Suggestion: Looking for group tool

I wont be negative since the dev's sure get sick of complaints I'm sure. Lots of other games have implemented a tool to bring players together for dungeons, raids etc. UO should too. A simple user interface that puts people into groups or a que would get me playing a lot more. I'm not big on guilds, I prefer to do my thing and log. Even on atl it can be hard to find people to do things, since lots of people play multiple accounts so they can get all the rewards themselves. The LFG chat channel is fairly useless, most people look for groups in gen chat. There needs to be a system to bring people together to do content. Some people cant make guild times, or multi client, and just want to log on and do something. A nice tool to put people together would be great!

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Have you tried Gen Chat? It has it's fair share of trolls talking smack but if you spam a few time that you are looking to do some relevant context you would probably find people to do so... it might just take you doing the leg work (ie. you gather the keys to do exodus or golden skull to hit doom). I've had pretty good success doing this with Corgul/Scalis/Doom. That said, you never know the skills of people joining so it could be good or bad.
  • XrisXris Posts: 130
    keven2002 said:
    Have you tried Gen Chat? It has it's fair share of trolls talking smack but if you spam a few time that you are looking to do some relevant context you would probably find people to do so... it might just take you doing the leg work (ie. you gather the keys to do exodus or golden skull to hit doom). I've had pretty good success doing this with Corgul/Scalis/Doom. That said, you never know the skills of people joining so it could be good or bad.
    I play weird hours, sometimes gen chat is dead. Plus it's just a giant pain, I dont want to have to spam gen chat for 30min to find people to do stuff. Wow had this problem and they had 20x more players, so they added a LFG tool. It was very successful. 
    Understood but do you think a "LFG tool" is going to solve the problem if Gen Chat is dead (same people that might be using LFG) due to weird hours? Don't want to dismiss your request but there are other ways to find groups (Gen Chat & Guild Chat) so just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't work (to help find a hunting party) but that is just my 2 cents.
    keven2002 said:
    Understood but do you think a "LFG tool" is going to solve the problem if Gen Chat is dead (same people that might be using LFG) due to weird hours? Don't want to dismiss your request but there are other ways to find groups (Gen Chat & Guild Chat) so just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't work (to help find a hunting party) but that is just my 2 cents.

Glad you added nothing meaningful here. I said I cant find people in gen chat and cant make guild times. Your response was use gen chat or guild. Not sure why you dont want a lfg tool, it's a popular feature in most mmos. Lots of people dont use gen chat in general, this is a tool to bring people together.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited July 2020
    Why would complete strangers (meaning people like yourself with weird play times that don't want to be in a guild) suddenly use a tool so they can all meet up at their weird times...yet not consider simply creating a Weird Play Times guild ? Your request makes no sense. You dont' want to shout out in GC because there's no one on, yet you think there are these tons of people at at your weird times, that don't answer, that don't want to join a guild with each other, Oh but they're perfectly willing able and ready to use this magical tool....
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Why would complete strangers (meaning people like yourself with weird play times that don't want to be in a guild) suddenly use a tool so they can all meet up at their weird times...yet not consider simply creating a Weird Play Times guild ? Your request makes no sense. You dont' want to shout out in GC because there's no one on, yet you think there are these tons of people at at your weird times, that don't answer, that don't want to join a guild with each other, Oh but they're perfectly willing able and ready to use this magical tool....

Yeah that's how lots of mmo's do it.....go try WoW, everyone is assuming that most players are in gen chat, or read it. This magical tool does exist and is very popular in lots of games. Its speeds up grouping times, and helps players learn the content. 
    Thanks @Garth_Grey; well said. 

@Xris - stop getting so defensive because people don't agree with you. I could honestly just have said that your request adds nothing meaningful because we already have the tools but i took the time to explain them in case you didn't know. I was simply pointing out exactly what Garth said. You are saying you can't find people using the current options we have that work as LFG tool so you are literally asking for DEVs to spend time on another LFG tool that's called "LFG tool".

The truth is, if nobody is online playing when you are no tool will help with that.

You say this LFG tool helps players learn the content but that is literally what Global Chat is all about (there is a Help channel too) and that's not even considering guilds like LLTS etc that help new players. I think you should probably give the "tools" that are already in place a try before posting on here for DEVs to duplicate what we already have and maybe try taking some friendly advice instead of getting bent out of shape about it.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Maybe he is like me and many players have him on Ignore.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Pawain said:

:D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I happen to agree that a LFG would be a good thing.
    Not everybody is in General Chat.
    I usually turn off General Chat on Atlantic, because I don't want to listen to all the pvp talk.
    And when I play in EC, I don't notice EC chat when I'm busy.

If a LFG was in game, then you can instantly know if someone wanted to do the same thing as you. Or if there was enough people to do the event that you want to do. There are players who usually aren't in guilds, but who would like to go out and do the content.

For example, when i first played, I would play late at night. I was never in General Chat, because thats where the trash talk was. If you asked for help, they would degrade your char. All they cared about was "yo momma" jokes. So when I went to a vendor near Trinsic, I didn't expect to be attacked by brigands. I died instantly. I asked in GC for help and i got the typical reply of the time. so i would run to the healer and come back for my body. It took me probably 20 times to get my body back to the bridge at Trinsic. By then I lost all my gold to insure. And on the last time, they looted my corpse. So after that, it was years before I talked in General Chat.

And I know people who don't use it today, but who would help someone if they needed it. Don't forget the people who don't like to be in guilds, but come out for the new content. If there was a LFG, then they could participate without having to join a guild. Don't get me wrong, guilds are great. There are people who just don't want to join.
  • As for using general chat to LFG: people using the classic client, general chat is useful if you are not doing anything. If you are out fighting, etc all the spam that this game generates just pushes all the text right off the screen or even off the journal. And the journal is hard as heck to read because very little can be done to customize it. What the CC needs is the ability to have multiple movevable chat windows (or journals) for the CC instead of one big journal that you cannot customize to suit your needs like almost every other MMO.
  • Pawain said:
    Did you guys hear something?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
     :D 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.