Pub 105 - Treasure Map Update Phase I *Bugs, Loot, and Guardian Mob Distribution Only*

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited April 2019
    Tanager said:
    I am not concerned about open space - I will always take simplicity and efficiency over ''clutter''. None of the Malas maps I did had any imbue materials. Which level of which professions do I need to be targeting? Cuz Every. Single. Adept. Map. currently contains imbue materials.

I was just going to log in and say that I misremembered Margrette's spreadsheet. But she got the correct info posted before I did.

Essences are in Ter Mur - Stash - Assassin, Barbarian, Warrior
    ML ingredients are in Malas - Stash - Assassin, Barbarian, Warrior

I'll have to keep reminding myself that Essences are spawning in Ter Mur. They are just spawning in fighter chests, not Artisan chests. Which is fine, just not where I think about them being.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Arroth
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Thank you @Margrette !! I have said from the start that I like the idea of targeting specific maps for specific items, but I am not the brightest crayon in the box so I am having a little trouble wrapping my brain around 3 levels of chests for 5 professions across 7 facets. It is a bit overwhelming, but your list does help a lot!

I did 8 Malas stash maps before I ran out of energy. They did seem to be fairly consistent. I think because they were ALL gold chests due to my GM carto in comparison to a lvl 1 map. It is the higher levels that get frustratingly RNG for me (compared to the reliability of what we have NOW) due to the 3 levels of chests, but I suppose that will be helped by the added +carto items. MMOs change, new levels of challenge are added to keep things interesting, and that is how I will choose to look at this revamp.

Please, PLEASE, do not make the +carto items something like a shovel that consume charges on Siege - or make them reasonable to obtain. This is an ongoing issue on Siege... things like Corroded Axe are not only very hard to get on Siege and Mugen, but consume double charges when used. I know we are only two shards, but please do try to keep us in mind.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    @Kyronix Please keep in mind that "+Cartography items" that have to take the place of a piece of armor/jewelry/boots/capes/etc.. aren't really helpful, as most people who play UO figure their suits, already use those slots when building them. So while something like a "+10 cartography pair of gloves",  SOUNDS nice, I suspect the reality is that most people need the gloves/tali/boots/etc... they are already wearing.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    Easy enough to swap out one or two pieces of gear after the chest is dug up, though.
    It is unfortunate that the imbue materials are in ter mur stash maps... I honestly cannot think of anything I can reliably farm that would drop a reasonable supply of these. I will return to farming the essences directly in the Abyss, I suppose. On the bright side, I suppose that will increase their value.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Whessles said:
    Bards are generally their own beast. if consolidation of warrior and barbarian is going to happen anyway, it would suggest that the placeholder for the barbarian slot still exists. More generally in an object-oriented environment creating a new bard chest would not be that complex. All of those words to say that maybe bard specific chests make sense. 

Originally I was thinking of a Bard chest as well, but I think Kyronix is correct, there just isn't enough to put in it at this time. If we did just a Bard chest, what would go in it? Instruments obviously, but then what? Mana regen orbs maybe, some mana regen gear... there really is not much that is Bard specific.

We could add stuff, like Ice/Acid/Lightning horns to match the existing Fire Horns, but unless you put uses on the horns, you'd get them after a few chests and be done. And now we're into making new loot, which might be beyond the scope of the current publish. Better to merge Bards with something (say Rangers, both groups wander around the landscape right?) then to have a specific chest.

Trust me, I like the idea of a Bard chest. For me, clearly you, and maybe 5% of the player base that would be a fun interesting little addition. But for 95% of the player base those chests would be worthless trash and there would be endless bitter complaints.

Tanager said:
    This is the reward for 5 Zippy (adept) quest maps currently on live shards:

The new system has better gold and gems, plus the cute bag holding them, which are guaranteed loot. The rest, however, has been changed to RNG. I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this and find it to be a frustrating change that does NOT count as an upgrade in loot.

The new system has all that loot, except MiB's. It's just divided up differently. Instead of finding it all in one chest, you can now hunt for it in specific areas. Which reduces RNG, because you're only getting the thing you're hunting for. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a chest hoping for an essence and got a tasty treat. I will be happy to see tasty treats relegated to Rangers. (Ranger maps for sale! 1 DOLLAR!)

