Does Magery skill no longer increase when equipped with Magic Weapon property weapon?

Attack hit.
Not skill lock.
Not the limit of total skills.

magery real: 56.2
magery no real: 27.2
magic weapon property value: -29
target wrestling skill: 27

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Except for the rarest of rares the magic weapon property value is how much magery skill is removed.  UO does not want powerful swordsman mages.
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    I still get gains even if its only my magery ggs I get.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I have only seen players use those for mage skill gains by casting.

I'd like to know if I can gain magery from melee fighting.o
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    I've equipped magery weapons only so I can gain more magery from spellcasting at higher skill levels. I've never used them in any sort of combat situation as I find them useless in such. 

If you want to gain wrestling, equip a plain buckler (most ppl use gm made bucklers) and no weapon, then go smack some mongbats around.
    Kirthag said:

If you want to gain wrestling, equip a plain buckler (most ppl use gm made bucklers) and no weapon, then go smack some mongbats around.
    It sounds like the OP is trying to gain Magery.  He is telling you he matched the targets wrestling skill to his weapon skill, magery.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    the only reason your magery wouldn't increase using a mage-weapon (assuming the information you provided is accurate) is because the mage-weapon you're using requires a weapon skill that is higher than your Magery.

Example:

Say you have a -29 mage weapon  Katana (swordsmanship weapon)
    your skills include
    80.0 swordsmanship
    90.0 magery (61.0 with the mage-weapon in hand)

Since Magery is reduced down to 61 and the weapon requires a skill that is higher than magery, the required weapon skill (swords) will be checked for gains whenever a hit lands using that weapon.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • KEYKEY Posts: 16
    Thank you for comment :)

typo.
    X:Magic Weapon
    O:Mage Weapon

I was worried about Chrille's comment.
    The weapon I am using was imbued by NPC dagger on last Wednesday.
    (Fencing skill: 28.9 (both real and no real))
    I did the same with what I probably imbued over a year ago.
    (Mage Weapon property: -29)
    Magery skill increased !!!
    This may be a bug...

• KEYKEY Posts: 16
    Sorry.
    I just played.
    -29 The dagger raised Magery.
    I don't know why.

edited January 2020
    I thought Mage weapons lower Magery.  And use Magery as the weapon skill. 

I need a tour guide for this thread.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Yes they lower magery, but they will raise whichever skill is higher, so if you have a weapon skill as well as the magery, you may not get the result you want - especially if the weapon is for that skill.
    edited January 2020
    OK. I understand @CovenantX post.  

I hate skilling and would have had magery to 80 by casting spells in the time it took to talk about weapons and smacking stuff.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited January 2020
    Magery can be 120'd pretty quick with a fast Mage Wep on the right target. I have a 100% Poison Dagger that i crafted/reforged, then i PoFed to 255 Dur, then Whetstoned off the DI, and imbued with -29 Mage Wep/50% HLD/12% HCI/30% SSI/UBWS. Perfect training wep.
    Wear it in combination with a +DEX/Stam/HCI suit, and can consistently land hits every 1.25 secs. That's a Magery skill check every 1.25 secs with no Mana cost, MUCH faster than actually casting spells for gains.