Constellation Names

I was hoping that maybe you guys (The Team) could do something about this...or maybe keep it from happening..if this is to be a permanent addition to each shard...I really don't want to see this :(

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    edited September 2018
    If there are offensive names that get past the various filters you can contact CS to have them removed.  Beyond that, whatever someone wishes to name their constellation is entirely up to them.  What is it you are wanting to prevent?
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Well Kyronix, it looks like a test shard mess....seriously no thought went into those names...can we have them wiped when the publish goes live and start fresh? Those are horrible :(  I personally find those offensive...what do you think? Maybe it's just me but seriously...I'm sure no one wants to see constellations named Larisa1 Larisa2  Larisa3 etc...just bad taste in my opinion.

• SlissSliss Posts: 282
    To be fair, majority of known stars in the real world are named only with alpha-numerical designations.
    These aren't just stars though, these are constellations....there are 88 known constellations in the world....and they each have a very unique, significant name, mostly from greek mythology...I just want a bit more thought put into something that will be a permanent addition to the game.

What if Richard did that when he named the cities of the world? Instead of Britian and Trinsic and Minoc we'd have Richard1, Richard2, Richard3....oh hey what city are you a citizen of? I hail from Richard9.....seriously :/

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Wait till you see some creative names.  You will wish it was just Trish.

If i get the one with 3 stars in a triangle it will be called Pawains Thong.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Thing is it's not JUST Trish...and one Trish would be fine...not 20! God you people are so unimaginative it's unreal.....for a PERMANENT addition to the game this is just absurd.

I could deal with Pawain's Thong....we have a Mu's Milky Pew..why the heck not??

Just to further demonstrate the absurdity of this whole thing...

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2018

Ok, so you do kind of need unique names to tell the constellations apart. Otherwise, why bother naming them at all?

Kyronix, you have to admit that we don't have 35 "Southern Cross" constellations. That would just be totally confusing.

I can see Pacific's list now...

Boaty McBoatface                              Turd Blossom

Maybe any astronomer who is lazy enough to name two constellations the same thing will find that the next astronomer to discover one of those constellations can rename it, as long as the new name isn't a duplicate?

-Arroth
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    Larisa said:
    Thing is it's not JUST Trish...and one Trish would be fine...not 20! God you people are so unimaginative it's unreal.....for a PERMANENT addition to the game this is just absurd.

I could deal with Pawain's Thong....we have a Mu's Milky Pew..why the heck not??

I am surprised over a different thing. I thought it would be cool to have an installation named "Sliss in Space" or something. I went to TC got a telescope, waited for the night and spent 5 minutes clicking coordinates without hitting a single constellation. At which point I decided that having a constellation named after me is not worth 30 minutes or however long it takes of absolutely mindless clicking. And now I see that some people who spent enough time on this to get 20 or so constellations?? Only to name them with lame names?? Some things I will never understand.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited September 2018
    Gold sink idea.  Let people rename it for a fee and every rename costs 100K or even 1M more than the last rename and lets see how high the costs go LOL
  • Sliss said:
    Larisa said:

I am surprised over a different thing. I thought it would be cool to have an installation named "Sliss in Space" or something. I went to TC got a telescope, waited for the night and spent 5 minutes clicking coordinates without hitting a single constellation. At which point I decided that having a constellation named after me is not worth 30 minutes or however long it takes of absolutely mindless clicking. And now I see that some people who spent enough time on this to get 20 or so constellations?? Only to name them with lame names?? Some things I will never understand.

Hm... some people absolutly need this to show how excellent they be ;) I think the old greek had a word for that : hybris (which was maybe even a good name for a constellation)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• FYI, I am not the Trish that did this.

While we seriously can't police this sort of thing hopefully threads like this will make people think a tad more before they do something like that. My way of thinking is that this is another opportunity for people to show their creativeness.

Egos are interesting eh?
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited September 2018
    For better or for worse, events like this go down in Sosarian history as a little snapshot of each shard's community at that time. The invasions with a statue to say how the shard did, deco contests that show the most creative (or most popular) player at the time, etc. Siege has a wonderful garden in New Magincia from an EM event that, when I see the names on the plants, I am taken back to that time and I smile. Things like this are a kind of "I was there" event, like getting shoes and anniversary cards with your char's name on them.

