Setting Tinker Traps

So I'm done roaming the world to look for chests I can gain RT on now that I've hit mid 50's skill. Done waiting for chests to respawn at Vesper mint. Or so I'd hoped.

My husband spent time yesterday getting a tinker to a level that can make trapped chests that work with my RT level of skill. I'm given set of said trapped chests. They're optimal according to crystal ball. I RT them all and gain a couple tenths. This morning I bring husband's new tinker in and retrap them all. All is well.  I RT them all again. Gain another .2

I bring tinker back in again and now get a message "You cannot place a trap on that." I go over everything in tinker's pack. Yep it's all there. Got bolts, ingots, boxes are all unlocked, tinker tools at the ready. I try again. Same message. "You cannot place a trap on that"

I wait and try again. I wait and try again. Now I get a couple boxes that trap just fine. The rest keep giving me the cannot place message.

witaf?

I'd almost rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than work RT. Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks!

Comments

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    Are any of the boxes turned in a different direction from the others?  That might make a difference.  Or check to make sure the boxes you can't trap are already trapped.  It seems like you get a more specific message for that but it can't hurt to check and make sure.
    Never mind the above.  Just checked and the direction doesn't seem to matter and you do get a specific message in the tinker gump if you try to place a trap on a box that's already trapped.
    The only thing I can think of is if you are maybe using a UOA macro, it's gotten messed up and is not actually targeting one of the boxes when trying to place a trap.  It's been a long time since I've used UOA, so I'm not sure about that.  I do all of it the tedious click at a time way.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 731
    Nope. Not using a macro. Just the mouse. Checked all boxes repeatedly. They are not all ready trapped and they’re unlocked so I should be able to trap them again. 

I opened the boxes and closed them again. I locked and unlocked them again. Waited for over a half hour. Thought there might be a timer. No clue what the deal is. 

I’m out now but I’ll try again when I get back home. 
    edited March 2019
    Margrette said:
    Are any of the boxes turned in a different direction from the others?  That might make a difference.  Or check to make sure the boxes you can't trap are already trapped.  It seems like you get a more specific message for that but it can't hurt to check and make sure.
    You had it right, Margrette. The boxes that the length was running in a nw to se direction got the "You cannont place a trap" message. The boxes running ne to sw were the ones I could retrap. Of which there were only two.

I've no idea why it wasn't a problem the first round of retrapping.  At any rate, it did become a problem. How odd! Thanks for mentioning it may be the issue. It helped me solve the issue!

Edit: Some of the boxes switch direction when I put them in a container for my rogue to pick back up. So now I gotta mess with the direction of the boxes every time I go to trap them and pass them back and forth? I'm saying lots of bad words that I'm not allowed to type here.
  • LilyGrace said:
    Margrette said:
    You had it right, Margrette. The boxes that the length was running in a nw to se direction got the "You cannont place a trap" message. The boxes running ne to sw were the ones I could retrap. Of which there were only two.

I've no idea why it wasn't a problem the first round of retrapping.  At any rate, it did become a problem. How odd! Thanks for mentioning it may be the issue. It helped me solve the issue!

Edit: Some of the boxes switch direction when I put them in a container for my rogue to pick back up. So now I gotta mess with the direction of the boxes every time I go to trap them and pass them back and forth? I'm saying lots of bad words that I'm not allowed to type here.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Use medium crates. They are square and the direction is irrelevant for the trapping. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Good to know! Thanks VoS!
    Turns out tinker can retrap with pack of lock boxes inside container in the house. Rogue can remove trap with lock boxes in container too. So you don't have to worry about flipping boxes around with the small crates. But now you're stuck in the house. I'll make another set with medium crates.