Black Gate Feedback

I didn't see an official post for this, so I figured I'd make one.

Compassion Sage. According to UOGuide it has a 1 in 50 (2% for those who don't like math) drop rate. I have farmed controllers for nearly two hours now and have yet to get one. This really needs bumped up in some way. It's incredibly discouraging and not fun whatsoever killing controllers ad nauseam. I planned on doing this quest 8 times, or however many as I can, to trade for what I don't get. But as is, I barely want to do it once.

Can the drop rate be raised to at least 20% or add an additional means of obtaining this.

Comments

• On another note, the controllers began to spawn where they can't be hit in the southwest room of Exodus Dungeon. It's been over an hour since I paged a GM about this and I have yet to receive a response, have the controllers moved to where they can be killed, or even get a "you're x in line" message that I vaguely remember receiving in the past.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

Say again ?

Talk me through it, should I be farming this stuff in advance?

Yeah, Compassion Sage has always been a really rare drop.

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    You will need one for every time you do quest. I started on my home shard too. I remember it taking forever to get one to drop. (I won't say how lucky I was when I went tonight and got one on the second controller I killed.)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Some off topic posts were removed. Please do not hijack this thread.

Ok in response to this, I don't think the farming of Compassion Sage is too bad.

I went to Exodus, I pulled the spawn away from a room, 2 controllers spawn almost constantly, and the drop rate is about 1 every 15 minutes. My mage is in SDI gear, and 1 shot kills each Controller, they are easy to kill, with protection on.

I've got 6 so far.

I actually think that is fairly balanced for this type of thing.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    If memory serves the controllers in and around Mistas also drop compassion sage.
  • .any controller in ilshenar drops them
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• I had more drops with a melee character than with pets or mage if it can help with drops 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    the drop rate seems fine to me but i have been fishing for three months... take your bard they are still kings in Exodus !
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    has anyone finished quest what is the reward?
  • Cookie said:

Ok in response to this, I don't think the farming of Compassion Sage is too bad.

I went to Exodus, I pulled the spawn away from a room, 2 controllers spawn almost constantly, and the drop rate is about 1 every 15 minutes. My mage is in SDI gear, and 1 shot kills each Controller, they are easy to kill, with protection on.

I've got 6 so far.

I actually think that is fairly balanced for this type of thing.

My mage also one shots them. My guild mate used his fire beetle in another area. Between the two of us we got 0 after 4+ man hours. 
  • CFCMAGICCFCMAGIC Posts: 9
    edited September 2020
    What is this used for, Is it going to be used for the new quest in Minoc?  

I went to Exodus and killed approx 12 controllers and got one. 
    edited September 2020
    CFCMAGIC said:

It is used for one of the 'mini' quest from Julia.
    McDougle said:

The reward is the virtue stone tile.
    1600317416658png

*Edited to add the picture I found on another post.
    You receive a random virtue tile - not necessarily the one you will see in your reward gump. They are shard bound.
    Marge said:
    CFCMAGIC said:

McDougle said:

1600317416658png

You receive a random virtue tile - not necessarily the one you will see in your reward gump. They are shard bound.
    ohooohoh just the type of pixel crack i live for these days !!
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    edited September 2020
    @Kyronix My only complaint is that you get a random Virtue Stone.  I would rather pick mine from a list.  I did it last night on my t-hunter/tamer and it wasn't too bad.  I ended up with 4 Compassion Sage by going to a room in the NW corner  of Exodus Dungeon in about 30 minutes so even that's not terrible.  I really wanted a Valor Stone but got Sacrifice.

Big thanks to @Cinderella for her help getting me started on the quest and gating a few of us to the different Quest Givers.  I only have 2 chars on Origin that could do the quest since it definitely requires someone with fighting ability. 
  • ZekeTerra said:
    @ Kyronix My only complaint is that you get a random Virtue Stone.  I would rather pick mine from a list.  I did it last night on my t-hunter/tamer and it wasn't too bad.  I ended up with 4 Compassion Sage by going to a room in the NW corner  of Exodus Dungeon in about 30 minutes so even that's not terrible.  I really wanted a Valor Stone but got Sacrifice.

