Weapon+shield (no Bush) warrior

Is there a viable warrior build that does not rely on Bushido in modern day UO? I’m asking because I always liked this style and some shields in the game have very good stats. I mean I know it’s doable but what are the pros and cons do you think?

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Not being able to honor bosses is a pretty big con to me.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    edited March 2018
    Butcher said:
    Is there a viable warrior build that does not rely on Bushido in modern day UO? I’m asking because I always liked this style and some shields in the game have very good stats. I mean I know it’s doable but what are the pros and cons do you think?

The short answer is yes, depending on what "viable" means to you. However, it does take a lot of tweaking, the gear has to be very specific (even to the mob), and a standard sampire is probably still going to do slightly better if you're soloing. (At least, this would be my experience.) 

If you're in a group x-healing, then a lot would change of course.

The character I go adventuring with the most (when I'm actively playing) is a pure paladin. I just don't like the idea of having chivalry and necro/bushido on a character. With this guy's current setup (mid range gear at best), I can solo all of the mini champs, baracoon, most paragons, and have keyed dreadhorn and travesty, but have never bothered to learn to fight them.

With some better gear (and probably a better player at the keyboard) this character feels like it has the potential power to do most or maybe even all of the high end content. The gear would have to be specific to each boss though.

It really comes down to what you mean by viable. Are you looking to solo the roof encounter? Are you out on a dungeon crawl with guildies? Are you just randomly running through the landside whacking whatever comes your way?

Template:

120 Swordsmanship

120 Tactics

120 Anatomy

120 Parry

120 Chivalry

120 Resist

(120 Healing on a soulstone. Switch out resist for healing for x-healing in a group)

There are far more knowledgeable and skilled players out there who run warriors. I'm sure they will have far better input than I, but at least this can get you started.

-Arroth
  • ButcherButcher Posts: 28
    Well, I don’t plan to even try soloing the biggest bosses, but I want to try hunting some decently hard mobs for magic loot, paragons for marties. Maybe some peerless (never tried them). So I’m not trying to be the ultimate killing machine, I just wonder how a build like yours will do compared to my regular sampire build with mediocre equipment.

My thinking behind this was good defense with 120 parry and nice mods on the shield. I can get all the hci I need without lightning strike, it’s not hard these days. Plus getting up to about 1000 luck on a suit without hurting myself too much seems more than achievable and then there’s the Fel bonus. And that’s not taking into account that most of the things I fight fall long before I have the chance to achieve perfection even if I landed every hit.