Dear Developers, this is NOT fun (Krampus content....)

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited January 2020 in General Discussions
I have done some 40+ Krampus hunts.

So far, I have gotten about 25 Reward Titles. Then loads of gloves, broken watches and other stuff that I do not need in that quantity.

I need the Whips' Recipes which I am not getting.

This is not fun, and I feel like I am wasting my time. I am worn out by too much trying with no results. It is not the way to get enjoyment, to my opinion..... I did the work, extensively too, and did not get what I wanted.

How can that be considered entertainment if I may ask ?

Considering that a game is meant for entertaining, I do understand the RNG but PLEASE, could you please at least consider giving to players a way to turn in to some NPC X items they do not need (for example the Reward Titles, or the broken watches, or the gloves....) so as to get 1 Whip Recipe or a Krampus Star ?

At least, this way, the work a player has done towards getting items would have not been totally wasted with useless items which they have no use for !

By being able to turn in an X number of the unwanted items, they could at least have an alternate way to actually get the items which they do want, from that given content.

Thank you SO much.

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 790
    popps said:

By enjoying the fight and considering the "reward" as a bonus. Millions of people go running every day (I'm NOT one of them) because they enjoy it, very few of them get any "reward" for it.

If the only reason you are doing something in the game is for the reward stop doing it and find something you do enjoy.

The whip recipe is rare for a reason. If every one got one everyone would have a crafter to make their own. No market for them and no one would care if you could or couldn't make one.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited January 2020
    Tim said:
    popps said:

By enjoying the fight and considering the "reward" as a bonus. Millions of people go running every day (I'm NOT one of them) because they enjoy it, very few of them get any "reward" for it.

If the only reason you are doing something in the game is for the reward stop doing it and find something you do enjoy.

The whip recipe is rare for a reason. If every one got one everyone would have a crafter to make their own. No market for them and no one would care if you could or couldn't make one.
    Something might be enjoyable when doing it a few times, but too many times ?

It becomes what is often referred to as a "grind" in order to get a given Reward that is wanted.

And, at least to my understanding, "hardly" players consider grinds as "fun".....

That is why I said that offering the ability to turn in X unwanted items to get 1 wanted item (like it has been already done in UO for other content), could be at least a way to offer the unlucky player getting tons of unwanted items from a given content, the ability to get from the work done and time invested, whatever wanted items they may want.

WHile the Krampus Stars are deco, he Whips' Recipes are INDISPENSABLE for Crafters to carry on with their Profession.

They should not be impossible to get.

I can understand difficult, but near to impossible if a player is unlucky with the RNG ?

I put into Krampus work and time. I did as much as my free time permitted me to do and YET, I still have been unable, regardless of the 45+ Krampus that I did (which took TONS of time to get done on a Low Population Shard....), to get the 3 Whips Recipes that I need.

By giving to players the alternative to turn in X unwanted items from that particular content to get in return 1 wanted item from that particular content, at least players could have a way to still be able to get the items they need even if the RNG is being particularly nasty at the.

At least, that is the way I see it.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    @popps ; you do know the whips are pretty much a deco item.  There are better WW weapons for all the classes.  They are the only 1 handed WW weapon for Macers and fencers but both have a 2 hand WW weapon.

Lets not act like these are gonna be a gold mine for crafters.  Again everyone on LS who wants them has them now.  This event needs to end so we can move on.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Tim said:

I guess millions is a slight exaggeration? I don't think there's a million people playing UO anymore even on Atlantic Shard ;) .

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

Another thing that needs to be considered, is that, contrary to other content in UO which is persistent, Krampus will only spawn for a limited time then it will be gone.

Therefore, for necessary items like the crafting Whips' Recipes, it would make sense, at least to my opinion, to offer the ability to RNG unlucky players to turn in the items which they got by loads but which they neither need nor want, and get instead the Crafting Recipes which they need for their crafting profession to carry on in UO.

Gone Krampus, will be gone the ability for players to get them and they will only be able to buy them, if they can afford their purchase, that is....

For persistent content it might not be as important to offer players a "turn in" ability because players could still "keep trying" at getting whatever item they need/want. Until the RNG blesses them.

But with limited time content like Krampus is ?

It is not possible, if the RNG has been nasty to them, to "keep trying" over and over because, eventually, that limited time content will be gone and so those items.

So, is my opinion, this "turn in" ability, at least for limited time content such as Krampus, should ALWAYS be an available alternative to players.

Let's remember that Ultima Online is a game, meant to enjoy and entertain its users, not get them burnt out from way too much grinding, all for nothing, because the RNG keeps not giving to them they drop they need/want....
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    This is the second year of Krampus and I'm sure it will be back again next year. (Like all the Halloween content does.) If you don't want to buy them and don't get them this year - just wait til next year like so many people did for last years recipes.
    edited January 2020
    Marge said:
    This is the second year of Krampus and I'm sure it will be back again next year. (Like all the Halloween content does.) If you don't want to buy them and don't get them this year - just wait til next year like so many people did for last years recipes.
    Last Year the Whips were a drop, they were not recipes....

Regardless, though, I do not see why, for limited time content, it could not be made possible for players to "exchange" their unwanted items obtained within that limited time content, with the actual items which they want from that given content....

After all, the players spent their time and effort in getting those unwanted items anyways, so, why not permit them to actually exchange them, with whatever ratio the Developers would see as fit, with the actual items which they might be interested in ?

What is wrong with making the content more enjoyable for more players if I may ask ?

Consider also, that I wanted very much to participate and enjoy also the Artisan Festival and, yet, I had to sacrifice with sorrow my participating in it given that all my time in UO has been spent trying to get these damn Whips Recipes....

