mana cap

so the unofficial official mana cap is 251? 
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited November 2021
    "I was discussing this with Pinco earlier in the week,

It seems at some early point the devs placed in an arbitrary cap on some mods EG spell damage at 250, even though it was not possible to reach these caps and they probably never thought they would be reached, so they were never necessary to be publshed, it's only with power creep over a long time that these hidden caps are now being hit.
    Probably with as much news to the current devs as it is to us"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited November 2021
    I think the game should make power creep part of a natural part of game progression instead of a concern or something to add a limit "for now" and chuck aside.

Has anyone played Assassins Creed or Skyrim, or some other games where each type of encounter or event is catered to particular character level? 

We don't have levels in uo character but we can have areas with certain advantage for specific character types. 

We are going to expect better arties every year, so the only way to stop power creep is stop new artifacts. Then what is the solution to "power creep", is it decors only? 

Just sharing some thoughts.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    I agree with you @Seth. If there isn't new progress of usable items to advance our characters then things become stale rather quickly for players with the high end toons. That said, if things become too easy and we walk around in God mode and kill everything like it's a mongbat, things also become stale. I believe the whole premise of UO (and reason it has lasted so long) is due to the balance in advancements of monsters and gear. 

"Power creep" is also a bit subjective because you could give individual items to someone who doesn't know what they are doing and they would still struggle. Even with skilled players there are some things they might struggle with (or aren't a layup), as we have seen with the whole sampire where they have kind of been nullified by paragon balrons. These things have most of the people that post here mad that it's so hard to kill (or take so long to kill). So I wouldn't say the power creep is as egregious as some might try to say. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I think people complain about the time it takes because if you've eaten a potion time is money...in fact it's the only thing I've seen that keeps going even when you're dead..

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited November 2021
    keven2002 said:
    I agree with you @ Seth. If there isn't new progress of usable items to advance our characters then things become stale rather quickly for players with the high end toons. That said, if things become too easy and we walk around in God mode and kill everything like it's a mongbat, things also become stale. I believe the whole premise of UO (and reason it has lasted so long) is due to the balance in advancements of monsters and gear. 

"Power creep" is also a bit subjective because you could give individual items to someone who doesn't know what they are doing and they would still struggle. Even with skilled players there are some things they might struggle with (or aren't a layup), as we have seen with the whole sampire where they have kind of been nullified by paragon balrons. These things have most of the people that post here mad that it's so hard to kill (or take so long to kill). So I wouldn't say the power creep is as egregious as some might try to say. 

Yup, by the looks of the new champ boss, EM event and paragons, I think they are challenging even when we are equipped with the best equipment. Recently my warrior is dying from paragon hell hounds and wisps because they can dish out 40 HP damage vs my refined armor with all 75 and 80 resist.It is easy to spot a Balron but we often overlook the little ones hidden in the crowd.

I think the mana cap, if any, should be removed. In the past, we hear about balancing issues, but I think "power creep" was mentioned recently.

20 years ago, the friend who introduced the game to me was so proud he killed the bear all by himself. Maybe "no power creep" mean we should still struggle to kill a bear or a lich today.

Then I prefer to move on to games that have advancement by experience levels. It is always progressing forward, and not looking back to NLS. I think all the popular games go by levels: Assasins' creed, Everquest, Dragonage, WOW, Skyrim.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Yes, please remove these caps, as players would still have far less stamina/mana/etc than monsters or pets.

Please remove it for all the stats, stamina, mana, etc.

Looking forward to reaching 270+ stamina and mana someday!

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Yes, please remove these caps, as players would still have far less stamina/mana/etc than monsters or pets.

Please remove it for all the stats, stamina, mana, etc.

Looking forward to reaching 270+ stamina and mana someday!

There is no incentive to grind if we can't improve our suits farther..