The whole Governor thing needs to just GO

Luc_of_LegendsLuc_of_Legends Posts: 312
edited June 2020 in General Discussions
Seriously.   Either nobody runs or certain LARGE GUILDS spread enough money er Gold/Platinum around to BUY votes.  Really do we need an in game reminder of REAL WORLD POLITICS? ....I don't think so.   Right now, on Legends, the SAME PERSON is running unopposed for governor of Britain FOR THE FOURTH TIME.  I tried to run one of my characters that is loyal to Britain, and it won't accept nominations.   This person's guild and alliance has CONTROLLED THE GOVERNORSHIP OF ALL of the Legends towns repeatedly.  

MESANNA, KYRONIX, BLEAK, MISK AND ANYONE ELSE ON THE DEV TEAM IT IS TIME TO INSTITUTE TERMS LIMITS!  IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS COUNTRY IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS GAME!!!! 

If not then remove the WHOLE system from the game.

Thank you.

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    If Legends is on the same schedule as Chesapeake the deadline for nominations was days ago.
  • KazbarKazbar Posts: 8
    LOL for the first day on Atlantic someone for Moonglow had 117 votes. I don't even know how that is possible if it's one vote per account per shard. 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    There are posters on this very forum and over at the other one, that have a stranglehold on Governorships, you're wasting your breath here and there.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    Hey, this is my first time running for Governor, knock it off! :-) lol

Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited June 2020
    Seriously.   Either nobody runs or certain LARGE GUILDS spread enough money er Gold/Platinum around to BUY votes.  Really do we need an in game reminder of REAL WORLD POLITICS? ....I don't think so.   Right now, on Legends, the SAME PERSON is running unopposed for governor of Britain FOR THE FOURTH TIME.  I tried to run one of my characters that is loyal to Britain, and it won't accept nominations.   This person's guild and alliance has CONTROLLED THE GOVERNORSHIP OF ALL of the Legends towns repeatedly.  

MESANNA, KYRONIX, BLEAK, MISK AND ANYONE ELSE ON THE DEV TEAM IT IS TIME TO INSTITUTE TERMS LIMITS!  IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS COUNTRY IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS GAME!!!! 

Thank you.

Nominations were last week.  Clearly only 1 person ran for Governor in Britain.  So your first guess was correct.  Nobody wants to run.  But you found a way to make it drama.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU YELL AND SCREAM!!! 

MAYBE YOU CAN NOMINATE YOURSELF DURING THE NOMINATION WEEK AT THE NEXT ELECTION CYCLE.

On LS only one city has 2 people running for Governor.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    There are posters on this very forum and over at the other one, that have a stranglehold on Governorships, you're wasting your breath here and there.

Ya.  Ignorance is bliss. I am the Governor of Minoc on LS again.  I won by one vote again.  MINE.

That is a stranglehold?  Did you run for office?  Or just want to speculate or make up theories.

Nobody wants to go the the meetings once a month!  Especially on small shards.
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    Ok that's both sad and rather funny at the same time. 

Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    Just going to throw this out there, contrary to Pawain's claims... we RPers on Catskills thoroughly enjoy our monthly meetings to stir up IC chaos for the EMs to play off of.

But I will say the system is definitely in need of fixing. It's hardly fair that players can buy/ask for votes from people of other shards, who dont regularly play the shard in question and have no stake in who wins, solely because they want to have control of a seat. And for those that do it... all I can say is my opinion: that it's poor form and hardly adheres to the spirit of the system.
    Pawain said:

Ya.  Ignorance is bliss. I am the Governor of Minoc on LS again.  I won by one vote again.  MINE.

That is a stranglehold?  Did you run for office?  Or just want to speculate or make up theories.

you weren't on the list I was referring to :P

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    I should be on all the lists!  :/
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    I have removed one post from this thread. Please refer to the Terms of Service when posting on these forums. Please keep this discussion free of personal attacks.  
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The nomination period for governor elections is always the first week of June and December. Nominations this time started on Monday, 2nd June. Every town stone in the game had this information. The nomination period lasts for one week, after which the voting period lasts for a further week.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    I love it.

People slept thru the nomination time, then want the whole system redone. lol
  • Pawain said:

I personally don't care for the rp aspect. Some do and that's cool, but it's not for me. I only run to keep the town bonus active for everyone.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Jepeth said:
    If Legends is on the same schedule as Chesapeake the deadline for nominations was days ago.
    All the shards are.  There were several people that forgot and did not nominate themselves, then there are those that did nominate them self then were thinking that the EM had removed them when they check the stone after the nomination period was over with and not checking for Candidates.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • MalokMalok Posts: 48
    Is there any benefit to being gov other than a title? what can they control? 
    They can give city titles to Citizens and they control the city Buff.
  • TXEggplantTXEggplant Posts: 160
    It is very frustrating. Especially when the EM literally states in the meeting that they have to hold at least one event  a month or week or whatever and your city gets NOTHING. On Chessy, Moonglow has had one Governor-sponsored event in the last six month. Each meeting, the other cities governors awesomely role play with their reports ... and we get "It goes well." Really? It goes well?

Of course, when your governor has MULTIPLE accounts and castles all over the shard ... I guess they don't have time to run a few events here and there. For me, it's frustrating because I like to give people chances. I IM'd the EM and expressed my frustration, he told me to talk to the governor. I tried to talk to the Moonglow governor after one of the meetings. Nothing. I thought maybe they would have the decency to bow out gracefully since they aren't helping the RP area of the game at all. It's clear what matters to them and ... that's a shame. For them and for the game. Why bother if you're literally not going to do anything and just show up to say that all goes well? Then dead silence while everyone waits for additional anything that was just not forthcoming. It's pretty much all about rping and if you can't even do that for an hour a month, why even bother?

