mage tamer vs mystic tamer

I have decided to finally make a tamer on Baja.  (After 20 years, it's about time.)  I see two primary possibilities.  The first is a classic tamer with full, offensive magery in a 6x build +40 build:

120: taming, lore
120: magery, eval
100: vet, meditation
  40: ?

Upside: strong offense, gating included with the package
Downside: weak on defense and no resistance to curses for you or pet

Next is the mystic tamer w/gating:

120: mysticism, focus
100: vet
  80: magery
  60: meditation

Upside: good offense, curses are minimal problem for you or pets
Downside: weak on defense, less strong of offense, 80 magery skill devoted to gating

Alternatively gating can be sacrificed for a full, alternative powerset, either wrestling for defense or spellweaving for buffs for you and pet.  For that latter I'm thinking:

120: mysticism, focus
100: vet, spellweaving
  40: meditation

Upside: improved offense, strong buffs, minimal effects from curses
Downside: no ability to gate

Of course if you party regularly with guild or friends, then your own inability to gate might well be a non-issue.  Or, if you have two accounts, you can travel with a mage character who hides out of the way until battle is over, then he does the gating.

Am I overlooking anything?  If you were to create a new tamer today, what would his template be?
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Discord tamer. Only character you will ever need. 

Mage (100-120) Doesn't really matter. Heals and cures are based off magery skill only so Eval doesn't factor into this.
    120 tame
    120 lore
    120 music
    120 discord
    Vet (100-120) again it's players preference. 

Discord mastery doesn't need primers and give a nice damage boost. Discord skills cuts mob resists and skills down so it really helps in boss situations. If you want a sit back and chill character you can relax with this template is great. It also helps in the taming of new pets.

The downside to spellweaving is the inability to find players to create a circle with on lesser populated shards. 
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    Urge, thank you for the feedback and idea.  Now I wish it were possible to change the title of this thread to add "vs bard tamer" at end.  You didn't mention peacemaking.  Is that not a good alternative to discord?
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Timer is too long for me to get any decent use from peacemaking. Discord is on the same timer but it lasts until target is dead or you're out of sight 8 seconds I believe.

If I remember correctly, peace only lasts until target takes damage. I find it as useful as camping in actual gameplay.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Honestly, with some soul stones you can have it all.  Though, I wouldn't worry about Mystic/Focus... your most powerful offense is an RC which can't be cast if you have a pet.

Base Character:
    120 Taming
    120 Lore
    100 Magery (115 holding tome of lost knowledge)
    20 Hiding (I add this to most pvm templates that aren't human just because it can be nice to get a real hide off sometimes instead of an invisible.  Most of my tamers are either elfs or gargs)

Skills to mix and match
    120 Music
    120 Discord
    120 Vet
    120 Med
    120 Spellweaving

Other fun skills to mix in if you don't have them on another character:
    120 Fishing
    100 Cartography (You can do stash through cache maps with magic unlock)
    100 Lockpicking (nice for opening paragon chests and horde/trove maps if you don't have a master skeleton key)

• RockRock Posts: 567
    Merus said:
    Honestly, with some soul stones you can have it all.  Though, I wouldn't worry about Mystic/Focus... your most powerful offense is an RC which can't be cast if you have a pet.

Merus, thank you for the numerous ideas.  You show Vet as being optional, not "base".  Does this mean that the Magery heal and cure spells are adequate during battle?  If that's the case, how about Mysticism's Cleansing Winds (combo of heal/cure/remove-curse all in one spell)?  As a tamer, I wasn't even thinking about using RC (or that silly 3-slot blades pet they have).  Anyway, if Vet is optional, then the template becomes a lot more flexible.  Although if I did want to use RC in a petless situation, being a Gargoyle would still allow travel at pet speeds.

The problem I've seen with RC is how some bosses can seem to dispel them right away.  I think Spellweaving offers a summoned-pet buff that reduces likelihood of a pet being dispelled, though.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Rock said:
    Merus said:

Merus, thank you for the numerous ideas.  You show Vet as being optional, not "base".  Does this mean that the Magery heal and cure spells are adequate during battle?  If that's the case, how about Mysticism's Cleansing Winds (combo of heal/cure/remove-curse all in one spell)?  As a tamer, I wasn't even thinking about using RC (or that silly 3-slot blades pet they have).  Anyway, if Vet is optional, then the template becomes a lot more flexible.  Although if I did want to use RC in a petless situation, being a Gargoyle would still allow travel at pet speeds.

The problem I've seen with RC is how some bosses can seem to dispel them right away.  I think Spellweaving offers a summoned-pet buff that reduces likelihood of a pet being dispelled, though.
    Vet healing has some uses, but, IMO, has taken a hit in recent years because so many mobs have AoE.  I find these days that most of the time I am using Magery or the taming mastery consume damage to keep my pets health up.  Obviously for ressing a pet you'll need to be prepared.  The potion from Medusa blood can be helpful and the spellweaving spell gift of life can be used as a safeguard if you're going into an extra dangerous fight.  At any rate, having vet on a stone is faster than waiting out the NPC vet if your pet dies.  Mystic/Focus seems like 220 skill points that provide almost no benefit above and beyond what you already have if you are hunting with a pet.

Overall, I would say that for most encounters vet is optional.
  • how a tamer deal with changeling?  or mobs that can switch target?  will stone form helps?
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I have 4 tamer/mystics and 1 tamer/mage. One the mystics I find Stone Form very helpful and love being able to heal and cure and remove curse with a single spell - Cleansing Winds.  The tamer mage I use with Mage Mastery pet for pirates and blunderbuss and the Chain Lightning clears out the Orc crew on blunderbuss Beacons very quickly.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    hehhe i am crazy i have stealth ninja tamer and a chiv/fishing pirate tamer i think it boils down to what do you enjoy
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    McDougle said:
    hehhe i am crazy i have stealth ninja tamer and a chiv/fishing pirate tamer i think it boils down to what do you enjoy
    I love my stealth Ninja herding tamer...