Placed Houses in Dungeons

Comments

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Posted on September 23, 2022 by Mesanna

Greetings Everyone,

It has come to our attention that houses have been placed in the copy of Castle Blackthron dungeon.  We are giving you 48 hours to remove your house or it will be deleted.  The houses on Atlantic were deleted because they were empty.  If you place there you will lose your house.

Thank you and we hope to see you on Origin tomorrow, faire starts at 3 pm ET.

Mesanna

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    There is a copy of Castle Blackthorn's dungeon? Where is the copy located?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    TimSt said:
    Misleading text.  They are in Blackthorns Dungeon.  Unless that is copied from an old Ultima game there is just 1.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Original in Fel, copy in Tram?

How the heck did anyone even find out that was possible! It would never occur to me to try to place a house in a dungeon.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2022
    "Are they going to delete the houses in Underworld dungeon too please

Surely if you see a house placed in Underword and stays there for years it's okay to place in other dungeon no?

one rule for thee.."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Yoshi said:

Surely if you see a house placed in Underword and stays there for years it's okay to place in other dungeon no?

one rule for thee.."
    Yoshi it's never the developers fault always the players 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:

one rule for thee.."
    Show a pic of an underworld house that is not an exploit.  Then page on it, then write an email to Mesanna.

The 2 houses were from a contest, otherwise they need to go also.
    "then they can turn this Blackthorn house into a contest no?
    Why are they treating underworld houses special?"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "then they can turn this Blackthorn house into a contest no?
    Why are they treating underworld houses special?"
    A contest someone already won?  :D

Fine make some housing in BT and put up a lottery stone.  I wont enter so yall have a - 50 account better chance.
    edited September 2022
    TimSt said:
    I am wrong.  These houses were placed in an EM version of Blackthorns dungeon, not the one accessible right now.

Only players that went to an event and marked a rune there can access it.  They can mark runes when they are there.
    I should go try to place a house in that dang valley our EMs always send us to for the Boss fight.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    edited September 2022

There is no problem with the Underworld houses from the contest years ago.  You are comparing apples and oranges to say those legally placed Underworld houses are the same as the Blackthorn's houses recently placed.  A veteran player should be able to decipher the difference in the two situations. 

The Developers took the right path of immediately putting out a public notice and giving the offending parties 48 hours to remove their houses and any of their stuff before action is taken to remove/delete.

Never the less, a bit funny this happened.  One of the many silly quirks about this UO World of ours that these types of odd exploits and situations occur from time to time. 

• Underworld houses or Abyss houses?  I didn't know there were house sin the Underworld?

Underworld houses or Abyss houses?  I didn't know there were house sin the Underworld?

I'm sure he will back that up with some screenshots.  Or maybe you can only see them with that client he endorses..
    edited September 2022
    “Sorry please pardon my ignorance, I am not understanding the difference between Abyss dungeon house and blackthorn dungeon house, because I don’t know about how the Abyss houses came to be, could you explain exactly how the houses in the abyss dungeon came to be there. A dev placed them there and then held a lottery??”
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2022
    Two corrections:

1. Existing legal dungeon houses only exist in Abyss, not underworld.

2. The two Abyss dungeon house can only be placed by Mesanna. Players cannot place another house on the same spot if the original falls. The system will show an error message if anyone tries to place.

A few years back, I was the first one who contacted Mesanna about the plot when one house on my shard fell, and there was an empty plot. She did the first raffle, placed a new house, and transferred to the new winner.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited September 2022
    “So Mesanna placed the house there originally? and never a player?

to an outside observer, the houses in Abyss look like a mistake and not part of the landscape”
    Yoshi said:
    “Sorry please pardon my ignorance, I am not understanding the difference between underworld dungeon house and blackthorn dungeon house, because I don’t know about how the underworld houses came to be, could you explain exactly how the houses in the abyss underworld dungeon came to be there. A dev placed them there and then held a lottery??”
    Yes when SA came out there was a lottery stone in Ter Mur for 2 house spots on each shard. 

I did not win one so I do not know the other details. But the winners took the blank plots. They were able to customize them like normal houses.
    Those houses can be traded. They can be set to public or private. Many shards have set up Tele tiles so you can go straight to those houses if you have completed the quest.

Sadly the one by the garbage area on LS was built like a wooden fort and has never been public or modified.

The houses in question were created because an EM had an event and used the EM version of Blackthorns dungeon.  Some players must have marked runes there and discovered they can place houses.

This happened last night.

So if you go to normal blackthorns you will see no houses. And no houses were ever there.
    Yoshi said:

to an outside observer, the houses in Abyss look like a mistake and not part of the landscape”
    The owners can customizey the houses as they please. So that's why they look out of place.

She gave them blank plots not built houses.
    Some UO players are devious little  >:)
    Pawain said:
    It's a split second decision that could cost you plats. They should not have been able to mark or place...
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:

In the earlier days, the original plot could be placed by someone else at Mythic. The recent ones after the original fell are placed by her.

I was the idiot trying to place on the empty Abyss plot several times before I gave up and emailed Mesanna.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited September 2022
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    It's a split second decision that could cost you plats. They should not have been able to mark or place...
    Well maybe we can go back in time and tell that EM to not use that place for their Event.  Anything constructive you can add?
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Well maybe we can go back in time and tell that EM to not use that place for their Event.  Anything constructive you can add?
    Don't blame players for em mistakes?
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:

Exploiting game mechanics has been against the rules since UO began.  UO does thousands of things could you keep up with all of them all the time?  Apply for a Job at UO and get it so we can critique your work on a constant basis.
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:

Exploiting game mechanics has been against the rules since UO began.  UO does thousands of things could you keep up with all of them all the time?  Apply for a Job at UO and get it so we can critique your work on a constant basis.
    Marking a rune in a place its not allowed an exploit marking one legally is not 
  • You should've seen the time that a few of us acquired runes to Green Acres (the area reserved for GMs/Devs to have their houses at).
    Or when you were able to place small cottages inside Despise.
    Or even place smaller houses on top of the roof of Large Towers, Keeps, and Castles.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The Abyss houses were part of a quest chain, a contest. There's a title that goes with each house. The winner of the Elf/Human contest became 'Ranger of the Abyss' the winner of the Gargoyle contest 'Warder of the Abyss'. This was part of the introduction of the Stygian Abyss expansion in 2010.
  • Dont forget small houses ontop the buildings in the Hedge Maze  ;)
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited September 2022
    Yoshi said:

Not part of the landscape? Perhaps. She's a beautiful haven in hell regardless.
    Goodness knows what game politics I had to navigate in order to get her.
    Which reminds me, is anyone old enough to remember the old science fiction and fantasy anthologies written about 40 years ago under the title, "Heroes in Hell." I had Luftwaffe General Goring's place from that series in mind when designing this. Highly recommended reading.