Perhaps the road to help repopulate Felucca might come from "killing" Ghost Cams and the likes ?

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    edited April 2019
    Lynk said:
    Well you can kill the no defensive skill player and turn him into a ghost.  Meaning you can take control rather than paging and crying on the forums and over nerfing stuff.
    They are usually hidden and stealthing while running their "Camera" script....

So, a player would need to FIRST Detect them (which takes TIME to do) and only "after" they could kill them and likely get also a Murder count if that "free" EJ "Away from Keyboard" character being used to run the "Camera script" is a blue and not a red character....

And this, to protect AFK "Camera scripts" gameplay to be run which is, to my knowledge, AGAINST Ultima Online's TOS ?

And this would be asking for "nerfing stuff"  ?

Go figure.....
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    You can only kill him if you can find him to reveal him.  How many chars do you have that run DH or are you just going to throw field spells all over the place till you find him.
    They just don't want their free EJ Accounts nerfed.  EJ Accounts should not be allowed in Fel or on Gen Chat.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    People asked for EJ so the casual pvper didn't have to pay. 

If it's being abused it needs fixed in a way that won't affect actual play. 
  • LynkLynk Posts: 186
    Lol some of you are just rediculous
    Alls the people using this cheat is attack the people that want this cheat removed, we must be asking the devs to do away with something they are using.
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    History lesson 
    Fel was emptied by the pk's reds and thiefs.  The minute the gates to Tram opened I watched each shards Feluccian  side dissolve to a barren land.   It was not players leaving the game … they found tram the best way to keep what they had at low risk.  Had nothing to do with the Dev.  
    As for getting people back to the danger zone.... The Elders of this game are a thin breed most have retired to the happy hunting grounds or are too busy keeping their retirement savings intact.
    The new kids on the block wouldn't be caught dead playing this game (sorry the few who do) its a fact the game is old and in their mind as dead as the pyramids.  So... the game has its addicts.
    A lot of us who caught the bug play and I will say I have homes still from day one in Fel.
    Getting more to fel is a good thought but I dare say its not gunna happen  at least in, my uo life time.
    Well said @Lady_Storm
  • FenriswolfFenriswolf Posts: 19
    edited May 2019
    the only thing that is keeping felucca alive is the fact you can only get PS from there. I don't see any other point to it. Other incentives to go there eg, luck, double resources etc are nothing in comparison to this.obviously im being over-simplistic on this but in the greater scheme of things it boils down to this

I have no interest in going there ever unless forced to (e.g for handing in Cargo at Buccaneers Den), because I have no interest in randomly being entered into a Pvp encounter when im not equipped for it, expecting it, prepared for it, or want it.

Surely this must be a big warning light to the DEVs, or they already know this which is why they consistently put PS related stuff in Felucca, including the new Treasure hunting updates with 105/110 scrolls appearing in Felucca treasure map chests.

Other incentives to go there don't work as they cant overcome the PS imbalance.

Simple solution is to just let the place die and we all move on. Not good for nostalgia but im pretty sure it would make things a whole lot easier. 

- Kill the felucca facet

- introduce the monster/blocking/other felucca related tweaks ruleset to trammel champion spawns or specific areas (so people can still optionally enter into them)

- introduce PVP only areas into trammel including pvp area only champion spawns which are the only source of  PS (120s) and have the enhanced luck/resource collection etc

- introduce PS (105,110,115) into the trammel champion spawns

Everyone is happy, all bases covered

Im useless at Pvp, but even in this it may actually make me enter into Pvp within the game because I can enter into it of my own free will....not have it forced upon me

• SlissSliss Posts: 282

- Kill the felucca facet

- introduce PVP only areas into trammel including pvp area only champion spawns which are the only source of  PS (120s) and have the enhanced luck/resource collection etc

I agree with most of your points, but introducing both of these items, IMO will accomplish nothing except anger both PvPers and PvMers.
    Problem with Felucca is not that it exists. The problem is that the current design (PS location) and at least one recent update (increased demand for PSs due to taming) are driving the unwilling majority towards providing entertainment for the vocal minority. If UO's PvP cannot survive without forcing a stream of victims into Fel, then it's an abhorrent system that should not exist.   
    the only thing that is keeping felucca alive is the fact you can only get PS from there. I don't see any other point to it. Other incentives to go there eg, luck, double resources etc are nothing in comparison to this.obviously im being over-simplistic on this but in the greater scheme of things it boils down to this

I have no interest in going there ever unless forced to (e.g for handing in Cargo at Buccaneers Den), because I have no interest in randomly being entered into a Pvp encounter when im not equipped for it, expecting it, prepared for it, or want it.

