Mysterious cube drop rate

PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
edited October 2020 in Bugs
On Lake Superior:

I got 2 on our first spawn.  Since then I have received none. I have run 3 accounts thru to get the Talisman so I have used at least 5 different toons trying to get cubes.

I've done 10 spawns since.  Just did 1 with just me and another player, we made it to the evil mages before others came.  Neither of us got a cube.

Is is supposed to be rare?
Can you get one after you have received the Talisman?

Some players have received none and have participated in many spawns.

@Kyronix @Bleak @Misk

Kinda frustrating not to get these shard bound deco objects.  Most players on LS have stopped doing the spawn since they got their talisman and have done multiple spawns with no Participation reward.
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I got on this morning and was doing the spawn on Sonoma,
     to see if the mysterious cube would be a drop.

My pet kiled a Vile mage right next to the alter
    and i got a message that I could not receive another.
    and not even 10 seconds later Batlin appeared.

• We've gathered data from players (didn't keep track of how many, sorry) across three shards.

Not a single person we've spoken to has gotten any cubes at all after getting the talisman.

Therefore a likely hypothesis is that they accidentally closed access to both rewards once you get the talisman (possibly either!).

This cannot possibly be intended, please fix it.  Those cubes seem really cool.

This post will be put in both seemingly-relevant threads.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    This could be as intended,
    Mysterious cubes given to those who genuinly killed the spawn at the begging of the champ, not just people farming them afterwards to get the drop.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Mervyn said:
    This could be as intended,
    Mysterious cubes given to those who genuinly killed the spawn at the begging of the champ, not just people farming them afterwards to get the drop.

If you would read instead of recklessly speculate. You would see that i said two of  us started the spawn and ran until the last stage and no cubes were dropped.

If you want to make a useful post, tell us how many spawns you have participated in and how many cubes you have. From your input, you are the one that waits until the boss comes out to participate. 

Why would players who already have a talisman come when the boss enters and not do the spawn?
    edited October 2020
    I said "could"
    the cube is not a participation drop.
    I turned up and hit the boss and received a talisman after being there for 15 seconds.

I do not beleive i should be entitled to now receive a rare cube for returning and killing the spawn, When i did not help earlier. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited October 2020
    Mervyn said:
    I said "could"
    I turned up and hit the boss and received a talisman after being there for 15 seconds.

I do not beleive i should be entitled to now receive a rare cube for returning and killing the spawn, When i did not help earlier. 
    Then why are you commenting on the cube drop.  Sorry but it is a Participation drop. Players have gotten it during the spawn, not at the end. You need to remove that parrot.  There are no other known drops.  You should play more and make up stuff less.  The Talisman can only be received 1 time per account per shard, it is the final reward drop.

The Black Gate Champ spawn is now live!  You can participate in The Black Gate Champ Spawn by visiting Fire Island and doing battle against the vile evil the Black Gate has unleashed upon Britannia!  Final reward drops from the Black Gate Champ Spawn are limited to one per account.  Participation rewards are unlimited.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2020
    Mervyn said:
    I said "could"

Mervyn, the patch notes specifically mention two rewards:
    1. "Final reward drops from the Black Gate Champ Spawn are limited to one per account." You don't think the talisman, which is limited to 1 per account per shard, from the champion, the final part of the champ spawn, is the "final reward drop"?

2. "Participation rewards are unlimited." We only know of 2 rewards from this spawn, the Talisman and the cube. If the "cube" isn't the participation reward, what do you think is oh wise one?
    -Arroth
  • I did the champ spawn the very first time it became live on Chessy. During the ensuing chaos ie fighting the spawn prior to boss a blue mysterious cube dropped in my bag. I finished the boss and also received the talisman. The cube makes an eery laughing sound when locked down and you click on it. It does not make noise just walking by as you have to actually click on it. I have done the spawn several times and have not gotten another.

edited October 2020
    my mistake, i misread, i thought i read somewhere that the cubes were rare drops.

I got confused because the talisman is also a participation award. (pretty much guaranteed drop)

• Mervyn said:
    my mistake, i misread, i thought i read somewhere that the cubes were rare drops
    That may yet be correct, as the cubes are rare indeed!
    -Arroth
    Well they are now :P

• *sighs*  This is how we know that the Cube was more-likely intended to be the "participation reward," and the talisman to be the "final reward drop."

Here is the statement from UO.com;

[[Final reward drops from the Black Gate Champ Spawn are limited to one per account.  Participation rewards are unlimited.]]

And what message do you get from the boss when it drops, if you've already gotten the talisman?  Something to the effect of "you have already received a reward."

Sure they might cover up for their goof and tell us whatever they wish to.  But the initial intent is actually pretty clear.

The fact that popular folks here are upset that too many people got the talisman does not change the known facts.  Nor, ultimately, will whatever retconning they may do later on.

I would continue to urge the team to fix what is plainly a bug.

• jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    At Broadsword we believe in quality in our games. We spend the time and resources to ensure our products are polished, tested, iterated, and smoothly launched.

Well...there goes that!
    edited October 2020
    Just email me a "thanks for participating"
    not fussed about the cube pixels, text is fine.

edited October 2020
    @misk @bleak @Kyronix ; Can we get this fixed or confirmation that I have 2 of the most rare items in UO history because nobody on LS has gotten one since the first day.  Very few got one on the initial spawn.

We will be busy doing Deceit soon.  Thanks
    edited October 2020
    Players already think they are rare:

Did he get a good deal?  Or will they be common?
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2020
    Got a cube on both of my subscribed accounts after the hotfix was deployed, so the fix seems to be working. 
    -Arroth
  • SytySyty Posts: 12
    On GL we just did a spawn and 5 or 6 of us got them.
    Yup thanks working just fine.  Someone got an easy 100M last night. I shoulda sold mine.