I understand you're saying all this used to be in one chest, every time, and now it is divided up and we have to go to different profession chests for it. Hopefully new things will be added and drop rates increased so that each of the new profession chests will be just as worthwhile as the older "all in one" chests. And hopefully the whole system will be easier to develop so we can see more additions to the professions over time. 

Anyway, as a result of all this some chests do currently seem empty, but that's hopefully where the new stuff they are planning (and a few drop rate increases) will fill things out a bit. Overall it looks like we'll end up with more than we currently have, we just have to wait for it to get fleshed out.

-
    The Essences are currently in Malas, which should be Ter Mur (I think!).
    MiB's are gone. (Unless someone has found some?)
    Creeping Vines...these I honestly don't know about.
    Tasty Treats are in Ranger Supply.
    Recipe are in Artisan Supply.
    Refinements in Artisan Stash. And a lot more of them.
    Tmaps in both Stash and Supply, all profs.
    Reagents in Mage Stash.
    Necro reagents in Mage Stash Malas.
    Gems in at least Stash, Supply, Cache. And in significant quantities.
    Zippy stuff...probably in Eodon.
    Gold in at least Stash, Supply, Cache.
    -

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the chests feeling empty at the moment. That is, I think, an affect of adjusting to a theme based loot system where not everything is in one grab bag chest. However, it will be fun to hunt for just specific things. And trading maps will be fun. Hopefully the next iteration of loot fills a lot of the open space.

Don't panic!

"Trust me, I like the idea of a Bard chest. For me, clearly you, and maybe 5% of the player base that would be a fun interesting little addition. But for 95% of the player base those chests would be worthless trash and there would be endless bitter complaints."

The GREAT thing about Treasure Maps "specialized" in different "professions", is that one can seek those Maps with the type of items which they need and disregard those with items which they have no use for, given their template(s).

So, with Bards, there would be players who have Bards and thus would look for such Treasure Maps and those who do not have Bards who will perhaps sell these Treasure Maps to those Bards looking for them ?

So, in the end, more Treasure Maps to do for Bards !!

I LOVE this specialization of Treasure Maps' contents in various Profession, I find it VERY usefull and a time saver.

Dig up only the Chests that have the contents/items that one needs/wants !!

edited April 2019
    Whessles said:
    Tanager said:
    I am not concerned about open space - I will always take simplicity and efficiency over ''clutter''. None of the Malas maps I did had any imbue materials. Which level of which professions do I need to be targeting? Cuz Every. Single. Adept. Map. currently contains imbue materials.
    I don't remember seeing any either, but based upon the notes I believe stash. 

Special Crafting Materials (Assassin, Warrior & Barbarian, Stash)
    • Essences, Mondain’s Legacy Ingredients available based on facet
    EXCUSE ME ???

What do you mean, "based on the Notes" ?

It is INTENDED that Artisans' Treasure Maps, intended for CRAFTERS, to my understanding, do NOT have crafting materials and they will ONLY be found in "Assassins", "Warriors/Barbarians" Treasure Maps ?

Excuse me ? @Kyronix is that REALLY so ?

Shouldn't ARTISANS' Treasure maps, intended for Crafters, to my understanding, be those Treasure Maps having the special Crafting loot before any other Profession ??
    Tanager said:

I was just going to log in and say that I misremembered Margrette's spreadsheet. But she got the correct info posted before I did.

Essences are in Ter Mur - Stash - Assassin, Barbarian, Warrior
    ML ingredients are in Malas - Stash - Assassin, Barbarian, Warrior

I'll have to keep reminding myself that Essences are spawning in Ter Mur. They are just spawning in fighter chests, not Artisan chests. Which is fine, just not where I think about them being.

Sorry for the confusion.

"I'll have to keep reminding myself that Essences are spawning in Ter Mur. They are just spawning in fighter chests, not Artisan chests. Which is fine, just not where I think about them being."

Please, explain to me why it would be "fine" that needed "crafting" materials would NOT spawn in Crafters' Treasure Maps (The Artisans Treasure Maps which, to my understanding, are addressed to Crafters....) ?

Because, for the life of me, I cannot really understand why "Crafters' " Treasure Maps, the Artisans' Treasure Maps, would NOT be given as loot much needed crafting materials/resources...