If I had been able to have an alternate way to get them, by turning in the unwanted items which the RNG was throwing at me instead of the Whips' Recipes, I would have been done with Krampus and had time to also enjoy the Artisan Festival....

Instead, I ended up not getting the Whips Recipes, upset, and withoutm enjoying also the Artisan Festival content which I would have liked to....

To me, it does not look like a way to help out players to enjoy Ultima Online to force them to have to grind and keep grinding some more because no alternate way to get the content that they are interested in is available....
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Just buy em, they are pretty cheap now.  I gotta ask...what shard are you playing now?
    jelinidas said:
    Just buy em, they are pretty cheap now.  I gotta ask...what shard are you playing now?
    Not enough gold to buy them..... shard is Catskills
    what one(s) are you missing?
    jelinidas said:
    what one(s) are you missing?
    Spiked, and it is becoming a nightmare to get it... I have enough of titles, broken watches, gloves and similar....
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited January 2020
    Tim said:

I guess millions is a slight exaggeration? I don't think there's a million people playing UO anymore even on Atlantic Shard ;) .

I was referring to the “real” world. Strange people joggers 
    Tell ya what Popps...
    PM me your Crafters name and I will give you the spiked. Just give it a rest for the year.
    jelinidas said:
    Tell ya what Popps...
    PM me your Crafters name and I will give you the spiked. Just give it a rest for the year.
    Just did another Krampus... and guess what I got ?

Yet another Reward title....

No matter how much I try, it just does not show up.... this is really ridicolous....
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    popps said:
    Last Year the Whips were a drop, they were not recipes....

Consider also, that I wanted very much to participate and enjoy also the Artisan Festival and, yet, I had to sacrifice with sorrow my participating in it given that all my time in UO has been spent trying to get these damn Whips Recipes....

If I had been able to have an alternate way to get them, by turning in the unwanted items which the RNG was throwing at me instead of the Whips' Recipes, I would have been done with Krampus and had time to also enjoy the Artisan Festival....

Instead, I ended up not getting the Whips Recipes, upset, and withoutm enjoying also the Artisan Festival content which I would have liked to....

I did not say the whips were - I said last year's recipes. Those were the hat and boots for humans and earrings and talons for gargoyles. Many people had not gotten them last year but were able to get them this year.

This was the FOURTH YEAR for the artisan fest. Everyone knew it was coming and what it entailed. You had a YEAR to prep the bods for your toons to drop. That is not krampus' fault.
    I am offering, just do it and you can be done...
    edited January 2020
    jelinidas said:
    He would rather complain than play UO in a Multiplayer fashion.
    Pawain said:

He would rather complain than play UO in a Multiplayer fashion.

Finally something we can agree on.
    jelinidas said:
    Thank you very much but I'd rather earn it myself yet, apparently, the Designed mechanics do not help me out in being able to achieve that....

I keep saying that any and all Limited time content should offer to players alternate ways to get the items they need or are interested in getting, such as through a turn in mechanics where players can get rid of the items they do not want and get the items which they actually want from that limited time content....

For example, I now have some 26 totallu useless Title deeds.... why couldn't I give some of them to a NPC and get in return a Whip Recipe which instead I have been trying so hard to get, fruitlessly ?

This way, I would see that I have earned it myself....
    Sounds like you should make some returner and NOOB bags that contain Titles that you deem useless.  I only have 20 of the 3 Titles from the 2 Krampus events.

Ill Trade spiked whip recipe for the 3 stars I dont have.  Light Blue, Yellow, and abysmal. 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    if you could exchange reward for recipe you would have made a thread to say opposite....seriously give it a break
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    I have zero whips and the event will end soon and I'm totally cool with it.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    Fortis said:
    if you could exchange reward for recipe you would have made a thread to say opposite....seriously give it a break
    Not at all.

I find that the ability to have an alternate way to get rid of unwanted items which the RNG throws at us too often and get wanted items which instead the RNG is too conservative to give to us, is a GREAT way (and there are precedents in Ultima Online for this, starting from the Clean Up program to the Minax Arties etc. etc.) to have players see their time spent entertaining a given content, especially a time limited content like Krampus is, to get more players satisfied and enjoy that given content getting what they want from it with the time that they spent in it.

Take Krampus as an example, I am just making up numbers for the sake of the discussion.

Let's imgine that, in their Wisdom, the Developers decided to have Title Deeds have a 20% drop chance while Whips' Recipes only have a 5% drop chance.

Having the mechanics that I suggest, a player who got 4 Title Deeds which they have no use for, could then "exchange" them for 1 Whip Recipe .

So, while to that player it took 4 Krampus to get that Whip Recipe because unlucky with the RNG as compared to some other player who instead got it with only 1 Krampus, nonetheless, the unlucky players would STILL have an alternative to rectify that bad luck and use the Title Deeds which are of no use to him/her to get the Whip Recipe that instead they wanted....

Or it could be points.... each and every item within the Rewards of a time Limited content are assigned some points and then the players can exchange them at their free will discarding what they do not want for points and then use those points to get the items which they want....

Personally, I think that offering such an alternate way to get the wanted items and get rid of the unwanted items would be way more functional and ensure players' enjoyment of that content.

And happy players and customers mean a more healthy game, at least to my opinion....

For time limited content, I think that such an alternative option should be always present.

That is at least the way I see it.
    I tried...smh
  • yengahyengah Posts: 34
    @Tim @popps I think what I do is I love the virtual item so much that this makes the "grind" so fun to do. haha.