't be able to find a land to place it at the first place)? 

To test the water try releasing eodon cameo in the store and see how it goes. 
  • Money money money..I have seen many postst in the past about just not sell the best stuff for real money and still charge monthly for the game. I bet it would be a misstake to change that..
    edited October 2020
    like it or not best stuff are selling for real money now, and i’m not saying the best item should be store exclusive, but can also be obtainable via playing. Just there is a 2nd channel to get the item which is exactly the same as current state. 

And probably once they’ve started selling they can reduce the subscription fee so everyone is happy too.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Has EA ever lowered a gaming subscription fee?  I doubt it.
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    Money money money..I have seen many postst in the past about just not sell the best stuff for real money and still charge monthly for the game. I bet it would be a misstake to change that..
    I'm not saying they should change that.

They're doing half of the job. Why release cool vanity mount that no one use because they can't self rez OR can't be trained 5 slots? 

Other store release are deco or esthetics so it really doesn't touch my point and that's fine too.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    The store mounts can be made trainable to 5 slot without being a pay to win 'thing'. None of those mounts, even as 5 slot, would out-compete a mount you can tame and train in-game. They just look different. Additionally, since the statuettes and pets are tradable, players can choose to pay in-game gold/items to a player to obtain one. It would benefit UO across the board if the store mounts could be fully trainable. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, to the topic of the thread: I think it's best to test the new seasons with the new shard. If, for whatever reason, it does not work out then the rest of the shards won't be effected. I think this can hold true for all manner of new mechanics. But I agree - once the kinks are worked out, I want stuff like this to be applied to the 'classic' shards as well.

Personally, since UO has a global player base, I would love to have a setting in options to CHOOSE which season is displayed to you in addition to the default changing of the seasons. And while they are at it, a setting to turn off desolation in fel rulesets if one so chooses.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2020
    allows us to go even further with presenting players with unique choices as they outfit themselves for the best chance of success while exploring the far reaches of the most extreme climate regions!
    Above is related to the weather.

Legacy Server
    - So 4 seasons make up one year, which is just about time the shard is wiped.
    - The player has 3 mths to get the Spring gear and use it for the best chance of success...
    - Then when summer comes, he will need to get a new set again...
    - After getting 4 sets, the shard is wiped and restarted... the player will always need to re-equip every 3 months.

While I think the above works for new player introduction... I cannot imagine how it would work in regular shard - e.g. do we need winter coat to replace the epaulette in winter. Will need to see NLS to understand better. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • qweryqwery Posts: 23
    If it adds a lot of elements that make the PCs really feel like they live in that world, that's a very good thing.
    If the four seasons can exist, then I feel like I'd like to see more immersive elements like the Hunger system.