possible bug -- my character cannot cast Bless spell

When my Gargoyle (Mystic Bladeweaver and Discorder) casts the Bless spell, it fails every time. He has 0 actual Magery, but the ring and bracelet he wears both grant +13 magery, for a total of 26.  He can cast other third circle spells such as Teleport and Wall of Stone, though.  My mage book says the 3rd circle spells have a success chance of 42.5%, and that seems about right for the other spells.  But he has cast Bless dozens of times, each one a sputter.

Thus I think this is either a bug, or there is some unwritten dependency on needing Eval Int. to cast Bless (his Eval is locked at 0). I tried the 2nd circle component spells, Agility, Cunning, and Strength.  They work, lasting a whole 5 seconds each. The fourth circle spell Recall is rated at 7.5% success.  I tested it, and at the 27th try in a row, it worked. With such a low rated success, I was not surprised and indeed happy to see it function at all.

This is not a huge deal, but I would like to understand why Bless does not work.  If it is supposed to work, I will report it as a bug. Maybe no one ever noticed this before. Humans with JOAT have Magery and Eval Int at an effective 20 skill level.  Only Gargoyles and Elves can truly have no Eval.
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    Bless' Strength is based on your Eval Int - so with 0 eval, Bless fizzles as it has 0 % bonuses and possibly 0 duration as well. 

Not a bug
  • InLorInLor Posts: 396
     :D 
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator

Rock said:

Thus I think this is either a bug, or there is some unwritten dependency on needing Eval Int. to cast Bless (his Eval is locked at 0).
    Not unwritten,  this page https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/magery/
    says:
    Even bless and curse type spells rely on Evaluate Intelligence for their powers, a grand master mage can fizzle casting a simple 3rd circle bless.
    And this page
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/an-introduction-to-spellcasting/
    says:
    Magery, without evaluate intelligence, is sometimes used in templates. In these cases the damage spells have little impact and some buff/debuff spells, such as ‘bless’ cannot be cast at all. The spells cast by these templates are mainly, though not exclusively, travel spells, healing and cure, invisibility and summoned creatures.

• RockRock Posts: 567
    @Mariah, heh, this time I did check the official Wiki, looking at its Magery Spells page. It seems I did not look deep enough.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)