Moonglow was where I started, where I have all my Chessy homes and feel like it could be a lot more fun. It's not like we don't know who they are and have a general clue of how many accounts they have voting for themselves. Then to just show up and barely even be ... IDK ... present ... is ridiculous. On Chessy ... Moonglow's governor does nothing to promote the city and that is a shame. I'm sure it's where a majority of us started and still love but ... whatever. I can grab a house on Chessy anywhere and then just cancel the other one I have just for the second Moonglow house.

It's really pretty sad but the RP part of UO is a huge part for me and now ... I'm going to have to make up some story about how I left Moonglow and how it's been taken over by a lazy leader who is only seen during election season and to twirl gold in front of the King or something. And remark all my runes for my every day business.
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

Discord: txeggplant
    maithceol@gmail.com
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

No Problems with the system, I'd probably like to see it in Felucca as well.

Like many aspects of the game, you want it, you can get it if you play seriously enough for it.

It's not something I really take part in, I do use the Buffs, but I know many people who really enjoy that aspect of the game, and they play for it, and that's what a game is for.

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    It's like a lot of other stuff.  Overthought overdone.  Be glad I didn't design it, if I had it would be like:

Elections are held on December 1st and June 1st.  You have the whole ,months of November and May to click the stone and get on the ballot.

End of process.  No nominate yourself, get someone else to confirm you, wait a week  do something else, blah blah

Everything should be kept to its simplest form
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    IMO the only real thing that needs changed is how citizens choose/get their buffs.  Loyalty should be to a city, not to a buff... but 1 city can only have 1 buff... in essence warriors and mages can’t benefit from loyalty to the same city.

Let players select their own buff and leave the Governor “title” to the RPrs.
    I said it before, becoming a citizen of a town should give you Voting rights and allow you to click on the Trade Buff Stone and select whatever buff you want for whatever thing you're doing. It should be a drop down menu, not a single buff that someone with way too much UO time on their hands selects for you . There should also be Governors for every..EVERY city. And please stop picking EMs that don't have the available time to, you know, be an actual freaking EM.

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    becoming a citizen of a town should give you Voting rights and allow you to click on the Trade Buff Stone and select whatever buff you want for whatever thing you're doing. It should be a drop down menu

Pretty sure Sweetpeez asked for this at one of the meet and greets in the past and it was shot down. (Not the 'we will think about it' but the flat out 'no'.) I too still think its a good idea. Of course,  it would take away the fun of the death threats you get if you change the city buff. I mean who doesn't like those right? 

It's really pretty sad but the RP part of UO is a huge part for me and now ... I'm going to have to make up some story about how I left Moonglow and how it's been taken over by a lazy leader who is only seen during election season and to twirl gold in front of the King or something. And remark all my runes for my every day business.
    Governor Meeting tomorrow night - let the story begin! If you need anyone to help start a riot, Sweetz is always willing. She loves "fermenting uh REBOLUTION!"

• UOMariahUOMariah Posts: 1

Marge said:

Governor Meeting tomorrow night - let the story begin! If you need anyone to help start a riot, Sweetz is always willing. She loves "fermenting uh REBOLUTION!"

I can hardly wait to see this REBOLUTION!  I LOVE RIOTS!  I didn't know Governors could "twirl gold in front of the King"    I will have to try it... LOL

Roleplay is not everyone's Gameplay!  Some like it and some don'!. 

As a citizen, I will be sure to ask the King how much gold it takes to bribe him and when did it become anyone's business of how many accounts someone has..  Too Funny  :p

UO Mariah

“Karma has a surprising way of taking care of situations. All you have to do is to sit back and watch. “   

“Some people have so little going on in their lives, they would rather discuss yours.”

UO Mariah

“Karma has a surprising way of taking care of situations. All you have to do is to sit back and watch. “   

“Some people have so little going on in their lives, they would rather discuss yours.”

“Remember, people who try to bring you down are already below you.”

• TimTim Posts: 790
    I think the problem is how quick it is to change cities. If the buff was automatic but when you denounced you citizenships every other city decided you couldn't be trusted nocking your rep back to negative. You would then have to spend effort and time to get accepted into another city. Only waiting a week to change in my opinion is way to short. This would give the player a vested interest in the city government not just what city has the best buffs this week.
  • SoulTrainSoulTrain Posts: 1

Thank you.

Thank you.

Good morning/evening to All,

stop whining like kids and act like adults. The developers did/do theire best to keep this game alive. Watching the most posts here or on stratics is like having joined the playschool!

Its on You to use the tools in the right way u have been given of the Developers....  and yes some players wont play fair.... get the community to follow you if you think there must be a change on Your Shard!

Acting like a Baby and crying for youre Mum/Developer cant be the right way.

Notice ... it is work to raise city funds ... doing traderuns ... or spent maritime cargos .... so the citizens can get a trade deal!

Developers are responsible for the game ... but for sure not for the community!!!! Please keep that in mind before posting.

Luc of Legends my friend if u want to be so bad a governor, just join another shard. There are plenty of cities without governor and u will win with 1 vote!

Excuse my bad english

Have fun while playing UO

Greets

SoulTrain

"Notice ... it is work to raise city funds .."

Uhh, since when ? Raising city funds is the easiest thing in game to do.

It used to be.  When they remove trade cargo it will be again.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Pawain said:

It used to be.  When they remove trade cargo it will be again.

Shhhhhhh...... Don't give them any ideas.  :p