Slayer spellbook

AragornAragorn Posts: 293
edited August 2020 in General Discussions
Can we craft spell book with slayer property by using inscription? 

I did crafted ~ 30 spell books with 100 magery skill. While most of them don't have a single property, the rest are + skill or lower mana or lower reagents. Uogide (https://www.uoguide.com/Inscription) doesn't mention about slayer property as well. I don't want to waste further blank scrolls just to test without knowing the chance so i want to ask here. 

However I do have a few slayer spellbooks but most likely i got them from player vendors so I wanted to know how they can be obtained. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Yes you can but will need to craft tons.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I crafted them for awhile.  Do a vendor search and buy some cheap items with high luck and make a luck suit.  I only wore the suit I made when I was making books or turning in quest items to the Heartwood elves.  I think I did about thirty books at a time and usually got one regular slayer with each batch.  Super slayers are rare.  I did not get any of those.  I think I only made a couple of hundred books and got a fair selection of slayers.  I bought the other ones that I needed.
    Most of the books you craft will be junk that just takes up room in your inventory.  You can sell them to the mage npcs, at a loss of course.  But my experience was that the regular slayers that I crafted cost me a lot less than they would have cost if I had bought them from a vendor.
    Super slayers generally sell for about 1 million gold on my shard but you will likely have to craft many more books that I did to get one.
    Note:  You can put you name on the exceptional ones.  That always looks good.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    edited August 2020
    Thanks both, I will try my luck when I have time then. 

Thanks for mentioning about selling to NPC mage, I was throwing away all those useless spell book straight into the bin. 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Also wanted to note that talismans help. Anything close to 30% bonus / 30% exceptional bonus is worth having. Additionally, the talismans that have “Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement” that you get from BOD rewards helps with this as well. I just got one of these recently and used it once when making a Scrappers Compendium and it gave me a water elemental slayer.

I also read recently that having 120 magery also helps with the intensity of the spell books you craft, so that could be another aspect. 

I had no idea luck was a factor as well... I’m going to have to put my luck suit on going forward. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Aragorn said:
    Can we craft spell book with slayer property by using inscription? 

I did crafted ~ 30 spell books with 100 magery skill. While most of them don't have a single property, the rest are + skill or lower mana or lower reagents. Uogide (https://www.uoguide.com/Inscription) doesn't mention about slayer property as well. I don't want to waste further blank scrolls just to test without knowing the chance so i want to ask here. 

However I do have a few slayer spellbooks but most likely i got them from player vendors so I wanted to know how they can be obtained. 

Thanks. 
    @Aragorn

Yes you can, and there is a way to better your chances at making some....

From https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/inscription/inscription-craftables/

** When crafting a spellbook there is a chance it will get up to 3 magical properties.
    These properties can be Faster Casting, Faster Cast Recovery, Lower Mana Cost, Lower Reagent Cost, Mana Increase, Mana Regeneration, Spell Damage Increase, Intelligence Bonus, Slayer (random) and a few mage related Skills(Magery, Eval. Int., Meditation and Resist).

All the properties can be up to 80% of the intensity range they normally spawn in.

The amount and intensity of the properties on a spellbook depends on your magery skill. At 80 Magery you can get 1 property, at 90 Magery you can get 2 properties and at 100 Magery you can get 3 properties. At 110 and 120 Magery you can still only get 3 properties, but you will have a higher chance of getting them.
    Furthermore, the Inscription BODs https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/inscription/inscription-bulk-orders/ give as a Reward a Spellbook Improvement Talisman that also provides +crafting success and +exceptional chance bonuses.

https://www.uoguide.com/Guaranteed_Spellbook_Improvement_Talisman

So, if the Scribe has 100 Inscription, 120 Magery and is using a Guaranteed Improvement Talisman, the chances at inscribing a spellbook with Properties should increase.

Good luck.

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    If you do the Friends of the Library quest, you can turn in the extra spellbooks.
    What I’m wondering now is if you need 120 real skill or if +20 magery jewelry would be all you need 
    Oh, one more thing.  Be careful to segregate the books you sell back to NPCs.  Maybe have a non casting character sell them back. I accidentally sold them one of my better slayers.  You don’t want to do that.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    Thanks everyone for the comments, they are all excellent tips and very helpful indeed!
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I thought 120 Eval also boosts the mod intensity as well?  I may be wrong...
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Reading this thread I realised the linked wiki page makes no mention of properties on necromancy or mysticism spellbooks. That will be corrected.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mariah said:
    Reading this thread I realised the linked wiki page makes no mention of properties on necromancy or mysticism spellbooks. That will be corrected.
    @Mariah

Is it possible to Craft Necromancy and Mysticism spellbooks with properties on them ?

I had no idea....

Is it like with Magery spellbooks where having 120 in the skill (that would be Necromancy and Mysticism...) would increase the chances of inscribing Necromancy and Mysticism spellbooks with properties on them ?

Also, does the BODs reward Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement Talisman also works when crafting Necromancy and Mysticism spellbooks to have properties on them ?

Lastly, how many properties can Necromancy and Mysticism spellbooks be crafted with as maximus ? With up to 3 properties as with Magery spellbooks ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Yes it is possible to craft all spell books with properties, provided you have the appropriate skill. Exactly the same criteria apply.
    I have not tested the BoD reward talisman, but I would expect that it would

Skill bonuses are relevant to the book type, where magery books have +magery, + eval & +medi, Necro books have +necromancy & +spirit speak & + medi, mysticism +mysticism & + Focus. All can have + resist spells.
    Mariah said:
    Yes it is possible to craft all spell books with properties, provided you have the appropriate skill. Exactly the same criteria apply.
    I have not tested the BoD reward talisman, but I would expect that it would

Skill bonuses are relevant to the book type, where magery books have +magery, + eval & +medi, Necro books have +necromancy & +spirit speak & + medi, mysticism +mysticism & + Focus. All can have + resist spells.
    Woww I had no idea this is how it works. That’s really cool. I guess this means that in order to be a true scribe, you need those 3 magic skills. Currently my scribe is treasure hunter and miner. I have to reevaluate some things.
  • A long time ago, I crafted a full set of super slayers. I did this on my crafter who has 100 magery. I would say it can take around 400 books to get a super slayer.