Pub 105 - Treasure Map Update Phase I *Bugs, Loot, and Guardian Mob Distribution Only*

Comments

• ArronArron Posts: 485
    You dont have to swap suits if you don't want to. Plus if you use the luck statue you have a luck boost, the older the account the more luck you will get. @Margrette
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Arron said:
    You dont have to swap suits if you don't want to. Plus if you use the luck statue you have a luck boost, the older the account the more luck you will get. @ Margrette
    Yeah, but the Luck Statue boost only lasts 1 hour and can be used only once in 24 hours....

That's good enough for only (at most) a couple of Tresure Maps...

Now, if the Statue luck boost duration was to be extended for more hours... it would be a different story....
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Why can't the luck statue just have an hour cool-down after use? An hour isn't a huge number or maps....
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited April 2019
    At GM carto, stash supplies appear to be all gold chests. Supply chests are a mix of metal and gold, with no (or very little) rusty.

Horde chests start to get troublesome, where half the chests I dug up were rusty. I did find a coffin piece inside a rusty horde chest, though, so I suppose the odds are just lower than gold - in fact, none of the gold chests had anything special at all. This is where my frustration kicks in. With the current system, every lvl 6 chest has a green bag with an artifact. Period. Does not matter what facet. I got 5 coffin pieces in all, out of 20 Malas horde and trove maps, and absolutely nothing else (except the gem/gold bag, which was a nice amount). The coffins used to be RNG pieces only available in lvl 7 maps, tho... so I guess that is a win. According to the patch notes, the other decorative items are to be found on other facets, and the artifacts are in Supply chests now instead but are no longer guaranteed.

After studying the patch notes and reports on forums, I have concluded that I am fairly satisfied with the new system and my current map-farming will not change. I am not a dedicated treasure hunter. It is just something I do on the side, when the mood strikes, when my randomly acquired collection of maps adds up to a relaxing evening of t-mapping. So it does not bother me if my casual approach will not grant me access to all the items one can get from t-mapping. However, it is starting to look like my current methods will still work well. The rest of this excessively lengthy post is just my take on treasure hunting with the new system as it pertains to my avoidance of RNG, which maybe other casual t-mappers might find useful:

Doom Guardians: Every single mob drops one map, lvl 1-3 Malas. I do not bother with these currently, but the new system will give me a reason. That is a good thing. According to the patch notes, Supply chests (current lvl 2 and 3) are the ones that contain the minor artifact drops without regard to facet, though I have yet to see any. These should also contain the new Utility items, which are based on package and not facet. These should also have a chance at SoA, though I will be limited to the range of skills available for Malas chests. I will be limited to necro regs in mage stash chests. These chests should also give me the occasional Cache map.

Zippy Quest: Every single map is an adept tram (Fel for me) map, each of which always currently contains imbue materials. To get the gems needed to get the map, I run the Eodon Tribe subquest for the very pretty guaranteed quest reward, and farm Volcano Elementals along the way because every single mob drops one of the GM gems or LJ item, including white pearl. When the 3 gems I need for the map add up to 10, I do a chain of Zippy Maps. I will miss being able to get imbue essences this way, but I do like having a chance at mana orbs now. These chests also appear to be the new RNG source of artifacts, and will give me the occasional cache map and the full range of the new Utility items (which do not appear to be based on facet). My SoA from these will be limited to Fel rewards.

Miasma: Average of 4 per hour, RNG, but every single chest has a lvl 6 map inside. Guaranteed artifact currently, as well as RNG for ALL of the other decorative items. I will continue to do these, but I will miss the guaranteed green backbacks because those have been changed to a lower level and made RNG to boot. Although, I will say it will be much easier to get those Supply maps for the artifacts (Doom Guardians, Zippy subquest, and the Town Cryer quest). Higher payout in gold and gems, however, with 10 maps averaging about half a mil. On my shard, that is a nice chunk of change. These paragon chests generate Horde maps for random facets, so it should occasionally give me a Fel horde (cuz it's Siege), with a chance at Power Scroll. Nice. The new Decorative items will be available in these chests, based on facet, so I will not be limited there either. I will also get the occasional Malas Cache map from the beast itself. Unfortunately for me, however, is that Malas Horde was the easiest for me to solo and previously had the full range of decorative items and artifacts. I do not know yet which facets have which decorative items now, but I do know that I cannot solo Horde level for all facets. I can solo most Cache level chests, but have no way to reliably farm that level of map (for any facet, let alone specific ones) without a ton of grind. That is a down side for me. I am now taking it as a personal challenge to step up my t-mapper's game so I can do those other facets. (Yeah, I know, they are intended as a group activity, but on Siege that is hard to arrange.)