Big thanks to @ Cinderella for her help getting me started on the quest and gating a few of us to the different Quest Givers.  I only have 2 chars on Origin that could do the quest since it definitely requires someone with fighting ability. 
    What was your luck? I tried with 0 and 1100 and still haven’t got sage. 
  • 0 luck
  • So two people have gotten absurd results for a 2% drop rate. Based on my guild's experience, plus the complaints in gen chat, they are extreme outliers.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited September 2020
    2 to 3 hours, that was all I could stand. Got 6. 0 luck.  But I was constantly invising and e bolt.  Lots of them in exodus dungeon. Killed many. I'm sure Popps will write a comprehensive treatise on the subject when he finds out he needs to do this.  Repetitive killing of same thing, skilling, puzzles, all things I hate.

I found 0 vanilla seeds.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited September 2020
    So two people have gotten absurd results for a 2% drop rate. Based on my guild's experience, plus the complaints in gen chat, they are extreme outliers.

I'm not sure my results were absurd, I think they were maybe slightly better than average, nothing more.

Like Zeke, I had 0 Luck and I went to NW corner of Exodus, I pulled all the other spawn away, leaving me with 2 constantly spawning controllers = 1 every 30 seconds. That's an expected rate of 1 Compassion Sage every 25 minutes.

I did stay for a 7th Compassion Sage, my average went down (I actually think I got tired, and slowed down killing), maybe it was 1 every 20 minutes.

There are so many controllers in Exodus, and they respawn instantly almost. in exactly the same areas, just pick an area, and own it.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited September 2020
    Or just run around and kill them all.  Too bad you have to be in war mode to auto open corpses. Invis takes you out. Spend more time trying to get the corpse open than killing.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I farmed 25 in about 2 hours last night... it'll be much slower when the quest is active though due to the amount of other people farming them, with a sampire of course.

farming just one room is slower but perhaps more comfortable.  it's much faster if you just run room-to-room and kill controllers ignoring the rest of exodus dungeon, less down-time waiting for respawns.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited September 2020
    I went this morning for about 4 hours and got 31 with two tamers.  I was the only one there and just lured spawn out of two rooms which left 2 controllers in each room.   The drop rate was much better than reading this thread led me to expect, hence why I went.  If you had to compete for mobs it would be a pita tho.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • DrowyDrowy Posts: 128

Compassion Sage. According to UOGuide it has a 1 in 50 (2% for those who don't like math) drop rate. I have farmed controllers for nearly two hours now and have yet to get one. This really needs bumped up in some way. It's incredibly discouraging and not fun whatsoever killing controllers ad nauseam. I planned on doing this quest 8 times, or however many as I can, to trade for what I don't get. But as is, I barely want to do it once.

Can the drop rate be raised to at least 20% or add an additional means of obtaining this.

Just to be sure, did you look in the corpses? Because its not a drop in your bag, but you have to loot it.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    Marge said:
    CFCMAGIC said:

McDougle said:

1600317416658png

any function for this or just decor??
  • Drowy said:

Just to be sure, did you look in the corpses? Because its not a drop in your bag, but you have to loot it.
    Yes. Three hours and I have yet to get one. My guildmate finally got one. Not sure on his time, but I know it was around two hours.

I one hit kill them. I lured the spawn away and was killing two in a room. I have the quest. I checked every body and moved every item to be sure.

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited September 2020
    Drowy said:

Yes. Three hours and I have yet to get one. My guildmate finally got one. Not sure on his time, but I know it was around two hours.

I one hit kill them. I lured the spawn away and was killing two in a room. I have the quest. I checked every body and moved every item to be sure.

You must have the suckiest luck in UO. As i said, tamer and 2 controllers in  two rooms, I got 31 in around 4 hrs farming.  That is like avg of 15 per room in 4hrs per tamer.  I didn't even bring the second tamer along until after the first hour as I waited to see if anyone else was wanting to farm but after seeing no one else went and got the other one in.  So technically was less than 4 hrs ea

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • A suggestion to people not getting drops on this is, Try another character and and add some luck to your suit. I farmed for 4 hours on one character and got 0 drops, changed to another fighter and added luck to suit/hit the luck statue and started getting one about every 15 or so controllers. We all know what a streaky little punk our RNG is so you need to mess with it's head now and again.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

1600317416658png

Just Deco

• AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    Marge said:

1600317416658png

Just Deco