Surely this must be a big warning light to the DEVs, or they already know this which is why they consistently put PS related stuff in Felucca, including the new Treasure hunting updates with 105/110 scrolls appearing in Felucca treasure map chests.

Other incentives to go there don't work as they cant overcome the PS imbalance.

Simple solution is to just let the place die and we all move on. Not good for nostalgia but im pretty sure it would make things a whole lot easier. 

- Kill the felucca facet

- introduce the monster/blocking/other felucca related tweaks ruleset to trammel champion spawns or specific areas (so people can still optionally enter into them)

- introduce PS (105,110,115) into the trammel champion spawns

Everyone is happy, all bases covered

Im useless at Pvp, but even in this it may actually make me enter into Pvp within the game because I can enter into it of my own free will....not have it forced upon me

There is little point of fel. I do VvV to sell the rewards. PvP only happens at yew gate, spawn areas or active VvV towns. The luck bonus is actually decent and double resources is nice at times. In general, most of fel is abandoned except for housing.

I honestly don't know how or why Yew gate has survived as the main spot.

The pvpers have rallied in the past to get Order and Chaos back into Tram but were met with major backlash as the Tram players said they didn't want to see pvp.

edited May 2019
    Sliss said:

- Kill the felucca facet

I agree with most of your points, but introducing both of these items, IMO will accomplish nothing except anger both PvPers and PvMers.
    Problem with Felucca is not that it exists. The problem is that the current design (PS location) and at least one recent update (increased demand for PSs due to taming) are driving the unwilling majority towards providing entertainment for the vocal minority. If UO's PvP cannot survive without forcing a stream of victims into Fel, then it's an abhorrent system that should not exist.   
    If UO's PvP cannot survive without forcing a stream of victims into Fel, then it's an abhorrent system that should not exist. "

To my opinion, the real problem with a lot of MMOs is that, in order to "populate" PvP areas, they offer items "exclusive" to those areas to attract players there.

To my viewing, this did not work for Ultima Online (having Powerscrolls exclusive of Felucca) and it actually hurt Ultima Online in many ways and it also hurt games where a Monopoly is permitted to exist in control of only a few players that then, drives inflation wild in that game.....

I have tried to argue my point of view on this argument in another Thread with various Posts starting with this one https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/24435/#Comment_24435 .

In just a few words, to my opinion, permitting to only a few players to hold and keep tight the Monopoly of Powerscrolls caused LOSS of players to UO, not increasing the players' base...

This, because such a Monopoly raised inflation in UO absurdedly and this caused players not having access to Powerscrolls to have to force themselves into excessive "grinds" in order to earn the inflated amounts of gold which Powerscrolls surged in their prices because of that Monopoly.

A few players survived those extensive grinds but many gave up, were burnt out by those excessive grinds caused by the Powerscrolls Monopoly in the hands of a few and Ultima Online lost much players' base because of this.

And Felucca did not even gain any particular population out of that....

So, to my opinion, having Powerscrolls as an exclusive item of Felucca only caused Ultima Online to loose lots of players and permitted to a very little minority of players to become uber wealthy in UO thanking to their controlling such a Monopoly and Powerscrolls' prices.

But for Ultima Online, as I see it at least, it was a disastrous thing which over time cost an enormous hemorrage of players burnt out by the too excessive grinding that they had to force themselves into in order to be able to afford the absurd prices that Powerscrolls were set to have by that Monopoly in the hands of only a few players.

Scroll monopoly isn't in the hands of just a few players. It's up for grabs for whoever can take it. PvP guild or not.

