How do you play?

I'm wondering what set up people use, does anyone change the resolution of their screen to make UO feel proper old school or is that just me?

I cant seem to get to grips playing in 1920x1080 because stuff in my backpack is just too small to grab quickly. I've been playing with 1280x720, sure it looks massive but it feels more comfortable.

1. Am I just being an Old Fart?12 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. Clearly Yes
      75.00%

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited March 2018
    I play in 1920X1080 and scale the UI up so I can see the stuff in my backpack.
    -Arroth
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    I play in 1920X1080 and scale the UI up so I can see the stuff in my backpack.
    I've heard that before but never quite understood, how can you make your backpack bigger?

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    It’s just the EC that scales right ? 
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    Skett said:
    It’s just the EC that scales right ? 
    Yea thought that, sorry should of said I only play CC  :s

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited March 2018

MainMenu>UserSettings>Options>Interface section

UI Scale - .50 to 1.00 

Generic Gump Scale - 1.06 to 1.2

Also, you can change the base background color of the containers if you have trouble seeing the items/icons in the containers.

MainMenu>UserSettings>Containers

Play around with it and make a setup you like!

EDIT: Sorry, I was replying to you already and didn't see your post about CC only. I'll leave this here, in case anyone else can use the info.

-Arroth
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited March 2018
    I don't know how others do it but this is how my screen looks on a 23" monitor. Got enough game window room and a black area to put all my stuff. Pack and everything is large and easy to see. In CC naturally. Imagine this the size of your monitor screen, it's pretty easy to see lol

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 459
    I like your setup Capt, and your bag.  I thought the bag art was only an EC feature. May dive in and try CC some more.
  • SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited March 2018
    Play on a 62" 4k TV, 4096x2160 and the game is rock solid, fluid as mercury, and stunning.  It's comparable in FPS and memory to some other MMO's I play, which surprised me a little.

Here's a pic at just 25% resolution; not ideal as a picture, but here is some comparison. 

I can see everything ok (even though this example seems so small and is not my normal view), except for some text and windows that do not scale well: Animal Lore, Quest Log, NPC logs, Vendor Search.  I hope the Devs will fix this for 4k going forward. 

Changing aspect ratio has no effect except to make the hot-bars change in size a little.

Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    My set-up depends on what character I am on. I only play the CC...Sword you're screen looks too much like Diablo (Remembering the red and blue balls on either side of the screen for health and mana lol) and I don't like anything covering up my game window AT ALL.

My screens are usually a total mess but it's how I've always played..the only difference now is my gameplay window is bigger, SO glad they were finally able to make that happen!!

My tamers window is a bit smaller because she's a mage and has more spells that I need room for. Larisa on the other hand only has Chiv so doesn't need as much black space for her spells so her game play window is bigger.

• Yeah I hate having my play area covered

• PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    I play with two monitors.  I have one set to 1280x720 and the other is an ultrawide that I use for other games or surfing the net/watching Netflix while I play UO.  So I totally do what you do. 

I also only use CC, it ried to hard to get into the EC when I came back... not happening for me.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Please post monitor size / settings and UO settings so others may try your set ups.  TYVM
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited March 2018
    27 inch curved display. I can't get Pincos to run yet, but this works for me for now.

You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    I usually play with a keyboard and a mouse, not sure how you guys get around just using a monitor.  LOLOLOL
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    On my 34" superwide monitor 2560x1080, would be great if you could make the bag contents larger, they are so small!  
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    You can make them larger, you can make almost every gump larger in ec.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Was trying but it isnt working for me. Generic gump scale at 1.06 or 1.2 doesnt change anything.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited March 2018
    Syncros said:
    Was trying but it isnt working for me. Generic gump scale at 1.06 or 1.2 doesnt change anything.

Go into your actions list and drag the "Toggle Scale Mode" action to a hotbar. Click it to enable, then mouse-over the gump you want to increase and scroll wheel up. 
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• GigglesGiggles Posts: 62

This is how I play these days... I go to log in, and either start school work or get distracted with something else lol. Forums help me live vicariously through the rest of you.

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    Old school player... use CC for just about everything. Dual monitor setup on my Alien box... both monitors are wide screen, one is 19", the main monitor is 23" which is my gaming screen. For Kirthag's config, I use Full screen resolution at 1024x768, and the Game Play Window is 1280x720. I'm going blind (ugh) so I do make sure I can see my bag. My CC for Kirthag is set up like this:

My crafter's configuration uses the vanilla settings as I like all the black space to view the crafting gumps. When I'm working on building stuff and decorating, I like to see the gumps.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    This is my setup in EC. UI scale is 85, cuz it's a decent sized monitor so the icons on the hotbar are still clear enough for me to see. Generic Gump Scale is maxed at 1.2 - this affects the Runic Atlas gump, Quest Log gump, etc. I wish they could be larger in relation to UI scale. I used 'toggle scale mode' to make container gumps larger, so I can see the tiny icons inside there. (This does not seem to work when containers are in legacy mode, which I use when stocking vendors.) My text font is quite large so I can read it easier, but it tends to overlap in a room of players and I end up using the journal instead. The large text also makes it easier to grab health bars from all names. Empty space above journal is for friendly health bars, empty space above backpack is for enemy. This is zoomed all the way out, which is handy at times but I usually play closer in. I don't need my character window (paperdoll) often so I just hit C when I do.

ui2.jpg 472.5K
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited March 2018
    Yeah I hate having my play area covered

I see how this is natural in CC, but I always have a hard time grasping that argument. 

Resizing the game window actually makes you see more, not just stretch the bit you see on the smaller play area that was used before ;) Nothing that was on your screen before would be covered after it. You just see more of the world.

Anyway, I get that this is very UO specific. Not once seen another game in the last 10 years that encouraged people to waste screen space as default.

Personally for me it's a lot about immersion. That's why I also can't stand playing not fullscreen, using ICQ and whatnot. But then again with the CC, what choice do people have when you run like 3 external programs besides the client on default. I sometimes feel a bit pity for them there :D
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • I don't use any external programs and really don't have a need for any. I would think having your screen cluttered with everything would hurt the immersion more than anything else would. It would with me.