The publish notes said there are 1,000 constellations to discover. I do hope the majority of them are given names that have some meaning, or are at least amusing. But freedom of creative expression also means the freedom of... well, lack thereof.  However people choose to handle this event, I try not to get too upset or disappointed by people's... erm, creative talent. Years from now, when I look at the final list, I will see names of people who have moved on, are still playing, or who joined UO just in time to get their name carved in the stars.

I plan to have a bit of fun with this event :) 
    Well us here on Origin will always fondly remember Trish1, Trish2, Trish3.....IF I can manage to find any constellations I plan on naming them something wonderful, and I hope that others do as well...this is why I am discouraged by the lack of creativity....I, as you, love to have things to remember people I have known...I have various items with Character Names on them for just that reason...Valentine Bears, repair deeds, furniture items crafted by....things that, if my homes ever  went IDOC, they would end up in the garbage because they don't mean anything to anyone else but me. At least if I DO ever manage to find some constellations I will make sure to leave a lasting impression :)

• It's not so very hard to find good names for constellations :). I for example named my boats from the music album covers of a german band named "Tangerine Dream". The first constellation I found on TC had been named from an music cover album of best Hard Rock Band ever to me - Rainbow - took the song "Gates of Babylon" from the album "Long live Rock'n Roll". I'm really looking for these astronomical items on DF - hope the pub will come soon if Origin is fixed than. 

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• Oh yeah, Larisa?
    *snickers*
    If it was my shard.....
    we would... hunt... down.... Trish....
    >:)
    LOL Amber....well if I could catch her in Fel I would give her what for....Larisa loves shooting people in the back with her arrows ;)

• cobbcobb Posts: 172
    so you want the devs to change the rules just because you don't like the names someone else chose?  :|

Let ppl name them whatever they want as long as its not offensive.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    Maybe next you will want the houses with names you don't like to be deleted from your shard?
  • I pulled some names from one of my all time favorite Sci Fi books, The Foundation Series by Asimov. I felt it was a good way to honor him for all that he's done. And of course I had to put in a couple witchy ones.
    No it's not just me I'm thinking about....each shard has a unique history and unique items..this is our chance to put our mark on something that will be there forever...a little creativity is all I ask...that's really not much.

• Larisa said:
    LOL Amber....well if I could catch her in Fel I would give her what for....Larisa loves shooting people in the back with her arrows ;)
    Please don't shoot me for the ones I added!   :p
  • I don't like repeat, repeat, repeat names. On the other hand I REALLY DO NOT want to see constellations Ben Dover, Phil McGroin, Phil McCracken, and anything name for feminine hygiene products.  :s Its bad enough some people name their characters after those things.  Also don't wanna see Conn Dumb either. :s  BTW, will all the constellation be in the same place on every shard? If so then the we can just beat the the bad taste people to the punch so to speak.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    BTW, will all the constellation be in the same place on every shard? If so then the we can just beat the the bad taste people to the punch so to speak.
    The publish notes say:
    All constellations are shard unique.

I would think a good way to name them would be to say what you see. I know one constellation on Origin is shaped like a sextant, and has been named as such.

• Pawain said:
    Wait till you see some creative names.  You will wish it was just Trish.

If i get the one with 3 stars in a triangle it will be called Pawains Thong.
    We'll want pictures...
    wait... maybe we won't.

Thanks for the laugh. Good one!
  • Looks like the constellation ledgers on Baja, Origin and Izumo will be reset tomorrow.  Wonder what happens to the star charts I already made on Origin.
    • Origin, Baja, and Izumo Only – constellations, their associated coordinates, and the constellation ledger have been reset for WW release.  Players who submitted constellations will be able keep to the rewards they received.
    We'll probably get to keep the charts, I am glad and not glad about this at the same time because we have some nice names up there....I'm going to have to hunt Trish down though ;) lol

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited September 2018
    @Kyronix
    am I correct that even if you find a constellation and name it, it doesn't record it until you turn it in ? Or do you get credit as soon as you rename it ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    edited September 2018
    @ Kyronix
    am I correct that even if you find a constellation and name it, it doesn't record it until you turn it in ? Or do you get credit as soon as you rename it ?

Yes. you are correct.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Good to know, thank you for the incredibly fast reply.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • They probably should've put a limit of five on it per char/account for the first few months.  This way everyone could participate before someone goes and does 50%+ of them solo.  Then like 3-6 months later if all of them weren't found yet, open it up to everyone to do more.  But hey common sense things aren't usually found in UO. :D