Spawns were not and are not meant for someone to walk in and solo all day.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2019
    Exclusive trammel players do not require 120 powerscrolls, for either pets, or themselves if all they are competing against is monsters/environment. So no trammel player is ever "forced" to pay high prices for anything. 

It's pure vanity.

So they kill a monster 10 seconds faster... if they want to spend 200 mill on my vendor for the privilege, who am i to stop them? The markets are self governing.

Most of the people who actually sell the scrolls are not people who raid champs even. They come from blues who transfer to dead shards for free or do champs at off peak times. Powerscrolls should've been made shard bound years ago.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

edited May 2019
    So @Mervyn you are trying to tell everybody that a 7xGM can do everything in a Tram rule set and never require any PSs what so ever.  Would you please enlighten all of us as to the templates you would run for all the high end MOBs that you can get in the Tram rule set, also I would love to see your Tamer build/Pets and their builds.  Please go to the Roof with a GM Warrior or Tamer or Mage.

And yes we all know it is Red PKers that raid the spawn and we all know that a blue has to take them to Atl vendors because Reds are not allowed in Tram rule set.

You act like you are telling us all this great wisdom when we all know it is just BS.  The MOBs have increased greatly that a GM anything is useless and you know it you just trying to keep your PSs in Fel so please stop with the BS.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    History lesson 
    Fel was emptied by the pk's reds and thiefs.  The minute the gates to Tram opened I watched each shards Feluccian  side dissolve to a barren land.   It was not players leaving the game … they found tram the best way to keep what they had at low risk.  Had nothing to do with the Dev.  
    As for getting people back to the danger zone.... The Elders of this game are a thin breed most have retired to the happy hunting grounds or are too busy keeping their retirement savings intact.
    The new kids on the block wouldn't be caught dead playing this game (sorry the few who do) its a fact the game is old and in their mind as dead as the pyramids.  So... the game has its addicts.
    A lot of us who caught the bug play and I will say I have homes still from day one in Fel.
    Getting more to fel is a good thought but I dare say its not gunna happen  at least in, my uo life time.

Propoganda worthy of Hollywood. :)

• RadstRadst Posts: 95
    Spawn ghost cam is a serious issue, but according to Mesanna in one of the recent M&G: but ghosts are "not doing anything".

YEP.

Except it is an alert system that sends message to your guildmates when certain keywords are detected in the journal. Nothing new.

This really puts legit players at a huge loss when pk guilds just sit around waiting to get free meal. Spawn is one of the fun stuff to do in UO, hacking mobs. But when your fun is constantly ruined by such cheat system, players do quit.

In case some ____ (fill in the blank) dont know how to read, it is not about pkilling or dying -- it is about the cheat system that is enabling pkilling at a single call. No time wasted for the PKs.

Griefing at its worst - one of the worst reasons why people left UO in the early days due to too many griefing.
    edited May 2019
    I said they don’t require 120 scrolls. The 110s/115s they can purchase for next to nothing. But yeah even you don’t NEED 110 magery or swords or anything if you’re only doing PvM.. 

i’ll give maybe one exception for music and discord as you might really need 120 to actually discord some things. 

You don’t think 10 people with 7xGM could do the roof???
    seriously Bilbo, it’s not hard at all.

Also, who said anything about keeping scrolls in fel? That was never a topic and Mesanna will NEVER allow powerscrolls in tram. 

I only gave all my 20 pets 120 everything just because I get the scrolls for free. If I had to pay for them or work a champ myself I wouldn’t bother putting any scrolls on them at all.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited May 2019
    Urge said:

Scroll monopoly isn't in the hands of just a few players. It's up for grabs for whoever can take it. PvP guild or not.

Spawns were not and are not meant for someone to walk in and solo all day.

I am sorry, but I need to wholeheartedly dissent from that.

