Put your houses on private or be banned.

2»

Comments

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    edited November 2019
    well I do dump it into a commodity deed box, but its set to co-owner.

And I wasn't aware that you weren't allowed to drop in a box.
    I usually do that with loot, take it to luna house and use teleporter (open to public) to go to another place where it goes into a chest to sort later.

I wasn't aware a miner couldn't drop off ore into a box at their own home, if it is on the steps. Is the row behind the steps ok? Cause sometimes you just want to throw it in the box or bag and smelt later. Like when you have used the last shovel or pickaxe. (I ask because sometimes miners wait for their fire beetle to be bonded before taking it along for mining)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    yes, that's understood - but you don't drop it in a box on the steps every few minutes 23/7 do you? Please trust that some common sense is going to be used.  I do.
  • lol
  • @Mariah could you find out if this "note" on the account is visable to the account holder? 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• so basically the poor 80 year old guy who has had an account with UO for 22 years of his life and spent 1500 dollars a year in subscriptions and farms some ingots overnight so he can craft his weapons and armor cause it broke is gonna get slapped with a ban while the guy using illegal scanners that log into the subserver and record every house on the server instantly and then hauls off 5 thousand dollars worth of idoc loot to sell on his website with his 10 ej accounts is gonna be fine and dandy with no repercussions, or the guy or guys on atl that dupes all the tokens and then sells them , is someone getting kickbacks or something?

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Mariah said:
    yes, that's understood - but you don't drop it in a box on the steps every few minutes 23/7 do you? Please trust that some common sense is going to be used.  I do.
    No offense, but that is something that quite often seems in short supply.  After 22 years the concern being expressed by players is both warranted and justified.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Dasilva said:
    so basically the poor 80 year old guy who has had an account with UO for 22 years of his life and spent 1500 dollars a year in subscriptions and farms some ingots overnight so he can craft his weapons and armor cause it broke is gonna get slapped with a ban while the guy using illegal scanners that log into the subserver and record every house on the server instantly and then hauls off 5 thousand dollars worth of idoc loot to sell on his website with his 10 ej accounts is gonna be fine and dandy with no repercussions, or the guy or guys on atl that dupes all the tokens and then sells them , is someone getting kickbacks or something?

No, The 80 year old will respond to the GM within seconds and nothing noted. Obviously you play on LS. Home of the Octogenarians! 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited November 2019
    Fair warning to everyone: I was a 'victim' of this new policy on November 11th. Make your houses private and remove all friends, co-owners and don't allow anyone access to anything. ALSO do not go to/visit other players houses where you are friended, co-owned or accessed where people may be macro-ing.

My 2 accounts were given legitimate email violation warnings for something that was happening at a house that I did not even own. Of course I tried to contest this and I was told by Mesanna herself, '... according to the notes this was your house so you approved of many accounts using your house to script.' I am sad to report this new policy is as bad as it looks. The fact my accounts were actioned and the producer of the game cannot tell that it was not even my house and won't allow me to contest the violations is a big YIKES.

I wish I could make this stuff up.

edit, adding this gem that was at the end of that email:

"Bottom line you are responsible for letting people script/cheat in your house.
    Mesanna"

Again, it wasn't even my house lol and she won't give me a chance to contest the violations.

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    They should allow vendors in private houses.
    Let people access vendors through the house sign.

Looks like I will be shutting down my vendors and free access to the repair station.

They should allow vendors in private houses.

I TOTALLY agree !!

I have been saying that for years, I do not understand why on earth a Private House cannot have Vendors...

Aside from being accessable from the House sign, Vendors in a Private House could very well be placed on the House Doorsteps (ok, a limited number of them but still....) and be accessable likewise....
  • WrenWren Posts: 2
    I just happened to see this. I rarely get on too much, I am not sure how I feel about ‘checking UO news’ and finding this info. I have heard this phrase before, not sure where :’these are the same (type) of thugs and hoodlums that have always plagued the good people’. I think it fits for the macro users in public houses. It spoils the game for the non macro users. I know that there is no good way to prove one way or the other. I hope that at one point this is lifted, but there will always be a scar on Sosaria because of this.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I am thinking this may be part of their plan on combating the IDOC scripters.  Ban the owners of the houses where they drop the vacuumed loot at.
  • They didn't say they were going after ppl dropping off vacuumed loot they specifically mentioned the old dude farming ore overnight
  • EJ scripters cant drop in a box.  Macro'ing/scripting in a house is only gonna be a feel good thing for them to ban, all most people can really do in a house is script macro skills...which is actually fairly harmless I think, doesn't affect anyone's gameplay.

The real baddies, the ones we want gone, aare the Event dudes, the legendary farmers, the idoc scripters, and they aren't doing those things in a house LOL.

So the moneymakers get a pass (again) and the average Joe who stuck a matchstick in the keyboard to finish off spirit speak or heal or some SW spell while he went to the kitchen to get breaklfast will get banned.

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Dasilva said:
    They didn't say they were going after ppl dropping off vacuumed loot they specifically mentioned the old dude farming ore overnight

That may be the primary reason but going after people dropping off vacuumed loot just got a lot easier as well.

It also means they can make resources static again if they so want to.

Killing four birds: resource scripters, skill raisers, idoc vacuumers, and static resouces; with one stone.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Dasilva said:
    is someone getting kickbacks or something?

Doctors have to abide by a code of ethics but make money from big pharm kickbacks prescribing certain drugs.