It is beyond my understanding....
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited April 2019
    Tanager said:
    Easy enough to swap out one or two pieces of gear after the chest is dug up, though.
    This is not something I plan to be doing.  It infuriates me that this is the solution for getting better loot:  Do something hokey.  Do something that shouldn't have to be done.  Find a bandaid solution.

Why is this how UO always seems to end up?  Does anyone ever think about how stupid our home-grown solutions end up sounding to someone new/returning-after-eons to UO?   We sound like we're playing a game where the designers are just really, really stingy and don't care how much it pisses off the players.   It has gotten way past the point where a lot of players wonder if this game is for people who play to have fun or if it is really for people who play to make money off UO.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:
    This is not something I plan to be doing.  It infuriates me that this is the solution for getting better loot:  Do something hokey.  Do something that shouldn't have to be done.  Find a bandaid solution.

Why is this how UO always seems to end up?  Does anyone ever think about how stupid our home-grown solutions end up sounding to someone new/returning-after-eons to UO?   We sound like we're playing a game where the designers are just really, really stingy and don't care how much it pisses off the players.   It has gotten way past the point where a lot of players wonder if this game is for people who play to have fun or if it is really for people who play to make money off UO.
    So would you rather they just did away with luck all together, now that will piss off a lot of players.
    They put in a dress macro to help with this but I guess that isn't good enough for you, sad.
    Just use your reg suit and don't worry about it if it pisses you off so much and accept the loot you get.
    Do T-Maps as a group and let the luck suit person dig it up and you guard them and split the loot.

IMHO you are the only one crying about swapping suits, the rest of us were crying that luck was being taken out of the equation after spending real money from UO to make them.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    @Margrette you are not alone in your views on suit swapping, dual-clienting and the stinginess of loot. I guess I'm crying too....you shouldn't be having to spend real money on a suit in a subscription game. I've never used a luck suit for t-hunting, I tried my mage's luck suit a couple of times and it made no great difference to the loot I got.
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

So would you rather they just did away with luck all together, now that will piss off a lot of players.
    They put in a dress macro to help with this but I guess that isn't good enough for you, sad.
    Just use your reg suit and don't worry about it if it pisses you off so much and accept the loot you get.
    Do T-Maps as a group and let the luck suit person dig it up and you guard them and split the loot.

IMHO you are the only one crying about swapping suits, the rest of us were crying that luck was being taken out of the equation after spending real money from UO to make them.
    I guess if it ends up that the only way to get anything worthwhile out of treasure chests is to swap on a high-luck suit, then I will have to think about packing up stuff and leaving UO.  I refuse to spend any additional real money on UO past the amount I pay for subscription fees.  If that means I'm relegated to being no better than a bum in UO, I guess I'll be done.  I am not going to pay third parties real money to enjoy playing UO.  I just won't do it.  It's a crock.
    @Margrette well said! I agree with you 100%
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

I guess if it ends up that the only way to get anything worthwhile out of treasure chests is to swap on a high-luck suit, then I will have to think about packing up stuff and leaving UO.  I refuse to spend any additional real money on UO past the amount I pay for subscription fees.  If that means I'm relegated to being no better than a bum in UO, I guess I'll be done.  I am not going to pay third parties real money to enjoy playing UO.  I just won't do it.  It's a crock.
    +1 !!!!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • WhesslesWhessles Posts: 49
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

I have 2300 luck on my mapper and have spent 0 dollars real money. You can get metal of artifacts for about 40m (give or take the market fluctuations). Since I have been back in the game only 6 months I have no reason to assume this amount of gold is unattainable by the general population. 

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Luck has always played a part in the quality of magic items in a treasure chest. I may be missing something, but is luck going to affect other contents in future?  I've not seen that said.  I have 430 luck on my suit, and top that up with the luck statue bonus. I have no plan to re-build a suit or to swap suits halfway through an activity.  

