can we get an age of shadows inspired legacy server?

2»

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 796
    edited April 2019
    Just want to make a side point and I'm NOT speaking for Broadsword. A number of people have been complaining about negative and dismissive comments on the idea. This is a public comment board if you wish to make a suggestion to the powers that be with out giving others the chance to shoot it down the developers are very free with their email address. 

Posting here is for discussion and you will have people tell you just how bad you idea is. And in my opinion this is one that is not going to happen for the many reasons listed by other posters. 

(edit add)  I can't think of any reason other then some one paying full cost ++ that they would even consider adding an other shard. The business case for it just isn't there. May bring players back with out marketing proof just doesn't cut it.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 240
    Not that it matters but I would gladly support a legacy server, i think it would be quite popular on it's own however it could be a second chance to revisit the endless journey and really loosen up the limitations on it at least on the legacy server changes to endless journey are not required but I wouldn't mind giving endless journey an actual chance to see if it can succeed. I always felt that the EJ was set up to fail from the start especially with its pitiful rollout and weird restrictions.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    There would be no EJ because it did not exist back then.
  • ToiMasheenToiMasheen Posts: 15
    edited April 2019
    Uo was a game i loved. Ive tried coming back multiple times, and each time its further and further away from what i loved. Not to mention its impossible to compete pvp without grinding for months to even think about gear that top tier pvp guilds use. Id bring my account active again for a reverted ruleset in a heartbeat. Good luck those pushing for you, seems like the trolls who got neon everything have finally turned this game into their own and only their own.
    Uo was a game i loved. Ive tried coming back multiple times, and each time its further and further away from what i loved. Not to mention its impossible to compete pvp without grinding for months to even think about gear that top tier pvp guilds use. Id bring my account active again for a reverted ruleset in a heartbeat. Good luck those pushing for you, seems like the trolls who got neon everything have finally turned this game into their own and only their own.
    Your account is already active or you could not post here but good try with that.  Try SP for real PvP and if you want real PvP on the prodo shards then why do you want to keep UO item based, you do understand that AoS was the beginning of item dependency,wouldn't you want a pre AoS type shard.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,046

Truth is exposed. You want everyone to have the same gear as you even tho you have not played as long.

Try Siege. Or join a guild and maybe they will give you items since you dont want to play the game.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PureLifePureLife Posts: 54
    Pawain said:

Truth is exposed. You want everyone to have the same gear as you even tho you have not played as long.

Try Siege. Or join a guild and maybe they will give you items since you dont want to play the game.
    I see it like this. It's not about anyone else having better gear then me it's the fact that their gear allows them to have 820 skill point templates while I am running 720. There is no balance in that and I have said it in the past on these very forums that skill point increase needs to have a cap in someway like every other mod in the game. If players just had actual stat bonuses it wouldn't even be an issue a few extra mana regen  / stats or damage eaters those are no big deal to overcome but giving anyone an Entire skill over another is broken  Especially in a meta that if you do not have evasion your first target and usually dead in seconds. Please enlighten me how it is encouraging for a fresh new player to go up against the best in the game not only with lack of game knowledge but at a template disadvantage lol? Like you don't even PvP so you don't even understand the significance of it.

as for siege ...... it just magnify's the problem lol any group that can afford to use high end gear will roll over those that can't. Then what they just lose their mediocre items and have to go farm more still being at a distinct disadvantage? Siege Perilous and 'real' PvP should never go hand in hand that shard by definition is who can grind more and stock pile the best stuff and while trying to stockpile your just increasing the stash of those who are already established there....... no thanks hard pass from me I don't care to admit that in a game built around itemization I require insurance to play.
  • WheelerWheeler Posts: 5
    Bilbo said:
    There would be no EJ because it did not exist back then.
    Hey man I appreciate the fact your just trying to be a smart aleck but I already addressed what you are implying with EJ and the EC in the opening line of the discussion hopefully you read at least that far before jumping into a discussion. You were the best PvPer ever before AoS thats cool man.

The reason I suggested Age of Shadows is because I am aware the dev team is small in numbers and going further (before AOS) would indeed be a monumental task. Most major game mechanics and systems in game today are the exact same as they were back in 2003. Like I said originally there are definitely some major changes that would need to be changed for a server launch like removal of skills, races, landmass, vvv, taming changes amongst some others. There are some more significant changes that are not crucial to be active at the time of a shards launch like Bulk Order Deeds and Factions maybe a couple more and these are perfect candidates to receive a content update in the future of the shard (doing this breaks up the development cycle and lets the devs spend less time focused on a legacy shard at one time) Then finally you got small tweaks that can be fixed over time like combat related adjustments. Many of the publishes we have got between 2003 and 2019 are completely irrelevant to the immersion of AoS gameplay and as I said before if that's the case then just leave them in the gold changes, virtue updates, huntsman challenge, city elections with no trade deals, magincia bazaar anything really that doesn't affect the combat or player power have no impact on anyone. If something had been added to the game that fits that criteria it's fine to leave in even if a good system was implemented like clean-up britannia it can be left in with the rewards altered if thats easier then completely removing it.