The world revolves around money. It wouldn't surprise me if they did get kickbacks nor would I shame anyone for bettering themselves.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    EJ scripters cant drop in a box.  Macro'ing/scripting in a house is only gonna be a feel good thing for them to ban, all most people can really do in a house is script macro skills...which is actually fairly harmless I think, doesn't affect anyone's gameplay.

Agreed. More accounts with cap skills means more players will actually be playing the game. For free accounts this means their free space will fill up more quickly leading to a sub for housing. For sub accounts this could mean another account open for additional space.

Maybe it's time the store stocked a total cap mythic type token. It would generate money and end all excuses for skill macroing.

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    This really reminds me of the scene in My Cousin Vinny where the Judge says...

Let the record show that counsel is holding up two fingers.

Although I appreciate them letting us know they are "working" on something, clearly they are pushing them to being even more secretive and harder to catch.

What worries me more is some of the "GMs" that come to help, don't even understand how our game is played and I can't see myself trusting them to even type a string of numbers and transposing them and unintentionally marking someone else's account. Clearly one person above has said they are affected adversely.

• why dont you ban that Avatar guy I dont think he even plays the game all he does is log in EJ accounts on every server 50x a day stand in new haven with a young tag above his head and spam his website selling UO products....THAT is something that matters in the game and should actually be dealt with
  • Thanks for not removing houses altogether though ;)
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    edited November 2019
    In all fair
    EJ scripters cant drop in a box.  Macro'ing/scripting in a house is only gonna be a feel good thing for them to ban, all most people can really do in a house is script macro skills...which is actually fairly harmless I think, doesn't affect anyone's gameplay.

The real baddies, the ones we want gone, aare the Event dudes, the legendary farmers, the idoc scripters, and they aren't doing those things in a house LOL.

So the moneymakers get a pass (again) and the average Joe who stuck a matchstick in the keyboard to finish off spirit speak or heal or some SW spell while he went to the kitchen to get breaklfast will get banned.

In all fairness, @Mesanna did say, to my understanding (https://uo.com/2019/11/22/macroers-and-houses/) : 

Specifically, if we come across a situation where a group of macroers are holed up in a house doing whatever it is they are doing (skill gains, crafting etc) or a recall group dropping off resources in chests at a specific house (or houses),  We are going  to confirm the house owner from the house sign and then note that house-owner account about what the GM observed  in the product account notes section of that house-owner account.

The relevant part to be noted, to my opinion, is where it is said : "...or a recall group dropping off resources in chests at a specific house (or houses)..."

The way I understand here, and if so, it is something which I totally agree with, what Broadsword is going to actively look for, is whether there is a number of "disposable" scripting accounts (EJ accounts or even veteran accounts but which have little to nothing to loose, if banned for scripting) which do the "dirt work", the scripted work to gather Resources, Legendaries or other Loot, and THEN benefit all these "against the TOS gotten items", to OTHER Ultima Online's Accounts which do not actively get involved in the scripting BUT, nonetheless, get the benefits from that....

And to me, it makes a whole lot of sense to ban ALSO these other accounts.....

Because, at least to my understanding, this is most often what scripters do.... they use accounts for scripting which they do not care about should they be found and banned, and then STORE all of the items obtained from Scripting, in "other" Accounts which do not engage in bannable activities in the game.

Of course that also these "other" Accounts which benefit from the "disposable" Accounts which do Script should be Banned.... or the sanction would have n "teeth".... so to speak....

Scripters already take into account that their scripting account can be banned if caught so, often, they use accounts which they can afford losing.... but their "Mains" which get to receive all of the items that were scripted, so to speak ?

That is an entire other story.... and if Broadsword is going to "track down" the Scripting accounts activities all the way to the Main Accounts which benefit from that against the TOS Scripting Activity and ban them too, well, THIS is surely going to make a change and finally work as a real deterrant against Scripting, finally.....

So, personally, as a player who has been against Scripting and all kinds of Cheating in UO from day one, and who saw many fellow players quit playing UO BECAUSE of the rampant scripting and cheating in it, I am totally on the side of @Mesanna, @Bleak, @Kyronix and the entire Broadsword Developing Team to go BEYOND the disposable Scripting Accounts and go to the Root of all this, all the way UP to the Main Accounts (that do not script, usually) which nonetheless benefit from the Activity of Scripting Account.

This is at least the way I see it.
    edited November 2019

EJ scripters cant drop in a box. 
    QUESTION.

For someone who has not even that much of an advanced knowledge about scripting, "how" tough is it to SCRIPT some actions like Recall with the EJ account to a safe place or right by a House's doorsteps ground and drop a bag with the scripted items/resources on the Ground and THEN script another account, subscribed, to pick it up and drop it into a container on a House doorsteps ?

It might involve a bit more of a complex Script but, after a knowledge player writes that Script and passes it over to other Scripters, voila', the "work around" is available to STILL use EJ Accounts to Script gather items AND then have another Account drop them into a container at a safe, Main Account House....

TimSt said:

Dasilva said:
    They didn't say they were going after ppl dropping off vacuumed loot they specifically mentioned the old dude farming ore overnight

That may be the primary reason but going after people dropping off vacuumed loot just got a lot easier as well.

It also means they can make resources static again if they so want to.

Killing four birds: resource scripters, skill raisers, idoc vacuumers, and static resouces; with one stone.

Makes sense.....

Because the Root to all problems or surely MOST of the problems in Ultima Online DOES IS the ability to Script a whole number of Activities.....

Kill Scripting would mean magically solving all at once all of these issues which have troubles UO for decades, not mere Years....

At least, that is how I see it.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Time to end this I think.
This discussion has been closed.