I have a question on +cartography items.  Other +skill items, with the exception of mining gloves and Ancient Smith Hammers, do not take your skill above cap.  I can't, for example, have 120 music and add to that with the library talisman, life of a travelling minstrel. How will the + cartography items work? Will there be any point in having them if you are already a GM cartographer?
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

So getting something from the UOStore is now considered buying from a 3rd party, wow.  I have a max luck suit that is from stuff gotten in game and the pieces that are 190 luck my crafters made.  Yes I spent $10 in the UOStore for the %100 enhancement from reg leather to spine.  Try again with your unfounded rant.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    edited April 2019
    Luck has always played a part in the quality of magic items in a treasure chest. I may be missing something, but is luck going to affect other contents in future?  I've not seen that said.  I have 430 luck on my suit, and top that up with the luck statue bonus. I have no plan to re-build a suit or to swap suits halfway through an activity.  

I have a question on +cartography items.  Other +skill items, with the exception of mining gloves and Ancient Smith Hammers, do not take your skill above cap.  I can't, for example, have 120 music and add to that with the library talisman, life of a travelling minstrel. How will the + cartography items work? Will there be any point in having them if you are already a GM cartographer?
    I would imagine they'd work like Melisande's Crude Corroded Hatchet. It doesn't physically increase the skill cap, but does still improve the odds of getting bark fragments, fungi, amber, parasitic plants, etc.
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

So getting something from the UOStore is now considered buying from a 3rd party, wow.  I have a max luck suit that is from stuff gotten in game and the pieces that are 190 luck my crafters made.  Yes I spent $10 in the UOStore for the %100 enhancement from reg leather to spine.  Try again with your unfounded rant.
    You know, don't worry about any comments I make.  I'm sure my opinions and comments carry less than zero weight with the dev team.  I'm a nobody.  I'm not one of the EMs.  I'm not a scripter.  I'm not running a third party store.  I mean nothing to anyone at Broadsword.  You don't need to worry that what you want is going to happen.
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

You know, don't worry about any comments I make.  I'm sure my opinions and comments carry less than zero weight with the dev team.  I'm a nobody.  I'm not one of the EMs.  I'm not a scripter.  I'm not running a third party store.  I mean nothing to anyone at Broadsword.  You don't need to worry that what you want is going to happen.
    You do T-Maps now and you have no problem with them and you do understand that luck plays a part in the loot generated and you are ok with that but oh damn them for allowing luck to play the same role in the new T-Map loot.  LMAO
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

You do T-Maps now and you have no problem with them and you do understand that luck plays a part in the loot generated and you are ok with that but oh damn them for allowing luck to play the same role in the new T-Map loot.  LMAO
    I have no interest in suit-swapping.  I currently use a suit with 600 luck on my treasure hunter.  If I'm going to have to wear a luck suit with the highest possible luck on it to get SoAs, SoTs, and recipes that I can currently get now with my 600 luck suit, then I'm probably not going to do it.  I know the loot I get now with 600 luck sucks.  It's good for unraveling and maybe getting a few relic fragments.  But at least today with a 600 luck suit, I get SoAs and I get more maps and I get recipe scrolls and I get MIBs.   Those are things I care about today and are the reason I go treasure hunting with my crummy little treasure hunter.  However, from what Kyronix has said and from what I've seen with completing almost 200 treasure chests on Test Center, I will hardly ever get  SoAs or recipe scrolls or maps unless I apparently engage in suit-switching and somehow put together a high-luck suit.

Yeah, I get that you probably don't care about SoAs and recipe scrolls and maps.  They're penny ante stuff and if you have enough gold in UO, you let someone else do the grind and waste their time getting that stuff and you transfer back and forth to Atlantic and buy it with gold.  I'm not made that like that, however.  I enjoy getting those things for myself within a reasonable amount of time and without having to pay extra beyond my subscription fees to do so. I haven't played long enough to have shard shields.  I don't have lots of gold, even on Atlantic.   If I have to suddenly have a high luck suit to get SoAs and recipe scrolls and maps from treasure chests, then I'm disappointed and I don't see it as progress or an upgrade.

That's my story.  I don't want to have to suit-swap to be able to do what I currently do now and find enjoyable now.  I'm sorry if you think I'm pathetic and shouldn't be playing UO because I'm not willing to spend extra dollars on it.
    Let's not bash someone who has done so much testing for us all! @Margrette pays her sub the same as the rest of us and that entitles her to an opinion on here, her feedback and work on the test centre is much appreciated by some of us! 
    I've never found luck to be of that much use, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work the way they think, if at all. Of course my opinion doesn't matter either....
    I will say I'm a little disappointed that MiBs are no longer in chests, as that is actually probably my main source for them. They seem to spawn so infrequently for me from nets or hooks. Some days it feels like I can toss 20-30 nets or hooks for maybe 3-4 MiBs if I'm lucky.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Not sure how long I'll keep following this.  Not sure how it will all turn out, but I do think I see where we are headed.

