mystical polymorph totem usage question

I'm unsure of what you can use it on. I thought by the description it meant you could target a monster but it just says "item must be in your backpack" when I try it (the totem is in my backpack). There is one question on the forum about this and it sounds like you can use it on monster npc's. Is this just for player clothes? 

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    It is for costumes so they don't take up a hand slot.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited July 2020
    It is for Halloween Costumes.  Click one in your backpack.  Can only be used on 1 costume per totem so pick the one you want.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain - that is the totem of Chromatic fortune.

Marge said:
    Pawain - that is the totem of Chromatic fortune.

10 minute rule.  Dont reply to me before I can edit.  :D
    :D
  • JeddakJeddak Posts: 10
    edited July 2020
    Had never heard of that. Makes more sense now from what I read here in another thread now. Wish it would of mentioned that in the description as anyone returning to the game after that halloween costume thing would have no way to know. So it's totally useless otherwise. Got it. Thanks.
  • JeddakJeddak Posts: 10
    Just for future reference. Years ago, the game made available costumes for halloween. Now these weren't actual costumes but polymorphs (like the spell) that when you held the item in your hand it made you look like a monster. There were many different costumes you could get then but now the only way to get them is to buy them from a player. The UO Store has an item "mystical polymorph totem" that if you use it on a costume in your inventory bag it transfers that costume to the totem (destroying the costume item and forever making the totem dedicated to that costume in a one time deal) so each time you click on it you look like that costume. THIS IS THE ONLY THING IT DOES. I repeat (ok nm). It has a time limit but it's fairly long. Click it again and you revert to your real form. This is good because that item in your hand could be destroyed by fighting while holding it and it took up a your hand slot. I got one of the common forms and did this process but it wasn't cheap(by my standards since I just came back to the game a month ago so I don't have millions) and it was the only one for sale. I like it alot but I came from a time in UO's historyh where roleplaying was more common. Atlantic has more available for sale. Devs if you read this consider letting us buy a totem that makes those costumes. Then you could sell us 2 totems that have a useful function in today's game.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Khal Ankur no longer drops costumes?
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    edited July 2020
    dvvid said:
    Khal Ankur no longer drops costumes?

i believe they said that you can still get the costumes, the only thing they removed from that dungeon was the drops & the stealables from the chests.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    you can get the giant toad or zombie costume from cleanup points (75,000 pts each)
    I have hundreds of costumes.  I got 5 or 6 from IDOCs this week. It is not temporary. It turns you into what you want when you click it and stays until you choose to click it again. You can not be mounted while using it.

I use 2 of them.  My Archer is a Centaur. They can be fun also.  Use the centaur at Oaks.  I use a Gore Fiend at Lich spawn.  Lots of fun chasing around the others there.

Since the OP bought this from a vendor he did not know how it works.
    The store tells you how it works:

temp.bmp 148.1K
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    I coupled my totem with the wisp costume. It's great floating around as a SMALL shining light, and still be fully capable of dealing your max damage  ;) 
     :) 
  • Khal Ankur spawn in Khaldun still drops Costumes. I personally love the new Drake Costumes, such as Crimson Drake, Platinum Drake, and Stygian Drake. My Disco/Tamer uses the Stygian Drake Costume in the Totem, since he's usually using non-ridable 5 slot pets anyways.

Using Costumes has other benefits as well, particularly when facing Changelings. If a Changeling transforms into you while wearing a Costume, not only does he not gain the base resists from your armor, but he also becomes vulnerable to whatever Slayer your form is weak to. My Stygian Drake Costume, makes Irk and Travesty vulnerable to Dragon/Reptile Slayer if they transform into me. My Sampire uses Wraith Form to make Irk and Renegade Changeling Paragons vulnerable to Undead Slayer, then tears into them.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I recently coupled a totem with a zombie custom. It makes fighting the changelings in the sandy area of the Twisted Weald a quick fight as long as they don't cast paralyze on me. I need to up my resisting spells skill more to counter that.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Khal Ankur spawn in Khaldun still drops Costumes. I personally love the new Drake Costumes, such as Crimson Drake, Platinum Drake, and Stygian Drake. My Disco/Tamer uses the Stygian Drake Costume in the Totem, since he's usually using non-ridable 5 slot pets anyways.

Using Costumes has other benefits as well, particularly when facing Changelings. If a Changeling transforms into you while wearing a Costume, not only does he not gain the base resists from your armor, but he also becomes vulnerable to whatever Slayer your form is weak to. My Stygian Drake Costume, makes Irk and Travesty vulnerable to Dragon/Reptile Slayer if they transform into me. My Sampire uses Wraith Form to make Irk and Renegade Changeling Paragons vulnerable to Undead Slayer, then tears into them.

Thanks for the tip @PlayerSkillFTW.

When I wear the costume mask, the sampire does not change its look unless I remove Vampiric Embrace.

Does this still work if I put on the costume but stay in Vampire form, but the look does not change to say a dragon?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Tried, it does not work for sampire. Even when I use the costume to become a drake, then cast Vampiric Embrace, it changes back to elf form. The buff bar shows I am a drake, but the changeling copy my elf form and is not vulnerable to dragon slayer weapon.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited August 2020
    Seth said:
    Tried, it does not work for sampire. Even when I use the costume to become a drake, then cast Vampiric Embrace, it changes back to elf form. The buff bar shows I am a drake, but the changeling copy my elf form and is not vulnerable to dragon slayer weapon.

Why i use Wraith Form to make them vulnerable to Undead Slayer. My Sampire has GM SS, so i can just cast Curse Weapon to still have Life Drain while in Wraith Form.
    Curse Weapon+GM SS Wraith Form=50% Hit Life Drain/20% Hit Mana Drain.
    Curse Weapon+Vamp Form=70% Hit Life Drain.
    Seth said:

Why i use Wraith Form to make them vulnerable to Undead Slayer. My Sampire has GM SS, so i can just cast Curse Weapon to still have Life Drain while in Wraith Form.
    Curse Weapon+GM SS Wraith Form=50% Hit Life Drain/20% Hit Mana Drain.
    Curse Weapon+Vamp Form=70% Hit Life Drain.
    Yeah, I know about the Necro Wraith form, but the discussion was related to the totem with costume. 

The costume only works in normal form (not wraith or vampire). Meaning the sampire cannot wear a Drake costume, and make the Travesty change to a Drake so that the sampire can kill it with a dragon slayer.