#1 - Permitting the ongoing use of Scripted Cams (whether Ghosts or EF live, hidden Characters is irrelevant...) to AFK Monitor areas in Felucca allowed to a few players highly geared for PvP AND skilled in PvP gameplay to basically have control and, thus, the Monopoly of the availability and prices of Powerscrolls ;

#2 - With the huge wealth coming from absurdedly inflated prices from such a Monopoly of Powerscrolls, these few players (whether a small group or organized in a PvP Guild is, again, irrelevant, to my opinion, what matters is the end result...) have been able to have access to the very very top end items which have made them in PvP even more unbeatable from other players thus, making any attempt to break such a Monopoly futile and unsuccesfull ;

#3 - This "Status Quo" being permitted to keep going for a long time, with no real attempt to "break up" such a Monopoly, has driven inflation in UO "beyond" the roof and forced all other players, a clear majority, who did not and could not have access to Powerscrolls because of the 2 points above, to have to engage in extended and unacceptable grind gameplay elsewhere in order to put together the enormous amount of gold needed to afford to purchase Powerscrolls.
    Many of these players, did not endure this grinding which resulted in alienating them from wanting to play Ultima Online and they QUIT, further shrinking the players' base of Ultima Online.

Unfortunately, things KEEP going the wrong way, at least to my opinion, since not only the current "in the works" addition of Powerscrolls in Treasure Chest has not been permitted, in order to BREAK that Monopoly 9in the hands of a few, in facets OTHER then Felucca, BUT, even for the scrolls which will be found IN Felucca, has ONLY, at least to my knowledge, been permitted for 105 and 110 Powerscrolls, NOT for 115.

As we well know, to bind 110s into a 120 takes FOREVER and, thus, EVEN the current ongoing changes to Powerscrolls spawn WILL NOT MAKE A DENT in the current Monopoly in the hands of just a few players....

Powerscrolls' prices WILL stay absurdedly high in UO, they WILL keep forcing players to have to engage into endless and too extensive grinding gameplay elsewhere to earn the gold to purchase them and all this WILL keep just a few players in UO, thanking to this Monopoly, keep having the top PvP items and the unchallenged and unchallengeable ability to hold tight that Monopoly.

In REAL LIFE, there is a reason why Most Countries have ANTITRUST Agencies, to BREAK UP Monopolies because they have been found to be BAD for the Economies and for the health of the life of people in those Countries.....

Unfortunately, for reasons which I cannot understand, this does not seem to be considered in Ultima Online where, instead, strong and decisive positions seem not to be taken, at least to my opinion, to BREAK UP the Monopoly of Powerscrolls in the hands of only a few players/Guilds.

Current changes to Powerscrolls spawning in Treasure Chests "could" have been a good occasion towards making such a move to break up the Powerscrolls' Monopoly in the hands of a few BUT, it would have required, at least to my thinking, 2 decisions to have been taken :

1) - Any and ALL Powerscrolls 105 and 110 to spawn in any and ALL Treasure Chests, regardless of the facet (the Profession of the Chest would determine the type of skill that the Powerscroll would spawn as...);

2) - Only in Felucca, ALSO 115 and, possibly 120 Powerscrolls would have been spawned in Treasure Chests according to the Profession of the Chest.

In such a way, players would have been able to more readily be able to have access to Powerscrolls and that Monopoly would have been broken up, and prices for Powerscrolls gone down.

AND, most importantly, Felucca, having the spawn of 115s and 120s in Treasure Chests as an exclusivity over other Facets, would have actually seen players going there..... re-population of Felucca as wanted....

Unfortunately, it looks to me that the developers' Team is going for some other direction, apparently....

Is that so, @Kyronix ; and @Mesanna ; ? Or is there still some hope that the changes in the works WILL be done to break up the Powerscrolls Monopoly in the hands of just a few players that have plagued Ultima Online with so much inflation and forced too many players into mindless grinds which many have not endured forcing them to want to stop playing UO ?

That is at least my thoughts on the argument.
    edited May 2019
    Cookie said:
    History lesson 

NO  That would be called a true story worthy of Hollywood. 
    Sorry you can not accept the truth.  PKers killed Fel and many like myself had already voiced our concerns, we had already stopped logging on and accounts were not being renewed.  UO was bleeding fast and EA said fix it now so Tram was created and overnight the great Fel exodus began, subs were renewed and players returned, Fel became the wasteland known as the failed experiment.  UO was saved from the EA chopping block.
    edited May 2019
    This talk of monopoly on scrolls.