This is all about compromise people would like the option to play the game again in a more basic and engaging state which Age of Shadows does offer. The combat was good in AoS and as long as that doesn't change then keep in things that do not impact that experience, I never once suggested we need an exact recreation of Age of Shadows as it was in 2004. All I am suggesting is a server that follows and sticks to the design philosophies that were present in AoS.

I feel like its a misconception around here but you can still be classifed as a legacy ruleset server and still have recent implementations present in game. It's just identifying what actually takes away from the immersion and removing that and keeping what does not.
    edited April 2019
    @PureLife what is stopping you from running more than 720 skill points.  I have a Tamer/Bard that runs 840 skill points and it is all from imbued stuff.  Yes there is a lot of loot that has skill points on them but if you look at them they really do not fit as well as an imbued skill piece because you will never find a loot drop that has everything on it that you are looking for.

What is it that you are looking for?  Try reaching out to the people that live on your shard to go hunting with to see if they will help.

As far as SP goes they do not use all that high end gear because they do not have insurance and really do not want to lose it in a fight.
  • Pawain said:

If you're going for the detective job, i'd reconsider. I have a character on Siege. I have mulitple suited characters, that are probably considered top tier.. Doesn't change that it's ridiculous and the amount of gold Ive had to put into them make it impossible for me to bring people back to play competitively.  Trying to derail my points and make it a envy thing. They say something about assuming...
  • Bilbo said:
    Your account is already active or you could not post here but good try with that.  Try SP for real PvP and if you want real PvP on the prodo shards then why do you want to keep UO item based, you do understand that AoS was the beginning of item dependency,wouldn't you want a pre AoS type shard.

You guys and your detective works. Having an active account this month, and being active are completely separate things. AOS started item based stats, but if you played back then, you had 2-4 casting, maybe 2-6 if you were rich, with either mana regen or lmc as a mage, hardly even possible to do both.  I'd be fine with a pre AOS server, but AOS was a hot time for the game, and I'd be completely happy with even just that.

Siege is real PVP? Funny, every time I logon I cant even find anyone anywhere? Unless you want to fight a few people in a house east of the Luna Moongate out of their house. Anyone who played Siege during it's prime, or any Uo during its prime, would argue that "Siege is the best option for PVP ".

Ive played this game on and off since Renaissance. This is the worst the game has been for pvpers, and I cant believe anyone would support anything other then bringing back an era that housed the most players, and the most fun pvp the game has ever offered.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    PureLife said:
    Pawain said:

I see it like this. It's not about anyone else having better gear then me it's the fact that their gear allows them to have 820 skill point templates while I am running 720. There is no balance in that and I have said it in the past on these very forums that skill point increase needs to have a cap in someway like every other mod in the game. If players just had actual stat bonuses it wouldn't even be an issue a few extra mana regen  / stats or damage eaters those are no big deal to overcome but giving anyone an Entire skill over another is broken  Especially in a meta that if you do not have evasion your first target and usually dead in seconds. Please enlighten me how it is encouraging for a fresh new player to go up against the best in the game not only with lack of game knowledge but at a template disadvantage lol? Like you don't even PvP so you don't even understand the significance of it.

as for siege ...... it just magnify's the problem lol any group that can afford to use high end gear will roll over those that can't. Then what they just lose their mediocre items and have to go farm more still being at a distinct disadvantage? Siege Perilous and 'real' PvP should never go hand in hand that shard by definition is who can grind more and stock pile the best stuff and while trying to stockpile your just increasing the stash of those who are already established there....... no thanks hard pass from me I don't care to admit that in a game built around itemization I require insurance to play.

I see players return and go to Fel with imbued Barbed armor and junk weapons.  They have some fun and you only see them for a few days and they move on.  They must not notice they need leet armor to kill players.  There old skills work just fine.  The memories did not live up to the reality. That version of UO is not fun without sheep.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pre AoS was UOs heyday not AoS or as I call it Age of Shit.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 240
    Bilbo said:
    Pre AoS was UOs heyday not AoS or as I call it Age of Shit.
    Why you still playing UO then lol
  • PureLifePureLife Posts: 54
    Pawain said:
    PureLife said:
    Pawain said:

I see players return and go to Fel with imbued Barbed armor and junk weapons.  They have some fun and you only see them for a few days and they move on.  They must not notice they need leet armor to kill players.  There old skills work just fine.  The memories did not live up to the reality. That version of UO is not fun without sheep.
    I think I am missing something but what are you even talking about? What 'version' of UO is not fun without sheep? Anything you said would be more believable if Lake Superior had an active PvP scene but unfortunately outside of rare encounters you won't get a decent fight anywhere other then Atlantic. But I mean you are notoriously against the concept of PvP in general so anything you say relating to it has to be taken lightly because it's not first hand knowledge.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    I think this thread has reached its limit
This discussion has been closed.