Vendors : What gives with "Public" Houses ? Shouldn't also Houses set as Private get Vendors ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited August 2019 in General Discussions
I do not see why, Houses set as Private, should not be able to place Vendors.

Aside from the fact that "Private" Houses could have Vendors be placed on their doorsteps, EVEN IF the Vendors were placed "inside" of a House, since Vendors can be accessed through the House sign, a House set as Private that customers could not get into, could STILL permit its Vendors to be accessed, either when placed on its doorsteps, or through the House sign.....

So, I do not see why Houses set as Private should not be able to still have Vendors....

Comments

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Set it to public and set the doors and tele pads to whatever security you want.  Problem solved, yer welcome :)
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Tyrath said:
     Set it to public and set the doors and tele pads to whatever security you want.  Problem solved, yer welcome :)
    Still, "why" Houses set as Private cannot be enabled to host Vendors ?

I do not get it.
      Just speculation but my guess would be the the coding and the way it interacts with public and private housing.   AND Housing for the most part is not Broken lets not encourage them to fix it.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    So my question to the OP is considering how long vendors have been in the game and that this has always been a requirement why all of a sudden is this now a problem?  Has anybody else heard one player besides the OP complain about this.  Anybody that runs a vendor knows for a fact that the house has to be public.  I guess if you really need the bottom line answer is because UO says so and after all it is their game.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Because vendors weren't just designed for home owners but also for people without houses who wanted to place a vendor in someone elses house, which you can't do if it's private. Then you would have to friend or give access to each person that wanted to place a vendor, and each person that wanted to use it, and well, that's just stupid now isn't it ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited August 2019
    Because vendors weren't just designed for home owners but also for people without houses who wanted to place a vendor in someone elses house, which you can't do if it's private. Then you would have to friend or give access to each person that wanted to place a vendor, and each person that wanted to use it, and well, that's just stupid now isn't it ?
    But my point is, why have Vendors ONLY for Public Houses ?

@Tyrath , I am not saying to "fix" Vendors.... I am saying to leave the "Public Houses" Vendors with the code they have (but of course the Commision charges being reworked currently....) BUT, "in addition" to them, release a "new set" of Vendors which would be able to be placed on Privately owned Houses....

This way, there would be no worries that a "fix" could introduce bugs for "Public Houses" Vendors and, yet, with the occasions of the Vendors revamp that is currently ongoing, ALSO "Private Houses" Vendors could finally see the light.... with a separate set of code of its own....

That is, players would need, when purchasing a Vendor deed, to EITHER purchase a Public Home vendor deed OR a Private Home Vendor deed depending on their need....

Why does it have to be "exclusive" ? Why cannot we get BOTH Vendors for Public Homes AND Vendors for Private Homes and make happy more players ?

@Bleak ? @Kyronix ?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Public lets customers get out of harms way when there are mobs in the area.
    TimSt said:
    Then, why was accessing Vendors from the House sign implemented if I may ask ?

As I said, it is was to be "Private" Houses Vendors in addition to "Public" Houses Vendors then, players, depending on what Area their Home was to be placed, and of their preferences, could decide whether to buy a Vendor Deed meant for a Public Home or one meant for a Private Home....

Why only have one type of Vendors if it was possible to have Vendors for BOTH types of Homes in Ultima Online, the Private Homes as well as the Public Homes ?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    popps said:

Why does it have to be "exclusive" ? Why cannot we get BOTH Vendors for Public Homes AND Vendors for Private Homes and make happy more players ?
    What more players are you referring too, you appear to be the only one requiring this type of vendor.
  • popps said:
    TimSt said:
    Then, why was accessing Vendors from the House sign implemented if I may ask ?

Hard to access vendors, hidden vendors, bad computers and ease of shopping before VS.

Why is this an issue, in game there is no problem to the system and a RP translation makes sense.  What specifically is the problem other than "I want this because.."
  • North_LSNorth_LS Posts: 99
    Tyrath said:
    my houses both have yards/courtyards with archways to an open smithy/workshop area :(
    North_LS said:
    Tyrath said:
    my houses both have yards/courtyards with archways to an open smithy/workshop area :(
    One of my public Siege Houses.......... I still am not seeing the problem..... other than guest have over used the outhouse.

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    popps said:
    I do not see why, Houses set as Private, should not be able to place Vendors.

Aside from the fact that "Private" Houses could have Vendors be placed on their doorsteps, EVEN IF the Vendors were placed "inside" of a House, since Vendors can be accessed through the House sign, a House set as Private that customers could not get into, could STILL permit its Vendors to be accessed, either when placed on its doorsteps, or through the House sign.....

So, I do not see why Houses set as Private should not be able to still have Vendors....
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that perhaps you are trying to set up vendors on Siege or Mugen anywhere outside of New Magincia and you're concerned about your character being clobbered in the house.  Or you want to have vendors on a shard where your house is in Felucca and you don't want to try to relocate to Trammel and you're concerned about your character being clobbered in the house if you make it public to put up vendors.   Or you're trying to figure out how to program private houses to have vendors in a cloned version of UO.  

For the first two situations, you might get some good advice on how to set up a public house with vendors in a Fel ruleset if you just ask for that kind of advice.  I'm sure there are people who would be happy to give you some tips here or on Stratics.  At the very least, you could always resort to placing a pair of teleporter tiles to connect your public Fel ruleset house to another house you or a friend own on the same shard and make sure the vendors are accessible from the front of the house but the front door is locked, etc. 

If you're asking for the third situation, you're probably out of luck getting the information you seek by asking for it here.
  • Tyrath said:
    North_LS said:
    Tyrath said:
    One of my public Siege Houses.......... I still am not seeing the problem..... other than guest have over used the outhouse.

*whistles and walks away*

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Tyrath said:
    North_LS said:
    Tyrath said:

*whistles and walks away*

You know looking at that pic..... I should move the outhouse 1 tile north and lose the steps border to really bring the green sludge out and put a couple of clean up beehives inside to look like flies buzzing around it.   But hey it is not my traditional BORG cube anyway :)