Its mostly lone sampires who sell them after transferring to dead shards or logging in at 3am to farm. Raiders catch only a small percentage of these.

Yes make scrolls shard bound to stop the scrolls leaving the shard.

edited May 2019
    Radst said:
    Spawn ghost cam is a serious issue, but according to Mesanna in one of the recent M&G: but ghosts are "not doing anything".

YEP.

Except it is an alert system that sends message to your guildmates when certain keywords are detected in the journal. Nothing new.

This really puts legit players at a huge loss when pk guilds just sit around waiting to get free meal. Spawn is one of the fun stuff to do in UO, hacking mobs. But when your fun is constantly ruined by such cheat system, players do quit.

In case some ____ (fill in the blank) dont know how to read, it is not about pkilling or dying -- it is about the cheat system that is enabling pkilling at a single call. No time wasted for the PKs.

Griefing at its worst - one of the worst reasons why people left UO in the early days due to too many griefing.
    ".....but according to Mesanna in one of the recent M&G: but ghosts are "not doing anything".

Dear @Mesanna , those Characters, whether EJ hidden, live characters and/or Ghosts, are used in quantity with AFK Scripts to Monitor the presence of other players in the Areas where they are stationed/wandering thanking to those Scripts.

And, to my knowing (please correct me if I am wrong...), using AFK Scripts to control ANY character is against Ultima Online's TOS, isn't it ?

If so, WHY nothing is done to stop this ongoing gameplay which is DETRIMENTAL to many other players' gameplay ?

"Except it is an alert system that sends message to your guildmates when certain keywords are detected in the journal. Nothing new. "

Precisely, when the Master of those AFK Scripted characters (Ghosts or EJ hidden live characters is irrelevant...) learns of the presence of any other players' character in the Area, what they usually do is Alert all of those PvP Guildmates on their Discord (or whatever other COMM system they might be using) channel wherever they might be to come to that Area and take care of the "Tresspassers" .....

This is precisely hiw the MONOPOLY is permitted to exist and keep going....

And such a Monopoly, dear Mesanna, as I tried to explain in lengths, I think HURTS MUCH Ultima Online overall, not helps it.

So, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, WHY the efforts from the Developers are not 100% aimed at BREAKING UP such a Monopoly of Powerscrolls and their prices in the hands of a few rather then seeing it keep going.......
    Bilbo said:
    Cookie said:
    History lesson 

NO  That would be called a true story worthy of Hollywood. 
    Sorry you can not accept the truth.  PKers killed Fel and many like myself had already voiced our concerns, we had already stopped logging on and accounts were not being renewed.  UO was bleeding fast and EA said fix it now so Tram was created and overnight the great Fel exodus began, subs were renewed and players returned, Fel became the wasteland known as the failed experiment.  UO was saved from the EA chopping block.
    That is SO TRUE, that even the UO's original Developers, to my understanding, acknowledged that in a Game Developers Conference https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016629/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Ultima where, according to this Article, https://massivelyop.com/2018/03/28/gd-2018-ultima-online-post-mortem-with-richard-garriott-starr-long-raph-koster-and-rich-vogel/ :

"Non-consensual PvP was a mistake

Naturally, PvP came up during the panels and the Q&A afterward. As painful as it may sound, one thing all the developers agreed on was that non-consensual PvP was a mistake."

To be noted, no dissent.... "ALL" of the Developers agreed on that.....

Mervyn said:
    This talk of monopoly on scrolls.

Its mostly lone sampires who sell them after transferring to dead shards or logging in at 3am to farm. Raiders catch only a small percentage of these.

Yes make scrolls shard bound to stop the scrolls leaving the shard.
    "Yes make scrolls shard bound to stop the scrolls leaving the shard. "

To further enhance and promote the MONOPOLY of Powerscrolls in the hands of just a few PvP players on any given Shard which SO MUCH hurts Ultima Online and LOOSES players to the game, to my opinion, and as I have been trying to explain ?