No chance for good loot right now.  But it was said the loot bump was coming, and also said that we were gonna have to deal with RT in the future.  I have this gut wrenching feeling that this will boil down to old school gets the loot you see now, and if youo want the upgraded loot you will have to use RT.

So I will go ahead and risk doing my maps now, as I have absolutely 000.00 to the 3rd power intentions of training RT.

G'luck, my friends
    No need for self pity drama. 

Take them to TC and show what you dig up. Then give feedback.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

Your well researched feedback matters greatly.  You shouldn’t think otherwise.
    @Kyronix

I've been doing stash chests all afternoon... and I've seen a range in gold anywhere from ~11k up to occasionally ~34k. Is it supposed to go that high? On average is seems to be mostly around 12-15k for me, with just the occasional that jumps to twice that.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Pawain said:
    Not sure how long I'll keep following this.  Not sure how it will all turn out, but I do think I see where we are headed.

No chance for good loot right now.  But it was said the loot bump was coming, and also said that we were gonna have to deal with RT in the future.  I have this gut wrenching feeling that this will boil down to old school gets the loot you see now, and if youo want the upgraded loot you will have to use RT.

So I will go ahead and risk doing my maps now, as I have absolutely 000.00 to the 3rd power intentions of training RT.

G'luck, my friends
    No need for self pity drama. 

Take them to TC and show what you dig up. Then give feedback.

It's been feedbacked to death. lol.  I'll do my stash now, and later do what I get during the normal course of gameplay.

If the people running the show can't figure out what is good loot, then we have more problems than just having to have RT
  • ZamotZamot Posts: 55
    Kyronix said:
    Margrette said:
    @ Kyronix, why do we have to have chest quality if luck is eventually going to be part of this?  I just dug up two rusty horde chests and the loot is awful.   Really, really awful.  If we have no control over the chest quality and then luck, or lack of luck, is going to be part of this, why are we even going to bother digging up chests?  It takes me a bit of time to kill the spawn on a horde chest and the loot just isn't worth the time.  There's absolutely nothing in the chest but gold, gems, and useless loot that probably doesn't even unravel to relic fragments.  It's a waste of my playing time to go dig these up.
    Chest quality is a benefit of your cartography skill.  In an abstract sense, if I have buried my most prized possessions and hidden them in a chest, only the most learned of cartographers are going to be able to discern my map and find the most valuable chest that I've hidden away.

This also allows for new items that are coming *spoiler alert* that will give minor boosts to cartography skill that will increase your chances of having a better quality chest.

As for luck, it has a precedent in determining budget that is used to generate magic equipment.  We would logically expand that into the magic equipment generation here, which is what we plan to do.

Based on the results posted on here most of your valuable stuff has been hidden elsewhere, because it is not in the chests being dug up.  I know it is being checked and tested and could change.  But this is where I get lost in your above statement.  If I have 100 cartography why would I see anything but a metal chest or a gold chest.  I should never see the lowest chest.  At 100 skill I would expect to see the mid range chest. If my skill is lower I would expect to see the rusty with a chance at metal.  I would not expect to see a gold unless I was above 100 with the items.  And since you brought up the Items and mentioned that the Tallisman bonus was not going to help in this area, does that mean Cartography is getting a scroll. Which will use more skill points for this?

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Zamot said:

Based on the results posted on here most of your valuable stuff has been hidden elsewhere, because it is not in the chests being dug up.  

Zing

LOL  good one, that was good.
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    Whessles said:
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    Margrette said:
    Tanager said:

I have 2300 luck on my mapper and have spent 0 dollars real money. You can get metal of artifacts for about 40m (give or take the market fluctuations). Since I have been back in the game only 6 months I have no reason to assume this amount of gold is unattainable by the general population. 

Plus the luck Stattue give you a boost. The older the account the more luck you get after clicking it.
This discussion has been closed.