A Discussion about the state of the Classic Client in 2024

2»

Comments

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 242
    The graphics are trash, everything looks stupid, the big hotbar boxes with tiny UO item sprites in them look ridiculous, the menus are hard to read, the chat is bad, overhead text is bad and can't be highlighted or clicked on, the entire thing is an embarrassing pile of crap. Again, the devs don't even post promo videos using it.
  • sibblesibble Posts: 174
    edited August 13
    The graphics are trash, everything looks stupid, the big hotbar boxes with tiny UO item sprites in them look ridiculous, the menus are hard to read, the chat is bad, overhead text is bad and can't be highlighted or clicked on, the entire thing is an embarrassing pile of crap. Again, the devs don't even post promo videos using it.

1.  Graphics look 99% the same
    2.  I can't debate something looking stupid as I'm unsure what stupid looks like
    3.  Don't need any hotbars to play EC you can make a macro for everything.
    4.  Bags and the items within are scalable, if you bothered to look at the settings
    5.  I would argue that CC options are harder to read - we can do a screenshot comparison if you like
    6.  Chat is completely customizable in Pincos
    7.  Overhead text is completely customizable in Pincos
    8.  Overhead chat can't be clicked on?  Guess you got me there bud, throw it in the garbage...

The team was asked at a meet and greet roughly 8 years ago what the CC to EC usage looked like and they responded with 50/50

"everything looks stupid" UO feedback 2024
    sibble said:

1.  Graphics look 99% the same
    Sure they do, buddy. That client is a failed pile of garbage, even with Pinco's it looks like crap. The graphics are bad, the hotbars are so bad even the EC fanboy says you should just macro everything, and even something basic like the overhead chat is measurably worse. It's so bad that even when the developers make promo videos for their first new production in almost ten years, they use the nearly thirty year old choppy broken-down classic client. But hey maybe if you stan hard enough for it everyone will decide actually they like it.

Anyway the people who make the actual good clients have mostly defeated the dev team's attempts to keep them from working at this point. They're going to have to either pull the trigger and ban half their users, or quietly forget their little "war" ever existed.
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    edited August 14
    sibble said:

One is ugly, the other is not.

LOL RLY
    as I said screenshot wise i don't see any problem.. those ANIMATION looks goofy as your post does after my detailed explanations after your trees comment.

sibble said:

2.  I can't debate something looking stupid as I'm unsure what stupid looks like
    Ah, nevermind, I apologize.. have a good one!
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
  • KelKel Posts: 35

Some people just want to argue with others solely because their opinions differ from their own and that in itself is unfathomable. Adding this quote to your forum signature may also allude to the fact that you're not trying to have a constructive conversation here.

Finding something visually appealing or enjoyable is completely subjective and you're approaching it as if it's objective. I'll leave it at that.

As KroDuK said, have a good one!
  • sibblesibble Posts: 174
    edited August 14
    Is it unreasonable to think that debating something "looking stupid" is stupid itself?

I posted 1-8 which are facts - anyone wants to debate them I'm up for it.

KroDuK said:
    sibble said:

One is ugly, the other is not.

LOL RLY
    as I said screenshot wise i don't see any problem.. those ANIMATION looks goofy as your post does after my detailed explanations after your trees comment.

We can compare animations I'm up for recording that - to follow later this evening.

Kel said:

Some people just want to argue with others solely because their opinions differ from their own and that in itself is unfathomable. Adding this quote to your forum signature may also allude to the fact that you're not trying to have a constructive conversation here.

Finding something visually appealing or enjoyable is completely subjective and you're approaching it as if it's objective. I'll leave it at that.

As KroDuK said, have a good one!

I asked for real reasons why people dislike what EC looks like and the feedback was "everything looks stupid" - if someone can't articulate why they dislike something that's both not my problem and impossible to debate.

"the hotbars are so bad even the EC fanboy says you should just macro everything" - @Kel how is this constructive criticism?  What is bad about the hotbars?  This feedback is pathetic and only alludes to @Lord_Nythrax being a CC fanboy.

Yea I added it to my signature because it's gotta be top 10 for dumbest comments I've seen on the forum.

edited August 14
    sibble said:

This feedback is pathetic and only alludes to @ Lord_Nythrax being a CC fanboy.

LOL.

LMAO, even.

I'm not a "CC fanboy" buddy, the CC is an embarrassing neglected pile of crap. I spend most of my forum time these days complaining about what a choppy low-rez mess the CC is. What, you think this is still 2007 or something, that everyone is still arguing over whether to use Kingdom Reborn or not? There ARE no worthwhile official UO clients.

I don't even think about the existence of the EC until someone comes along and tries to suggest that dysfunctional trainwreck as a viable choice. Like oh my god, the animations don't even line up with creature movement in that client, everyone and everything does little "Fred Flintstone breaking into a sprint" footy shuffles repeatedly as they scoot around the map. The developers don't even use it when they have something new to show the public because they know it looks ridiculous, and you're here acting like we "must not have used it" or else we'd be won over by it?

LMAO. ROFL. Trust me, they don't need "feedback" on this particular point. They know everything looks stupid, or they wouldn't show off their new shard using a broken-down client from the late nineties.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    I am deeply concerned that this development team is not taking the community's feedback seriously. For a considerable time, we have been requesting enhancements for the classic game, particularly an updated client with a higher resolution and improved frame rates. For the longest time we gave up and used 3rd party clients for the modern resolutions.

Well, this situation reached a critical point when Broadsword decided to ban all third-party clients as we all know.

In response, the community has been imploring the developers for an updated CC client that meets modern standards, especially for resolution and frame rates.

Instead of addressing any of these concerns, Broadsword released this video: 

https://youtu.be/O3XExTaqOe8?si=Al853b6TGzZO9re5

Honestly, is this some kind of off-season April Fools' joke?

It is perplexing and frustrating that the developers appear to be ignoring the community’s earnest requests for client updates. I want this to be a constructive discussion that yields serious responses from the developers about the lack of updates to the CC client. The majority of the community, as seen in various Discord channels, the UO Reddit community, all the comments on the YouTube video and people here on these forums, are asking for this.

Could we please receive an official word from the devs regarding the state of the CC and if there are plans to update the client? If not, then why?

I think it’s only fair that we get some kind of word from Broadsword. 

We've heard your feedback and will share any future developments with you.  Thanks again!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,633
    McDougle said:
    Why the developers refuse to communicate 

They do, you just refuse to acknowledge it.  Read your signature.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    And with that I think we now await 'future developments' Thank you for the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.