I do not currently have a method to directly farm lvl 4-5 maps (cache), but from what I read on the patch notes I still won't need to. There does not seem to be any rewards specific JUST for cache chests, so I see no reason to target them for direct farming other than the fact that they are easier for me to do solo. As far as I can tell, the only thing I will be missing out on, overall, is specific skills for SoA that I have yet to determine and certain materials in facet-related stash maps. I cannot think of reliable mobs to farm for Ter Mur stash maps, for example, so I will lose out on the imbue materials. Back to the Abyss for me!

Of course, none of this pertains to the gear in these chests, but I have always mostly ignored that and it seems that practice will continue cuz I do not run around on Siege Perilous in a 2K luck suit. I know this was a wall of text, but maybe some one will find these observations useful. I am finished with testing until the next update to TC1.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited April 2019
    @Tanager don't forget that hag's quest maps now go up to, and including, level 6 - so I presume they will in future give up to 'horde'? I do the quest in Fel, giving me a supply of Felucca maps.

Oh!  (edit) that's what I'll do today, some hag's quests on test.
    Ohhh nice, I forgot all about her! Ok, I will run a few also, and see how that turns out. Great, thank!
    Guess it was not meant to be lol - it won't let me copy my Atl char (even tho the 24 hours have passed) and I really don't want to run repeated Hag quests without my maps+runes for it. Lemme know how your runs turn out, though, please!
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    jaytin said:
    Why can't the luck statue just have an hour cool-down after use? An hour isn't a huge number or maps....
    Yeah, I never really understood that. Why not just give us the message that our luck has worn off and let us go back home and rub the UO Buddha's belly again?
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    @Kyronix is there any truth to the rumor that Cartography or Remove Trap will soon be able to be trained to 120? 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    KHAN said:
    @ Kyronix is there any truth to the rumor that Cartography or Remove Trap will soon be able to be trained to 120? 
    Is that just speculation on your home shard? I never read anything here about that.
  • WhesslesWhessles Posts: 49
    KHAN said:
    @ Kyronix is there any truth to the rumor that Cartography or Remove Trap will soon be able to be trained to 120? 
    Where in the world did this "rumor" originate? I have read every post in the 2 official threads on the changes. the only 2 postings that even sort of resemble this is Kyronix mentioning new cartography items possibly being placed in chests with a *spoiler alert* near it. There was also a post after that where someone asked if cartography would act like mining (and mining gloves) or if the skill cap would increase. 
    Is there another source where you are getting your information for this rumor? Because honestly, there has been nothing in this thread that has hinted toward that in anything that resembles a tangible manner. If you have another information stream you are using I would like to know. It is important to me to keep up to date with the conversation on T-mapping, as it is one of my more enjoyed aspects of the game currently. 
    edited April 2019
    Failing to remove the trap, while a bit annoying, causes no destruction of the contents. Or least, not to any of the maps I did. I failed a few times without setting off the trap, and another time the trap blew up in my face. But in both cases, there were no dust piles. I see no reason for 120 remove trap. Lockpicking, however, destroyed several items in several chests, and THAT did annoy me. The skeleton keys might help, but they also fail a lot. I would not mind to see LP go to 120 - better if the required skill was reduced just a bit tho.

As for carto, there is some speculation (in this thread) because Kyronix mentioned +carto items being added to the chest loot tables. So, people are unclear if this means it will allow you to go over the cap (like mining gloves do) or only be useful if you have less than GM carto (like certain other +skill items are). No real mention of 120 carto tho. I guess it would be nice, if it helped to get more gold chests, but I really don't want to try to cram that into my template.
  • WhesslesWhessles Posts: 49
    @Tanager I use all skeleton keys (since they stack to 100 for 1 stone and are insurable). They are also easy to gather using dark guardian maps. I don't know if it helps any on the unlocking of chests as far as percentages. I get a gas failure once in about 7-10 chests currently. 
    Disclaimer: Everything beyond this point is superstition and hokum!

I never retry immediately. If I get a fail that doesn't fail catastrophically I give it a few extra seconds. I have no idea how RNGs come into play here, this is just my specific quirk.  

I run ~2180 luck on my "battle suit". As a tamer, I can get away with it. I swap 1 pice out to get me just above 2300. Anytime I unlock a chest I use my max luck. Again, no idea if this does anything at all, but it is my specific quirk. Keep in mind I am only talking about unlocking chance here. I know (think) that at this point chest contents are already generated so the luck bump at this stage does nothing inside the chest aside from possibly creating a go boom. 

• KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    LilyGrace said:
    KHAN said:
    Is that just speculation on your home shard? I never read anything here about that.
    Whessles said:
    KHAN said:
    Where in the world did this "rumor" originate? I have read every post in the 2 official threads on the changes. the only 2 postings that even sort of resemble this is Kyronix mentioning new cartography items possibly being placed in chests with a *spoiler alert* near it. There was also a post after that where someone asked if cartography would act like mining (and mining gloves) or if the skill cap would increase. 
    Is there another source where you are getting your information for this rumor? Because honestly, there has been nothing in this thread that has hinted toward that in anything that resembles a tangible manner. If you have another information stream you are using I would like to know. It is important to me to keep up to date with the conversation on T-mapping, as it is one of my more enjoyed aspects of the game currently. 
    I read about the possibility the "other" forum, and figured I would try to get some clarification. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    Tanager said:
    Failing to remove the trap, while a bit annoying, causes no destruction of the contents. Or least, not to any of the maps I did. I failed a few times without setting off the trap, and another time the trap blew up in my face. But in both cases, there were no dust piles. I see no reason for 120 remove trap. Lockpicking, however, destroyed several items in several chests, and THAT did annoy me. The skeleton keys might help, but they also fail a lot. I would not mind to see LP go to 120 - better if the required skill was reduced just a bit tho.

As for carto, there is some speculation (in this thread) because Kyronix mentioned +carto items being added to the chest loot tables. So, people are unclear if this means it will allow you to go over the cap (like mining gloves do) or only be useful if you have less than GM carto (like certain other +skill items are). No real mention of 120 carto tho. I guess it would be nice, if it helped to get more gold chests, but I really don't want to try to cram that into my template.
    Makes more sense to me that we'd lose loot if we fail at RT and not lose any loot because of failing lockpicking.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    Unless they changed it... I personally had Remove Trap blow up all the randomly generated loot in a chest. I don't recall 100%, but I think it was a cache chest. It didn't affect the gems or the gold, but I had several dust piles that weren't from failed lockpicking attempts.

On the other hand, lockpicking failures still destroyed a gold pile for me at one point.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Whessles said:
    KHAN said:
    The rumor "may" have generated from the indication that, within Treasure Chest, items with +Cartography will be poissible to be found....

These items (not the current Talismans with +Cartography on them...) will, is my understanding, help to increase the quality of the loot.

Perhaps, some read in this, the idea that these +Cartography items would have been needed to get faster to 120 Cartography and, thus, there would have been Powerscrolls for Treasure Hunting?

I do not see, otherwise, how else such a rumor could have generated...
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited April 2019
    @Kyronix, found this today in a Cache Mage Gold chest in Ter Mur.  This seems like an odd choice for loot since it has no properties of any kind or even a nice color.  

ADDED:  Just noticed that a Cache Ranger Gold chest dug up in Ter Mur minutes later has gargish leather wing armor, also with no properties or special color.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Fletching, Carpentry, Tinkering, Alchemy, Cooking, Inscription, Masonry and Cartography all have Tallies and none of them are being hinted at going to 120 and these Tallies have been around a long time.
    I really like the added elven glasses and circlets. The circlets offer a chance at a 150 medable luck item that is pretty (I currently have to burn runics to get reforged circlets, as I don't like any of the other enhancable head pieces.) I have not tested these new glasses, but all of the other glasses are repaired by tinkers and not enhancable, so I would treat them like a cloth head piece. But 150 luck with LRC is still useful and looks neat! I am looking forward to a disposable supply. I also saw some dragon armor, which I think is pretty cool looking.

I think it is kind of neat for the gargish wings to be included, but they do take up a loot slot that could have generated something more useful.
    @Kyronix

Will TC1 be wiped for the SOS testing? I would like to copy over several aquariums and get them going for testing of that, but don't want to do all that now if it will be nuked.
    edited April 2019
    @Kyronix, is it still definite that the Barbarian and Warrior themes will be combined?  This seems like a bad change to me because so many different items will then be included that it will take a lot of work to get the particular item you want.  I haven't done enough of them to identify which skills are associated with each theme, but I think that combining those two themes will also make it harder to get specific SoAs, SoTs, and power scrolls.

Here is what I've currently identified for armor types for each of these two themes:

BARBARIAN - Platemail arms, dragon helm, female elven plate, female plate, gauntlets, gargish stone amulet, plate helm, platemail gloves, platemail gorget, small platemail jingasa, woodland gorget, woodland leggings.

WARRIOR - Chainmail leggings, dragon gloves, dragon leggings, dragon sleeves, helmet, leather cap, ringmail sleeves, tricorne hat, vulture helm, winged helm.

Here is what I've found for weapon types for each of these themes:

BARBARIAN - Club, crescent blade, diamond mace, mace, maul, war mace.

WARRIOR - Bardiche, broadsword, gargish pike, halberd, lance, longsword, no-dachi, pike, radiant scimitar, scimitar, short spear, viking sword, war fork.

And of course, as things are now, only the Warrior-themed chests have shields.

