Classic Client Targeting System

MerusMerus Posts: 656
I am experiencing two new issues with the classic client targeting macro.

First issue is that even when surrounded by hostile mobs doing damage to me I get the message "there are no hostiles on screen to target".  I would say that my macro works @ 80% of the time, but 20% I receive the no hostiles message.

Second issue is that Rising Colossus, Energy Vortex, and other non-hostile mobiles seem to be pulling up as a hostile when they are clearly not hostile to me.

Classic Client macro is very simple: 
Action:
Box 1: Select nearest  Box 2: Hostile

Clearly this hart is not hostile to me (it is full life and walking away).

Multiple hostiles on the screen and taking damage (indicated by the yellow damage numbers coming off my character and the lightning bolt hitting me) yet I get the message no hostiles to select (3rd message line from the bottom).

@Kyronix @Bleak 

Targeting systems are pretty core to any games functionality and this issue should be addressed.

Thanks.

Comments

• No hostiles on screen is a problem for a bit now.
    Andsometimes, instead of hitting the nearest one, it target one almost offscreen...go figure

Targetting the deer doesnt bother me, it is a grey, so its fair game

Summons shouldn't be targetted unless the summoner is grey to us.  Would be a nice fix to have that done.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    If it would just target any type of hostile or grey that is close enough for you to hit when you are in a crowd, I would be fine.  Right now it does not do that reliably.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I can’t believe that a system as core as targeting isn’t getting some priority to be addressed.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Energy Vortex hates animals.  It goes after birds, cats, dogs, rabbits, horses, cows, hogs, etc.
    TimSt said:
    Energy Vortex hates animals.  It goes after birds, cats, dogs, rabbits, horses, cows, hogs, etc.
    I'm not sure how that is relevant?
    @Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

Any acknowledge on this?
    edited December 2019
    Giving this a bump for @Bleak since we discussed at the Sonoma M&G.

I suggested it might be related to a z axis issue for either uneven terrain or mobs standing on top of other mob corpses that could be to blame... but just a guess.
  • FenFen Posts: 30
    Sorry I didn't see this post before I added mine..same issue. 

I think TimSt's issue relates to the EV's and RC's running off after animals instead of just hostiles (i.e. monsters). I find that particularly annoying when treasure hunting.  It would be nice if all these "hostile" issues could be fixed!!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    Merus said:

Second issue is that Rising Colossus, Energy Vortex, and other non-hostile mobiles seem to be pulling up as a hostile when they are clearly not hostile to me.

Action:

@ Kyronix @ Bleak  

Targeting systems are pretty core to any games functionality and this issue should be addressed.

Thanks.

"yes i too am having issue with this second issue on a daily basis, it should not be necessary to create another thread about it"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Just so you know, EV kills every thing in sight in EC too.  It kills hostiles first then whatever is left including wandering healers.  If innocents are about my treasure hunter uses a fire elemental.  It only kills hostiles.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    My other solution to the EV killing innocents is to have the dispel spell right next to it on the hot bar so I can dispel it quickly after it kills the hostiles if innocents are around.
    "With regards to the message 
    There are no hostiles on screen to select

if the spawn has just appeared, i believe it or yourself has to move 1 tile before it’s registered by this macro”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Merus said:

Action:

Multiple hostiles on the screen and taking damage (indicated by the yellow damage numbers coming off my character and the lightning bolt hitting me) yet I get the message no hostiles to select (3rd message line from the bottom).

@ Kyronix @ Bleak  

Thanks.
    “This is why that client is banned in most fel guilds now :(
    Yoshi said:
    "With regards to the message 
    There are no hostiles on screen to select

if the spawn has just appeared, i believe it or yourself has to move 1 tile before it’s registered by this macro”
    Regarding no hostile: It’s definitely not new spawn.  IMO it’s either a LoS issue regarding slight variations in the z axis (mobs standing on other mob corpses) or a buffer size issue if there are too many other dynamic objects on screen (specifically corpses).

It’s super easy to recreate the issue… I’ve video recorded it and emailed it to Bonnie, but still not fixed.
    edited May 2023
    “Yes I’m sure I have experienced it however attack nearest hostile doesn’t count as an action so can simply keep spamming the button without loss or delay on other actions”
    Yoshi said:
    “Yes I’m sure I have experienced it however attack nearest hostile doesn’t count as an action so can simply keep spamming the button without loss or delay on other actions”
    That’s true, but I die to this plenty because I’m surrounded and it only takes a few seconds of not swinging to be dead.