That would really be beyond my ability to comprehend Developer's choices.....

Monopolies ARE bad in ANY given environment be them real or digital !!!!

Look at REAL LIFE, Monopolies are FOUGHT AGAINST by Countries setting up ANTITRUST Agencies which break them up to consent healthy and competitive competition which LOWERS prices ....

And how does that happen, by INCREASING availability of an item NOT by reducing it....

Yet, inexplicabily, at least to my ability to comprehend, this does not happen in Ultima Online's World.... and such a Monopoly for Powerscrolls whose prices are way up would want to be further strenghtened by making them Shard bound and, thus, impeding the ability to "import" them from other Shards ?

It is the INCREASE in availability of an item which LOWERS its price, NOT the contrary....

If we want the price for Powerscrolls to GO DOWN and thus, break up this vicious circle of iper-inflation and massive, alienating grinding as necessary to afford them (which causes players to QUIT wanting to play UO...), it is necessary to INCREASE their availability, NOT reduce it...

That is at least the way I see it.
    edited May 2019
    No, the scrolls should be awarded to guilds with the skill to win the fights, not to players who have 14 year accounts with shard shields or players who work nights so can be on at 5am.

the people who are getting the scrolls via dead shard mining and spawning off peak are greedy and underhanded and not playing within the spirit of the game. People go to huge efforts to win group fights on main shards at peak times.

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    One reason to go to Fel for me was digging up high level treassure maps there. With the new loot this won't be worth it.

Please count -1 to the Fel population for me.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 241
    The Champ said it best:

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, it's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life but it ain't about hard you hit it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done now if you know what your worth then go out and get what your worth but you got to be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers saying your ain't where you want to be because of him or her or anybody! cowards do that!
    Mervyn said:
    No, the scrolls should be awarded to guilds with the skill to win the fights, not to players who have 14 year accounts with shard shields or players who work nights so can be on at 5am.

the people who are getting the scrolls via dead shard mining and spawning off peak are greedy and underhanded and not playing within the spirit of the game. People go to huge efforts to win group fights on main shards at peak times.
    "...the people who are getting the scrolls via dead shard mining and spawning off peak are greedy and underhanded a.nd not playing within the spirit of the game. People go to huge efforts to win group fights on main shards at peak times."

Using AFK Scripted Ghost Cams or free EJ hidden characters to Monitor those Areas so as to intervene only when needed by calling up fellow PvP Guilmates on Discord or whatever other Comm utility is being used, only "if" and "when" needed ?

Is THIS the "Spirit of the Game" ?

To use abundant AFK scripting which is against, to my knowledge, Ultima Online's TOS to start with ?

Please.............
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Popps… Have you really tried to do a spawn to get your own scrolls? Its not that hard, even I can do it. If you really are that afraid of fel, just buy 115's. Not that expensive and really not much difference between 115 and 120s. I do agree on bard skills though, 120 all the way.

Before you say I don't have any gold to buy the 115s, try to earn it.   example, I train pets on Narvey. Two tangles this week just training unskilled, unscrolled pets. Each one sold for over 20 mil. Boom, 40 mil will buy a lot of 110's and 115's or a couple good 120's. Use vendor search, type scroll 115 and see what ya get. May surprise you.
    Mervyn said:
    I said they don’t require 120 scrolls. The 110s/115s they can purchase for next to nothing. But yeah even you don’t NEED 110 magery or swords or anything if you’re only doing PvM.. 

i’ll give maybe one exception for music and discord as you might really need 120 to actually discord some things. 

You don’t think 10 people with 7xGM could do the roof???
    seriously Bilbo, it’s not hard at all.

Also, who said anything about keeping scrolls in fel? That was never a topic and Mesanna will NEVER allow powerscrolls in tram. 

I only gave all my 20 pets 120 everything just because I get the scrolls for free. If I had to pay for them or work a champ myself I wouldn’t bother putting any scrolls on them at all.
    LMAO People solo the roof so show me you 7xGM to solo the roof, oh wait you can't.  Just a bunch of hot air blowing in the wind.  Awaits your next song and dance.
This discussion has been closed.