I haven't been able to get many deco items yet, and none for these two themes, so I would also think that if the deco items are associated with each theme, then one of them might be left out?  Or at the very least, if the deco items for both themes are included in the Warrior theme going forward, getting either one is going to be harder if you want to specialize.

Just my thoughts on it.  I'm really curious as to why you have decided to combine the two themes if one of the objectives of the publish are to make it easier to go after certain items.  Seems like combining two themes doesn't really meet that objective.

@Kyronix, will the theme of an uncompleted map change when the location changes after 30 (?) days?
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    To answer a couple questions...

There are no plans to introduce Cartography or RT PS, any bonus cartography items would work like the mining gloves.

We will not be wiping TC1 again during this publish cycle

@Margrette - the lack of properties on those gargoyle items is a bug.  The maps will only change location after 30 days.

Re: The combining of Warrior/Barbarian is mostly do to the availability of items beyond the magically generated equipment.  To handle the fact that the warrior list is now pretty large, some of those items will be redistributed to other professions packages TBD.

Kyronix said:

@ Margrette - the lack of properties on those gargoyle items is a bug.  The maps will only change location after 30 days.
    @Kyronix, are there any plans to add maps as loot to more monsters?  Will the publish notes or the wiki be updated to indicate which monsters that are unique to Eodon will have the potential to drop maps as loot?

Has any consideration been given to the possibility of allowing characters to cast gates while inside Ilshenar or Eodon to locations outside of Ilshenar and Eodon?   It would make treasure hunting as a group a little bit easier in both facets.  However, it might be an unexpected/unwelcome change to Siege and Mugen.
    @Kyronix, will you be adding Stash-level maps to any creatures in Ter Mur?  I looked at the wiki and, as Tanagar pointed out earlier, it doesn't look like any of the creatures that drop Plainly Drawn maps spawn in Ter Mur.  Is our only source for these going to be Grizelda?
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Margrette said:
    Kyronix said:

@ Margrette - the lack of properties on those gargoyle items is a bug.  The maps will only change location after 30 days.
    @ Kyronix, are there any plans to add maps as loot to more monsters?  Will the publish notes or the wiki be updated to indicate which monsters that are unique to Eodon will have the potential to drop maps as loot?

Has any consideration been given to the possibility of allowing characters to cast gates while inside Ilshenar or Eodon to locations outside of Ilshenar and Eodon?   It would make treasure hunting as a group a little bit easier in both facets.  However, it might be an unexpected/unwelcome change to Siege and Mugen.

Might not have to open gates from Eodon or Ilsh.  Maybe they could let those binding bracelets work again---give them some use for a change

edited April 2019
    @Kyronix, I believe the publish notes say the decorative items will vary by theme and facet.  I've only gotten three so far and it seems like the variation might not be based on the facet.  I'm wondering if it's based on the theme only?

I got an hourglass from an Mage Cache chest in Ilshenar.
    I got a creeping vine from a Ranger Cache chest in Ter Mur.
    I got another creeping vine from a Ranger Cache chest in Malas.

Can you confirm whether the decorative items will be tied to facets or will be tied to themes?  Are there going to be any decorative items besides hourglasses, creeping vines, and coffin pieces?  Are you going to borrow any deco items from sunken chests, e.g., grape vines and copper ingots?  I'm having trouble thinking of five different deco items from chests that would fit the eventual five themes.
    edited April 2019
    I am no longer actually sure which items count as Decorative, Utility, and Artifact.

From the patch notes:

Minor Artifacts (All packages, Supply)
    • Legacy Minor artifacts & Pub 67 Artifacts
    To me, this translated as the Pub 67 items (mana phasing orb, creeping vines, surge shield, runed sash, skeleton keys, cold blood, forged pardon) and the traditional treasure chest minor artifacts: Candelabra of Souls, Heart of the Lion, Gwenno's Harp, etc. I would not have expected to find Creeping Vine in a Cache chest, based on the notes.
    • Decorative Items (All packages when available, Cache and above)
      • Legacy & New Decorative Items based on package and facet
      • New: Hourglass Table
    • Utility Items (Assassin, Artisan, and Ranger Supply)
      • Legacy & New Utility Items based on package
      • New: Shield Engraving Tool
    What is considered ''legacy'' decorative? The Creeping Vines, I suppose, since they have been found in cache chests...  The Orb I found was in a mage supply chest, so I am assuming it is in the artifact category, since mage is not listed in the utility packages. Is Candelabra of Souls a legacy artifact, or a legacy decorative item? Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but it is driving me crazy.

Is there any way we can get some sort of definitive list?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Please fix the character copy. It has been down for a week.  To fully test how I tmap hunt I need equipment I left on my home shard.

This discussion has been closed.