Some pet fairness - there needs to be a way to reset Crafter's old pets.

BasaraBasara Posts: 163
Many of us are sentimental about our beetles (giant and fire), and if we didn't release and retame them, they are now permanently stuck at 3 slots because of the changes to the Taming system to stop an exploit. 

We don't want a new bug - we don't look at them as disposable equipment. Could you figure out a way to let us reset 3 slot, never improved (whether they started training or not) giant beetles and Fire Beetles to being 1-slot beetles with base beetle stats?

And, one of the LONG-standing issues with giant beetles is their becoming fatigued when carrying more than a quarter-capacity load and being ridden. This is something at goes away from tamer trained beetles (presumably from increasing the strength), but should be an issue at all in this day and age?

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    YES YES YES YES Did I say YES
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Firstly, this is not a bug but a change request.

Secondly. What are you talking about? You can just tame a new pet and name it what you called it before. It’s the same thing. Each time you stable a pet, it is deleted and a new one appears with the same stats when you claim it. It’s not the same beetle, it’s not real, it’s just numbers. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    Firstly, this is not a bug but a change request.

Secondly. What are you talking about? You can just tame a new pet and name it what you called it before. It’s the same thing. Each time you stable a pet, it is deleted and a new one appears with the same stats when you claim it. It’s not the same beetle, it’s not real, it’s just numbers. 
    LMAO  our pets are bounded and please tell me what crafter tamed a pet.  Sometimes you amaze me, like this request would kill the game to maybe give crafters some love.
    edited August 2018
    My issue with it, is that the OP is requesting the devs change something rather than the OP just taming a new pet and naming it what it was before. If I was on Lake Austin i’d happily give the OP a new fire/giant beetle to resolve their issue.

i personally would slay the old pet in front of the OP, however the OP could “loan” the pet to a friend who would take it to bovine university and when the friend gives the pet back, it will magically have 1 slot. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• can't you just release and retame? I seem to remember retaming works with 0 skill if it was your pet in the first place.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited August 2018
    can't you just release and retame? I seem to remember retaming works with 0 skill if it was your pet in the first place.
    This won't work. I have a copy of my warrior on test center, the original Petra Fyde. Her beetle was tamed way back when they were first introduced in game. I just now tried this with the test center copy. She can release and retame it, but it remains at 3 slots.  Only by starting training can you reduce it to 1, and then you're going to get the training messages any time it tries to fight anything.

Unless Mervyn is right and simply transferring it will work. I'll try that next.

Mervyn is Not correct. Transferring the pet has no effect on its slot requirement.
  • LargeLarge Posts: 14
    Being a smithy My fire beetle at three slots is a major problem. with no fighting stats if i want to go fel to mine i can no longer hire enough fighters for protection. also if your fire beetle is getting fatigued remember it needs chicken everyday.

Mervyn is Not correct. Transferring the pet has no effect on its slot requirement.
    Haha, Learn to read between the lines.

*wink wink* you know like when your hamster after 5 years changed colour and your parents said they do that every 5 years.

Petra if you really require more info on how to fix your friend’s pet for them, please PM me. 

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    No thanks. I'm not comfortable with lies and deceit - neither were my parents, my pets died, they didn't magically change colour. Maybe a friend wouldn't know the pet they got back wasn't the same one, but I would. I have this really old fashioned thing called a conscience.
    You go girl.
    edited August 2018
    It’s called a white lie, and it will definitely fix the problem. Who is hurt? 

Like i said, it’s just numbers, every time you change server or stable the pet it’s “replaced” by a new one 

• BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    Mervyn, given that months ago you swore on Stratics that you were leaving UO and not coming back - and have kept posting here and there, you're one to talk about deceit and making excuses for it. you're not capable of "white" lies.
    Basara said:
    Mervyn, given that months ago you swore on Stratics that you were leaving UO and not coming back - and have kept posting here and there, you're one to talk about deceit and making excuses for it. you're not capable of "white" lies.
    Sorry you’ve got me mixed up with someone else. 

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    My crafter had a 3 slot beetle and a 3 slot fire beetle. I released them and tamed with my tamer and trained them all up to GM skills. They are both now one slot each. 
    DJAd said:
    My crafter had a 3 slot beetle and a 3 slot fire beetle. I released them and tamed with my tamer and trained them all up to GM skills. They are both now one slot each. 
    But can your crafters still own them now.
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    The issue is that they don't drop to 1-slot pets from release and retame anymore, as a result of the changes to stop exploiting of the pets. After release and retame, you can still train them to max GM the old way, without doing the "Advanced Training" thing.

What we're really asking is for a way to revert pets that start with STOCK (all are the same, when spawned) stats, that have had their base control slots radically altered (3 to 1), have a way to get the benefits of the change, even if it means having the skills reset. It could even be set up someplace like the vet across from the bridge to Blackthorn's castle, as a non-obtrusive "gate" like those on Test Center.

GETTING the pets is the real bottleneck (especially the fire beetle - the last attempt to replace a stuck-at-3-slot Fire Beetle resulted in a half-dozen deaths, in a group of 3 fully trained tamers and a sampire, from all the surrounding spawn - BECAUSE LURING CREATURES TO MAKE THE AREA SAFER IS, AFTER ALL, ILLEGAL).
    Then, not being able to use the replacement pets without a RMT (pet bonding potion from the store) or having to leave it unused for a week, can mean loss in-game of tens of millions of gold in income for the rule-abiding player. Not fun for a typical player, with 6-7 characters - definitely not fun for a Siege resource gatherer/vendor or crafter who collects their own.
    I'm sure most of us in this situation are willing to do whatever training it takes to get a pet back to GM if we want - it's that the hard-to-get pet (for a crafter/resource gatherer) can't be trained safely when not bonded (hence why "just replace it" is by definition NOT an option), and it can't really be used for most crafter-related stuff in the wilderness while unbonded either, as even ettins and ogres can get lucky and kill a beetle. God forbid you are mining in Ilshenar and get a paragon elemental. (My 120 Macer miner and his 3 pack animals all died at the hands of a paragon valorite the other night)
    Bilbo said:

Yeah. I didn't do the advanced training with them. Just 100 in every natural skill so they can still be used by a character without taming.

Basara said:
    The issue is that they don't drop to 1-slot pets from release and retame anymore, as a result of the changes to stop exploiting of the pets. After release and retame, you can still train them to max GM the old way, without doing the "Advanced Training" thing.
    Oh that sucks. I released and retamed mine soon after they made them into 1 slot pets. I didn't realise it didn't work anymore.
    edited August 2018
    Even at 0 taming and lore, you get at least 2 stable spots, I don’t see why you can’t just stable a new pet for a week and continue using the old 3 slot until the new 1 slot bonds.

DJAd said:
    Bilbo said:

Yeah. I didn't do the advanced training with them. Just 100 in every natural skill so they can still be used by a character without taming.
    TYVM